Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I have one Cold Blue disc by Chas Smith.  I listened to it once & don't remember a thing about it.

(...)

Did you at least awake refreshed?

biglaugh.gif

wtf is "cold blue"? some hard rock double delta label?

Cold Blue

I googled and found it myself. Obviously no metal, but what IS it? Mood music? Bubbling electronica? Those write ups sound quite new-agey, and I don't know any of the artists involved, so... please enlighten me!

No comment

:rmad:

So my notion *was* right, in the end?

Go for Ludwig Van for lashings of the ultraviolent! :)

Guess there's not the slightest need in ordering any of the blue stuff, yes? Though what 7/4 wrote makes them sound a little less bad...

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does one get any other mail from the fellas, or just the PayPal one? I have only gotten the PayPal message that I sent the money, not heard anything else.

ubu

I received an email from Rossbin stating that the discs were being mailed.

Thanks for telling, John! It's been 24 hours now that I sent the money, so I hope I'll get a message pretty soon, too!

Thanks for telling, John! It's been 24 hours now that I sent the money, so I hope I'll get a message pretty soon, too!

I got the email two days after paying, so don't worry yet!

Yes, I'm not worried as it's a mailing confirmation mail! That may take a few days - I would be worried only if it was an order confirmation mail, because that should come faster than after two days!

Yes, I'm not worried as it's a mailing confirmation mail! That may take a few days - I would be worried only if it was an order confirmation mail, because that should come faster than after two days!

I also ordered five CDs from Rossbin and did not get a confirmation from them at all. CDs, however, arrived after less than one week.

I also ordered five CDs from Rossbin and did not get a confirmation from them at all. CDs, however, arrived after less than one week.

Thanks! I'm just a bit anxious because from the two items I ordered one has "very few" left and another one is on the endangered list, too... I hope the best!

Thanks! I'm just a bit anxious because from the two items I ordered one has "very few" left and another one is on the endangered list, too... I hope the best!

Flurin, if you don't get some of the Rossbin stuff, I will gladly provide a worthy substitute in the form of some ultraviolent music... :rhappy:

Martin, did you get Vapirov's CDs already? Any thoughts?

Д.Д., I had to postpone my AVA order, as I gravely overstretched my budget in the past few months. As you can guess, the arrival of Leo's April press release did not help to readjust my bank account. Nor did the acquisition of a dvd player. Sooner or later I WILL get back to Anatoly Vapirov, but it may take me a couple of weeks/months.

I am thinking about placing another (small!) Rossbin order. Two of those "very few copies" discs look quite appealing to me...

Re: Rossbin

I was quite surprised to see that those discs were sent from Spain (no sender's address on the envelope, but Spanish stamps).

Perhaps that is how he avoids trouble with the "notoriously bad" Italian postal service.

Out of the two I have heard so far I prefer Luwa. I must have listened to that disc at least once a day for the first few days afterI received it.

Tony described it as new age (puking icon here).

I am already enquiring in the office if anybody enjoys new age music - I feel I will have a few of discs available for presents (puking new age icon here).

I wouldn't call it new age, this is ambient music. It's too sinister to be new age.

OKKADISK New Release (out May 6th) OD12059

The Peter Brцtzmann Chicago Tentet

"Be Music, Night"

Featuring Mike Pearson

A Homage to Kenneth Patchen

Peter Brцtzmann - Mats Gustafsson - Ken Vandermark

reeds

Joe McPhee trumpet/alto sax

Jeb Bishop trombone

Fred Lonberg-Holm cello

Kent Kessler bass

Paal Nilssen-Love - Michael Zerang drums

Mike Person voice

Recorded by Bob Weston Nov. 5&6 2004

"Be Music, Night"

Featuring Mike Pearson

Peter Brцtzmann - Mats Gustafsson - Ken Vandermark

reeds

Joe McPhee trumpet/alto sax

Jeb Bishop trombone

Fred Lonberg-Holm cello

Kent Kessler bass

Paal Nilssen-Love - Michael Zerang drums

Mike Person voice

Recorded by Bob Weston Nov. 5&6 2004

Interesting. Bob Weston is the bass player in Shellac and mostly records hard rock bands. I wonder if his engineering will work well for this band. I'm not familiar with Mike Pearson at all, and I have trouble imagining vocals working well with a group of this size and energy. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

Flurin, if you don't get some of the Rossbin stuff, I will gladly provide a worthy substitute in the form of some ultraviolent music... :rhappy:

bluish stuff, you mean :g

seriously: you got all of their releases? and all are crap-ish? doesn't sound so bad from what 7/4 posted... there may be at least one or two worthwhile things there?

Patchen quickly touched base with the beats, but that's about all I know about him... there's another Kenneth, Rexroth, to make things more confusing, but he, too, only was marginally involved with the beats. If this is sort of a new and Bötz-ish attempt at "jazz and poetry", it might be worth hearing, indeed!

"Be Music, Night"

Featuring Mike Pearson

As I am (as usual) clueless...

Kenneth Patchen Home Page

Which reminds me this wonderful disc Brötzmann devoted to Patchen's poetry:

fmpcd125.jpg

This is the disc to hear Brötzmann, The Saxophonist.

Edited by Д.Д.

I recently ordered the new William Parker Quartet disc Sound Unity from Aum Fidelity. If you enjoyed O'Neal's Porch grab a copy of the new one immediately. Same lineup, recorded live on their Canadian Tour during the summer of 2004.

As much as I enjoy this group and this album I do feel it starts off a bit slowly, and doesn't grab me as much as I expected it to. Perhaps the disc was arranged like a live set, with the band taking some time to warm up and really take off. Hamid is a monster, and the whole band sounds great, so I definitely recommend this one. However, if you were lukewarm on the earlier disc, you could safely give this one a pass, too.

Guest Chaney

Two new releases coming from 482 Music on May 24, 2005:

Anthony Braxton / Matt Bauder: 2 + 2 Compositions (Matt who?)

braxton200.jpg

This one looks interesting:

Natto Quartet: Thousand Oaks

natto2_200.jpg

Philip Gelb (shakuhachi), Shoko Hikage (koto), Tim Perkis (electronics), Chris Brown (piano)

Natto Quartet

The Natto Quartet is a San Francisco Bay Area ensemble that explores the possibilities of timbre and group interaction with its unique instrumentation, juxtaposition of cultural traditions and collectively improvised approach. Shakuhachi player Philip Gelb, koto player Shoko Hikage, pianist/electronic musician Chris Brown, and electronics pioneer Tim Perkis find common ground in the extended and experimental technique associated with improvised music. Their beautiful, elastic music is like none other being performed today, spanning the boundaries of traditional Asian music, electronica, and free jazz.

Trio Natto was formed in 2000 and have performed throughout the Bay Area and Japan. They explore the unique combination of two ancient Japanese instruments with a live electronic improviser and are often joined by Chris Brown on grand piano, who becomes a member of Natto Quartet with this recording.

Shoko Hikage began learning koto aged three. She graduated from Takasaki College with a major in Koto music and went on to become a research student in Sawai Sokyoku where she received her master's certificate. Hikage currently teaches koto at the Japanese Cultural Community Center, Northern California.

Philip Gelb focuses on playing shakuhachi in new music. He has performed throughout America, Europe and Japan as a soloist and in numerous ensembles. Gelb studied ethnomusicology at the Florida State University School of Music and he currently teaches and performs in the San Francisco Bay Area as well as curating the music series at Meridian Gallery, SF.

Tim Perkis has worked in the medium of live and electronic computer sound for many years - performing, exhibiting and recording throughout North America and Europe. Perkis is a founder of the computer music band The Hub and often performs in the improvised music scene. His work explores the emergence of life-like properties in complex systems of interaction.

Chris Brown, composer, pianist and electronic musician composes for acoustic instruments with interactive electronics, for computer networks and improvising ensembles. Recent compositions explore polyrhythms using piano, percussion, DJ and computer. He teaches electronic music at Mills College in Oakland, where he is Co-Director for Contemporary Music.

I'm not familiar with this particular lineup but do have this Leo Lab title:

ll055.jpg

Edited by Chaney

Two new releases coming from 482 Music on May 24, 2005:

Anthony Braxton / Matt Bauder: 2 + 2 Compositions (Matt who?)

Matt Bauder's Weary Already on the Way (482 Music, 2003) is truly fascinating. Very original composer. I am only halfway through it, and it's the first listen, so this is as much as I can say at the moment. 482 Music website has plenty of reviews.

ANd yeah, some sound samples at CDBaby.

Not sure I am that much interested in hearing more recent Braxton, though.