Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

I'm not familiar with this particular lineup but do have this Leo Lab title:

ll055.jpg

... which, as far as I remember sucks big deal. Gotta check it out again.

Since we are at it, here is another one that sucks (IMO): Brett Larner / Toshimaru Nakamura - "after school activity" (impermanent recordings). Same note (might be a chord, not sure now - no way I will check it again in the near future) plucked on koto at constant interval with extremely monotonous colorless humm at the background for 20 minutes. Give me a break.

At the same time, I remember enjoying Brett Larner's duo with Anthony Braxton (on Leo) quite a bit.

Edited by Д.Д.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also ordered five CDs from Rossbin and did not get a confirmation from them at all. CDs, however, arrived after less than one week.

My cds arrived today, less than a week after ordering. No jewel cases for four of them (the earlier discs were all in slipcovers originally) but that is not a problem for me.

Guest Chaney

I'm not familiar with this particular lineup but do have this Leo Lab title:

ll055.jpg

... which, as far as I remember sucks big deal. Gotta check it out again.

I like this one alot.

Maybe it's because the musicians involved met for the first time face to face just 30 minutes prior to this live date, each player is very sympathetic that what the other and all are playing. I don't recall the last disk I've heard on which it was so apparent that the players were listening very intently to one another and reacting to each other is so transparent a way.

Gotta love the instruments involved; not a great range of sound but each instrument / musician is able to play in a minimalist way and then go all frenetic, and the music never gets too loud.

Edited by Chaney

Guest Chaney

Did a search on Matt Bauder, and here is what I found: Locust Music.

Any recommendations?

As I've never before encountered this label nor the musicians performing on/for same, I can't be of help.

I was tempted to agree with Jon but then had a listen to some of the sound samples and was somewhat impressed with what I heard. Josephine Foster sounds especially interesting.

Further listening and reading is required.

Gonna do some listening this weekend.

Have you listened to any of those?

A couple of the shorter pieces.

Nothing really jumped out at me screaming HOLY CRAP! LISTEN TO THIS! but I'll have a better listen this weekend.

Actually, as they can be downloaded, I may download the bunch, burn 'em to cheap CDs and listen on my stereo, rather than sitting in front of my computer doing the streaming audio thing.

ON THE EDIT: Later that night...

klaus filip / taku unami: at dornerplatz 0:14:05 :tup

I'm listening to some of the other pieces and I like what I'm hearing. :rlol

AND ON THE FOLLOWING DAY...

boris hauf (sax), lukas knoefler (drums), achim tang (bass): slow ball 0:06:14 :tup

ruth weiss(voice), boris hauf(sax), lulkas knoefler(drums), achim tang(bass): white is all colours 0:12:06 :tup

ruth weiss(voice),boris hauf(sax), lukas knoefler(drums),achim tang(drums): light works 0:20:20 :tup

Finally gave a listen to these ones. FIlip / Unami I found quite boring, but Boris Hauf I like a lot. Did a search and found his website and mosz records.

I've heard one disc on this label, the solo Martin Siewert, and it was very different than I expected. Almost "poppy." The other releases look interesting. I'd really like to hear the upcoming release of "brandlmayr.fennesz.dafeldecker." Supposedly Thrill Jockey will; be distributing this label in the U.S., but nothing seems to be loaded on their site so far.

Friends, surely this is not a revelation for you, but I still have to say it.

This:

e85667y4z1m.jpg

is a stunning album.

If anybody (John B?) for whatever reason does not have it, he should remedy it immidiately (as the CD is long OOP).

Guest Chaney

Recalling and judging by the enthusiasm expressed in this thread for No Try No Fail, I would have to guess that it would be a contender for the Funny Rat Top Ten.

Which reminds me: I haven't listened to this one is a while. Time to right that wrong.

Guest Chaney

WOW! Never saw that site before. Looks VERY interesting.

Anyone (David?) have any experience with this material?

The Cortical Foundation is sponsored in part by Bryston Ltd.
If I only could afford their gear, MAN would I love to own Bryston components.

You're talking about amps, aren't you? I once owned a Bryston 4B power amp and hated it. Very bright and harsh sounding, it made my ears bleed.

Sorry to derail the thread...

WOW! Never saw that site before. Looks VERY interesting.

Anyone (David?) have any experience with this material?

Not yet, just stumbled upon the site today. Really interested in Bailey/Bennink disc and in Riley discs (will get a couple of them randomly - Riley with Chet Baker?!?!).

Somebody proclaimed himself to be a insatiable West Coast music explorer. Will the 10-CD Los Angeles Free Music Society set suffice for a starter?

Edited by Д.Д.

Guest Chaney

You're talking about amps, aren't you? I once owned a Bryston 4B power amp and hated it. Very bright and harsh sounding, it made my ears bleed.

EEEEK! As I thoroughly respect your opinion (and ears), I'd take your word on that.

My opinion is not based upon listening but simply on having read reviews over the years. (I believe a Stereophile big-wig's referense system consists of Bryston components. Or is it the abso!ute sound?) I'm growing more and more dissatisfied with my Krell amp and just might move on to something else, whenever finances might allow. I'm also tiring of my Thiel speakers. (The Thiel 3.6 is mostly likely just too big for my listening room. Have a read of the first two paragraphs of THIS SoundStage! piece.) (The Thiels also sound better with more amp power driving them.)

Time to rebuild. :(

Edited by Chaney

Guest Chaney

Somebody proclaimed himself to be a insatiable West Coast music explorer.  Will the 10-CD Los Angeles Free Music Society set suffice for a starter?

That looks mighty interesting but after having read what's on the first two disks, I'm afraid! (I'll read the rest.) ON THE EDIT: Darn! There is no 'rest'!

Never heard of these performers but as we're talking early and mid-'70s, that's no surprise.

10. JOE'S NOSE SOLO Chip, rhythm guitar, editing; Rick, electric piano; Joe, nose; Tom, snare drum, slide guitar. It erupted spontaneously through Joe's nasal cavity in a recording session and was subsequently altered to its present form. 1975.

13. WHAT DO YOU DO, RADIATOR? Chip, electric guitar, Buchla, vocals; Rick, plastic violin, vocals; Joe, vocals; Tom, vocals. This piece arose mysteriously during a Sunday night session. 1975. + THE GROCERY STORE IS MY HEAVEN Chip, electric guitar; Rick, sax; Joe, Univox; Steve Jackson, electric bass; Bill Dunn, missing vocals. A version of this tune would have appeared in the soundtrack of a movie, but Bill couldn't find the vegetable market where he was to be shot. 1974.

:D

Sounds like 10 disks of insanity.

I'm intrigued.

Edited by Chaney

EEEEK! As I thoroughly respect your opinion (and ears), I'd take your word on that.

My opinion is not based upon listening but simply on having read reviews over the years. (I believe a Stereophile big-wig's referense system consists of Bryston components. Or is it the abso!ute sound?) I'm growing more and more dissatisfied with my Krell amp and just might move on to something else, whenever finances might allow. I'm also tiring of my Thiel speakers. (The Thiel 3.6 is mostly likely just too big for my listening room. Have a read of the first two paragraphs of THIS SoundStage! piece.) (The Thiels also sound better with more amp power driving them.)

Time to rebuild. :(

I currently own a Mark Levinson 383 integrated amp with Dutch Audiostatic electrostatic speakers, which were fitted with the panels of Audiostatic's newest reference speakers last year, and a REL subwoofer. It's a highly analytical system which measures flat in my apartment, but I find it too analytical at times, especially with today's CD remastering techniques (compression/maximization/loudness/bumped-up highs).

Sorry to crap the thread again...

Guest Chaney

Liquid. The sound of my next system must be described as liquid. Tubes? Not of the esoteric variety, though. (Are there any of the non-esoteric variety?) Maybe a McIntosh solid state amp, which is said to retain the McIntosh tube sound? (I have a local dealer that handles the McIntosh line.)

Just thinking aloud, at this point.

Edited by Chaney

Liquid.  The sound of my next system must be described as liquid.  Tubes?  Not of the esoteric variety, though.  (Are there any of the non-esoteric variety?)  Maybe a McIntosh solid state amp, which is said to retain the McIntosh tube sound?  (I have a local dealer that handles the McIntosh line.)

Just thinking aloud, at this point.

Tubes certainly require more maintenance than solid-state gear, wich can be a problem if you're a technical nitwit like I am. I once owned an Audio Research (tube) amp, and it was a disaster. It constantly needed fine-tuning/adjusting and could sound very bright and distorted in less than optimal circumstances.

This:

e85667y4z1m.jpg

is a stunning album.

If anybody (John B?) for whatever reason does not have it, he should remedy it immidiately (as the CD is long OOP).

never heard this disc. If anyone sees a used copy available please send me a PM, as I would love to hear it!

Somebody proclaimed himself to be a insatiable West Coast music explorer.  Will the 10-CD Los Angeles Free Music Society set suffice for a starter?

There was quite a bit of discussion of this set over at IHM. I seem to recall it being described as quite a mixed bag, to be polite. I think someone posted that the set pops up on ebay from time to time rather inexpenively, but still not something I've ever felt the need to track down.

Edited by John B

Guest Chaney

Tubes certainly require more maintenance than solid-state gear, wich can be a problem if you're a technical nitwit like I am. I once owned an Audio Research (tube) amp, and it was a disaster. It constantly needed fine-tuning/adjusting and could sound very bright and distorted in less than optimal circumstances.

I went to me dealer yesterday and he recommended the (CD player) Audio Research CD 3MKII.

Probably more than I want to spend but I'll add it to the list.

This:

e85667y4z1m.jpg

is a stunning album.

never heard this disc. If anyone sees a used copy available please send me a PM, as I would love to hear it!

John: I believe I have a used copy (heh-heh), if you're interested. p_pm.gif:w

There was quite a bit of discussion of this set over at IHM. I seem to recall it being described as quite a mixed bag, to be polite. I think someone posted that the set pops up on ebay from time to time rather inexpenively, but still not something I've ever felt the need to tarck down.

This one looks slightly interesting but I'm guessing that getting through the set would be an ordeal.

Edited by Chaney

John, Thrill Jockey should have the Mosz stuff, I thought FE picked it up also, maybe not. Pita has an upcoming disc on there, curious to hear that one. the solo Hauf isn't too far from the solo Siewert you mentioned, definitely towards the pop end of things, albeit in a more sophisticated Vienna way. Yuko listens to a ton of this stuff, my favorite disc in this vein is the Mimi Secue-Forst (Karate Joe), which I did stock a few copies of, very nice disc.

Cortical Foundation: they did some amazing stuff, but maybe 3-4 years ago, Gary Todd, the guy who runs it, fell out of his window and mostly paralyzed himself, effectively ending the label's operations. I'd avoid the LAFMS box, and maybe look for individual releases from the best band in that scene, the awfully titled Smegma. the release I totally love from them, but that's a bit of a rip-off, is Terry Riley-You're No Good. it's a double CD for $30 or so, but only the first CD is essential, and it's a very short piece. but it's still worth your money, easily my favorite release ever from the Glass/Riley/Reich crew.