Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

"Science Friction" and "Open/Coma" are the only officially released Berne discs I have, so far, but I think both are excellent! Just to add my opinion on Berne. I'll have to pick up both his box set offerings, some day! I definitely want to hear more!

Those are both really inexpensive through Screwgun. The Empire box is on sale for $6 a disc ($30) and the Bloodcount box is $28 for 3 discs or, if you buy all three Bloodcount releases, $40 for 5 discs. Not too shabby.

Yes, I'm aware of this - really good prizes, indeed!

Anyone here familiar with "Ogloudoglou", the duo of drummer Michael Kiedaisch and singer Frank Wörner? Heard a broadcast of them interpreteing Scelsic, Cage, Billone and Xenakis. Maybe this goes beyond the rat's scope, but hey, we've discussed anything from Jelly Roll to da shit, so why not this!

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another first time listen today:

d285464430t.jpg

Assif Tsahar Trio - Ein Sof (Silkheart)

Tsahar on tenor, William Parker on bass, Susie Ibarra on drums. SINOW, but that might be overly generous. At almost 72 minutes this album just goes on for too long. The next time I spin this one I'll just listen to a few tracks because I was tired of this by track 8 or 9. Too much of the same over and over again. Ibarra is great, Parker is Parker and Tsahar is ok...probably better than on Shekhina, which I haven't listened to in a while but still nothing revelatory. As this was his first release, that is not surprising.

Ok but, given all the great music out there, nothing I would recommend tracking down right away

The World Turned Upside Down, on Erstwhile.

e34007pcnc9.jpg

TWTUD adds Keith Rowe to the mix and is, although still very pleasant and accessible compared to most eai, a busier album. Also very highly recommended.

I liked this one as well. Quite a gentle music indeed.

Another first time listen today:

d285464430t.jpg

Assif Tsahar Trio - Ein Sof (Silkheart)

Tsahar on tenor, William Parker on bass, Susie Ibarra on drums. SINOW, but that might be overly generous. At almost 72 minutes this album just goes on for too long. The next time I spin this one I'll just listen to a few tracks because I was tired of this by track 8 or 9. Too much of the same over and over again. Ibarra is great, Parker is Parker and Tsahar is ok...probably better than on Shekhina, which I haven't listened to in a while but still nothing revelatory. As this was his first release, that is not surprising.

Ok but, given all the great music out there, nothing I would recommend tracking down right away

I didn't like this one and sold it, though I agree that Ibarra is great.

~~~~~~~~~~

R O S S B I N  :huh:

~~~~~~~~~~

No experience yet, but I want to order three of these. (Neumann/Nakamura, Kawasaki / Kahn, Muller / Nmperign) One is now OOP, so I'll have to grab a copy asap.

I'd be very interested to read Jon's thoughts on these titles, if he checks in again and sees this.

I have one, and it's excellent:

Riding the eai wave, listened to nperign / Günter Müller release "More Gloom, More Light" (on Rossbin Records). Good stuff.

nperign is Greg kelley on trumpet and Bhob Riney on saxophones; Müller handles percussion and electronics. nperign guys mostly create breathing/clicking sounds of various level of unglyness, and Müller mostly plays with drone sounds. Might sound like something not particularly exciting, but you do get drawn in since it all has amazing focus -everything is where itis supposed to be when it is supposed to be, and in the light of my recent interest in pure sound, I find the whole listening very rewarding.

nmperign_muller_big.jpg

I just noticed that all Rossbin discs are only 6 euros ($7.84) shipped anywhere in the world. That is a great deal.

so far I've heard two of the Rossbins: Neumann / Nakamura - Aton and Kawasaki / Akiyama / Kahn - Luwa and have really enjoyed both. So far Luwa has received more play, and would probably be the more accesible of the two. Aton is currently oop, but I've seen copies floating around. (for a lot more than the price direct from Rossbin, unfortunately.)

f81056gjtm0.jpg

f82876cova5.jpg

Brian Olewnick's reviews on AMG are excellent:

Aton

Luwa

Edited by John B

I've also been listening to two new solo discs from trumpeter Greg Kelley. The first, I Don't Want to Live Forever is the first release on Little Enjoyer records (co-release with Gameboy Records) and is, after one listen, quite a scattered release. Some wheezes and moans and clicks from breath through mouthpiece, some oppresive drones, some harsh noise. The sound of the recording device being turned off and on is audible. One long track that feels like many distinct moments stitched together with perhaps not enough attention to flow and coherency. The second disc, Despair is Sin, is a self-released cdr (edition of 30) and is 18 minutes of electronic music, morphing into some fairly harsh, although, to my ears, not altogether unpleasant, noise. This one is far more coherent and, although brief, satisfying.

Guest Chaney

Rob,

I've finally had a chance to listen to The Shell Game and I really enjoyed it.  I don't find it to be as good as Hard Cell Live, but I dig it.

I do agree with Chaney on the recording quality.  This disc has a fairly harsh, brittle sound that I am not crazy about.  The music, however, is quite good, in my opinion.

Glad you enjoyed it! :tup

From the Leo Records April press release:

5 new releases, including:

another Braxton 4-CD Standards box,

Wadada Leo Smith quintet - judging from the blurb something along the lines of Miles' fusion stuff (Leo considers this one to be among his 10-15 best releases ever)

Braxton / Walter Franks duo (Franks is a pianist)

Evan Parker & September Winds (the one released by the same group a couple of years ago was quite strong)

Fredrik Soegaard & Hasse Poulsen duo

Leo found a couple of copies of OOP

John Wolf Brennan Hextet - "Through the Ear of a Raindrop"

Carlo Actis Dato & Kazutoki Umezu - "Wake Up With the Birds"

Simon Nabatov & Hann Bennink - "Chat Room"

I urge you to get Actis Dato and Nabatov/Bennink CDs (Brenan might be good as well, but I haven't heard it).

Also, Leo started distributing Russian Long Arms label - including just released Peter Brötzmann solo CD called Petroglyphs.

Guest Chaney

That's funny. I almost visited the Leo site yesterday wondering if there'd be anything new but thought, No, Leo just released a bunch of disks.

They're really coming fast and furious, eh?

Edited by Chaney

for those of you interested in exploring eai, I just saw this posted elsewhere:

"For anyone interested, I'll be playing ErstLive 005 in its entirety tonight (wednesday) on my radio show.

It'll be 9pm-1am est, and on 90.3 fm for those in Boston. Everyone else can listen to webstreams at http://wzbc.org"

ErstLive005 is a three disc set, running almost four hours in length, featuring Keith Rowe / Sachiko M / Toshimaru Nakamura / Otomo Yoshihide. I like the album so far, but it is hard to get a handle on in its entirety.

That's funny.  I almost visited the Leo site yesterday wondering if there'd be anything new but thought, No, Leo just release a bunch of disks.

They're really coming fast and furious, eh?

8 cds of Braxton standards in how many months? He's going to make the Vandermark Alchemia set seem moderate in comparison.

Edited by John B

Guest Chaney

I've been listening to Giacinto Scelsi: Les cinq Quators a Cordes / Trio a Cordes / Khoom -- Quator Arditti on Salabert Actuels / Harmonia Mundi France. (Basically, the five string quartets as performed by the Arditti String Quartet; a trio piece; and Khoom, for soprano and six instruments.)

Can anyone comment on Scelsi and/or the rather extensive offerings on Mode?

Edited by Chaney

just ordered the following four Rossbins:

NMperign/Günter Müller: "More gloom, more light"

Kawasaki / Akiyama / Kahn: "Luwa"

Assumed Possibilities: "Still Point"

Alvin Curran / Domenico Sciajno: "our ur"

Hope I'll like them!

Thanks to double delta, John B and Nate for recommending the first three, the fourth I'll have to blame myself if I don't like it...

ubu

Guest Chaney

That's funny.  I almost visited the Leo site yesterday wondering if there'd be anything new but thought, No, Leo just release a bunch of disks.

Their really coming fast and furious, eh?

8 cds of Braxton standards in how many months? He's going to make the Vandermark Alchemia set seem moderate in comparison.

John: Please don't quote me until I've had time to correct my spelling errors.

:winky:

Hope I'll like them!

Thanks to double delta, John B and Nate for recommending the first three, the fourth I'll have to blame myself if I don't like it...

ubu

Let us know what you think! I've got three of those en route to me now, too.

I've been listening to Giacinto Scelsi: Les cinq Quators a Cordes / Trio a Cordes / Khoom -- Quator Arditti on Salabert Actuels / Harmonia Mundi France. (Basically, the five string quartets as performed by the Arditti String Quartet; a trio piece; and Khoom, for soprano and six instruments.)

I'm not familiar with his work at all but there was recently a discussion over at JC.

Hope I'll like them!

ubu

Three of those on my list? if so, as you have "luwa", you ordered the Curran, too?

Got some tape or minidisc with some performance of his Simphonia or what it's called, though it has been long since I had that in my hands... can't remember if/how much I liked it.

Hope I'll like them!

ubu

Three of those on my list? if so, as you have "luwa", you ordered the Curran, too?

Got some tape or minidisc with some performance of his Simphonia or what it's called, though it has been long since I had that in my hands... can't remember if/how much I liked it.

I just checked and that is not completely correct. I ordered "our ur" and "More gloom, more light," but not the Assumed Possibilities disc.

I have a bunch of Scelsi, but it's been a few years since I've heard them. I'll have to dig them out and give them a spin.

"our ur" sounds remarkable!

The other one you didn't order is the one Nate recommended a few pages up.

Which is the third you ordered? Or did you order only two?

I ordered five:

Alvin Curran/Domenico Sciajno-Our Ur

Burkhard Beins/Dirk Marwedel/Michael Vorfeld-Misiiki

Taku Sugimoto/Annette Krebs-Eine Gitarre Ist Eine Gitarrre Ist Keine Gitarre Ist Eine Gitarre

Nmperign / Günter Müller - More gloom, more light

Fages / Barberán / Monteiro - Atolon

I'll get the Assumed Possibilities disc at some point if you recommend it.