Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

If anyone's interested...

LS025

Jack Wright Large Ensemble

8x9

**now available the last 8 copies** email me to reserve a copy (still $10)

recorded by John Shiurba 3/7/00

8 tracks, 74 minutes, limited to 109 numbered copies.

Available May 31, 2001.

Jack Wright-saxophones, Bhob Rainey- soprano saxophone, Ma++ Ingalls-clarinet, Morgan Guberman & Matthew Sperry- contrabass, Tom Djll- trumpet, Ron Heglin- tuba, John Shiurba- guitar, Karen Stackpole percussion

e-mail: shiurba@pacbell.net

Limited Sedition

I placed an order for the four Matthew Sperry memorial disks. :tup

WTF! A very young Sperry and "the infamous nose flute!"

03061806_G.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~

sfSound.jpg

Edited by Chaney

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just been listening to ROVA/Orkestrova's Electric Ascension. Definitely one of the more stunning rackets I've heard this year. Anyone heard it & their earlier (acoustic) take on the piece? I should pick that one up too, obviously..... Anyway, great to hear folks like Nels Cline & Otomo Yoshihide let loose on the Coltrane classic. My ears are still throbbing.. :)

This might be a foolish question but is Zeena Parkins a member of this board?  I'm thinking of "rachel" and her mentioning that she was a musician who played Rat-type music.   It came up in the past and, after her dropping some clues and my exhaustive research (google), I was left with her being Zeena.  I think I'm wrong, though.

Sure you aren't thinking of Maren or another female? I know, it's hard to tell them apart. B-)

I just saw this today! (doing a search to make sure I wasn't duplicating mention of upcoming Mori/Parkins gig in Houston)

No, I'm not Zeena, but we're both on that Tom Cora tribute CD mentioned about 200 pages ago... (I've posted about her -- and neither she nor I would promote OURSELVES to that extent!)

This might be a foolish question but is Zeena Parkins a member of this board?  I'm thinking of "rachel" and her mentioning that she was a musician who played Rat-type music.   It came up in the past and, after her dropping some clues and my exhaustive research (google), I was left with her being Zeena.  I think I'm wrong, though.

Sure you aren't thinking of Maren or another female? I know, it's hard to tell them apart. B-)

I just saw this today! (doing a search to make sure I wasn't duplicating mention of upcoming Mori/Parkins gig in Houston)

No, I'm not Zeena, but we're both on that Tom Cora tribute CD mentioned about 200 pages ago... (I've posted about her -- and neither she nor I would promote OURSELVES to that extent!)

Hey maren - since you're digging these old posts out again, I thought it would be fair to let you know that the mystery was unveiled ;)

I'm not sure I've mentioned that here, btw, but the Mori/Parkins concert I saw in Zurich a few months ago was great!

Hey maren - since you're digging these old posts out again, I thought it would be fair to let you know that the mystery was unveiled ;)

:lol:

( I just hope Barbara Donald isn't being taken to task for anything dumb I've said here :unsure: )

I'm not sure I've mentioned that here, btw, but the Mori/Parkins concert I saw in Zurich a few months ago was great!

I saw them at Tonic here in NYC early in September... :tup:tup:tup

Looking for these three OOP Limited Sedition titles. Any leads appreciated. (I have an e-mail in to Tim Perkis. He's my last hope as I've managed to pester all the other musicians involved.)

splatter.jpeg

Dave Barrett/Myles Boisen/Gino Robair

SPLATTERARITIES

**Out Of Print**

Recorded 1987-98.

21 tracks, 62 minutes, limited to 87-98 numbered copies.

Available Nov 15, 1998.

Dave Barrett-reeds; Myles Boisen-guitar/bass; Gino Robair-percussion;

plus copious special guests

matthew.jpeg

Matt Ingalls/Tim Perkis/Gino Robair/John Shiurba

THE MATTHEW SPERRY TRIO

**Out Of Print**

Recorded live at the The Sweat Shop by Karen Stackpole 3/7/98.

8 tracks, 66 minutes, limited to 59 numbered copies.

Available July 24, 1998

Matt Ingalls-clarinet, violin; Tim Perkis-computer/electronics, viola;

Gino Robair-percussion, theremin, electronics; John Shiurba-guitar

bubble.jpeg

John Shiurba/Scott Rosenberg/Gino Robair

BUBBLE & SQUEAK

**Out Of Print**

Recorded at Guerrilla Recording by Myles Boisen, 6/1/97.

18 tracks, 65 minutes,limited to 76 numbered copies.

Available July 15, 1998.

John Shiurba-guitar; Scott Rosenberg-reeds; Gino Robair-percussion

~~~~~~~~~~

From Balance Point Acoustics:

Forthcoming:

bpa 010 "cruxes" aurora josephson/joelle leandre/damon smith/martin blume

bpa 011 "sextesence" john butcher/aaron bennett/henry kaiser/danielle degruttola/damon smith/jerome bryerton

Edited by Chaney

Yes, this Leo batch seems to be quite good. There's the Newton/Leandre, A Few Incidences by Simon Nabatov Octet (with Minton, Gratkowski, Fuhler, Wogram, Reijseger, Matt Penman, and Michael Sarin) and also Anthony Braxton Quintet's London 2004, Royal Festival Hall set, which - though I would have given it a pass - I remember some people raved about.

New release on Leo. Interested, Tony?

I may have to temporarily suspend that boycott that you insisted on instituting.

:w

I am actually really surprised Leo has not responded to you. Might have been busy screwing up all these stubbornly naive artists over and over again (is this something like 10th Leo release with Ms. Leandre or what? *).

Haven't listened to any music in last couple of weeks (well, nearly - some beautiful Afro-pop stuff like Salif Keita and Oumou Sangare), but will catch up soon, as I plan to visit the Total Musis Meeting in Berlin later this week.

-----------------

* - I counted - it's 11th. Lookng through the list of Ms. Leanndre's works on Leo, I remembered what a beautiful and funny disc E'vero, her duo with (Italian Instabile Orchestra) trombonist Sebi Tramontana is. Highly, highly recommended.

Still didn't manage to listen to Lenadre's duo with Lacy One more time till the end - first couple of attempts didn't leave me too inspired.

Now having started looking into this, what a massive discography Ms. Leandre have: http://www.shef.ac.uk/~ps/efi/mleandre.html !

I would be interested in hearing this John Cage #4 disc...

Edited by Д.Д.

I too was at least initially surprised that Leo didn't respond to my e-mailed concerns but a Rat regular warned me early on that Leo tends to ignore questions of my kind.

Yep, that's been my experience with him too. Actually, come to think of it I never received any response from him :angry::tdown

Edited by J.A.W.

On the other hand, I've found Leo to be quite responsive to my queries. So, as has been stated, it probably has to do with the tone or the content of the message.

He didn't answer any of my (friendly) e-mails, not even when I asked him about ordering directly from Leo Records and payment methods. I guess he just wasn't interested. He's lost me as a customer.

On the other hand, I've found Leo to be quite responsive to my queries. So, as has been stated, it probably has to do with the tone or the content of the message.

He didn't answer any of my (friendly) e-mails, not even when I asked him about ordering directly from Leo Records and payment methods. I guess he just wasn't interested. He's lost me as a customer.

Could it be you were using the wrong e-mail? He changed his e-mail earlier this year to leorecords at blueyonder.co.uk, so his old e-mail leorec at atlas.co.uk is not functional anymore.

Could it be you were using the wrong e-mail? He changed his e-mail earlier this year to leorecords at blueyonder.co.uk, so his old e-mail leorec at atlas.co.uk is not functional anymore.

I've e-mailed him a few times in 2003 and 2004 (but not in 2005) and, like I said, I never got a response.

For John B: no idea festival

David: If you're still looking to get a Matthew Sperry memorial disk, I've heard all four and this one is, in my most humble opinion, the best:

MS004.jpg

recorded 11/6/98 in Seattle by Doug Haire

3 tracks, 61 minutes,

Carla Kihlstedt-violin; Gino Robair-percussion, piano; Matthew Sperry-contrabas

Excellent music, highly recommended.

Edited by Chaney

For John Bno idea festival

David:  If you're still looking to get a Matthew Sperry memorial disk, I've heard all four and this one is, in my most humble opinion, the best:

MS004.jpg

recorded 11/6/98 in Seattle by Doug Haire

3 tracks, 61 minutes,

Carla Kihlstedt-violin; Gino Robair-percussion, piano; Matthew Sperry-contrabas

Excellent music, highly recommended.

Thanks Tony. I'll get it.

Yes, this Leo batch seems to be quite good. There's the Newton/Leandre, A Few Incidences by Simon Nabatov Octet (with Minton, Gratkowski, Fuhler, Wogram, Reijseger, Matt Penman, and Michael Sarin) and also Anthony Braxton Quintet's London 2004, Royal Festival Hall set, which - though I would have given it a pass -  I remember some people raved about.

I'm a little biased because I was there, but have since listened to the BBC broadcast several times, but: the Braxton is phenomenal. Everyone in the UK who's into this stuff has been talking about it. The whole band plays an absolute blinder (Taylor Ho Bynum in particular!)

Yes, this Leo batch seems to be quite good. There's the Newton/Leandre, A Few Incidences by Simon Nabatov Octet (with Minton, Gratkowski, Fuhler, Wogram, Reijseger, Matt Penman, and Michael Sarin) and also Anthony Braxton Quintet's London 2004, Royal Festival Hall set, which - though I would have given it a pass -  I remember some people raved about.

I'm a little biased because I was there, but have since listened to the BBC broadcast several times, but: the Braxton is phenomenal. Everyone in the UK who's into this stuff has been talking about it. The whole band plays an absolute blinder (Taylor Ho Bynum in particular!)

I've heard the Braxton set (on a webcast-sourced CDR, I think). Good one, yes!

Would be interested to hear more about the Nabatov if anyone gets it!

The Nabotov/Bennink (OOP now?) that I picked up upon David's recommendation is fabulous!

How's the Nabotov on hatOLOGY?

The Nabotov/Bennink (OOP now?) that I picked up upon David's recommendation is fabulous!

How's the Nabotov on hatOLOGY?

Nabatov on hatOLOGY is so-so - fairly regular, way-too-many notes (from Nabatov and from the drummer) muscular hard-bop stuff. What amazed me so much was how more thoughtful (and much less voluble) he is on Chat Room than anywhere else I've heard him.

From the What's New section of European Free Improvisation Pages:

One of the biggest surprises this month is the re-issue of several Nato and Chabada releases to celebrate their 25th anniversary, in special digipacks under the 'Hope Street' imprint: The Melody Four On request (a compilation); Kazuko Hohki and Steve Beresford's Chante Brigitte Bardot; Denis Colin & Les Arpenteurs with Etude de terrain; Deadly weapons from Steve Beresford/David Toop/John Zorn/Tonie Marshall; Lol Coxhill's Before my time; Conversations by the double bass duo of Francois Mechali/Beb Guerin; Tony Coe's songs of resistance, Les voix d'itxassou; and Steve Beresford's L'extraordinaire jardin de Charles Trenet .

~~~~~~~~~~

Site.gif