Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

DISCPLUS confirmed my order for hatOLOGY VAO and "Annette", as well as for Dunmall's "Ghostly Thoughts". Thanks, king ubu. Looking for Mengelberg now.

Chaney, I haven't received "Pigs...", nor have I received any response to my e-mails. I guess I have to file a complaint with somebody...

BTW, I got a spare copy of "Annette" here in Berlin, so I'll be eager to trade it.

Discplus confirmed my order of VAO, but they are now out of Ghostly Thoughts.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

DISCPLUS confirmed my order for hatOLOGY VAO...

Discplus confirmed my order of VAO, but they are now out of Ghostly Thoughts.

My order confirmed also.

CRIPES! I have so many on backorder I'd better cancel all those quick! If they all come through, I'm gonna be broke!

CRIPES!  I have so many on backorder I'd  better cancel all those quick!  If they all come through, I'm gonna be broke!

Tell me about it. Just today I received the news that the company has made mistake in the internal tax provision that is deducted from my salary (they were deducting way too little), so my bank account will be relieved of excessive CD budget in 2004.

Tony, I don't know whether you got any of the Cryptogramophone stuff. I listened to Alex Cline's "Sparks Fly Upwards" and it sounds new-agingly boring to me. I also listened to Jeff Gauthier's "The Mask" and it also, while very pretty, seems bland to me. But the Dresser stuff is a killer.

Edited by Д.Д.

Tony, I don't know whether you got any of the Cryptogramophone stuff. I listened to Alex Cline's "Sparks Fly Upwards" and it sounds new-agingly boring to me. I also listened to Jeff Gauthier's "The Mask" and it also, while very pretty, seems bland to me. But the Dresser stuff is a killer.

I've downloaded all of the (very generous) Cryptogramophone samples. (NOT a quick task with my dial-up connection.) I'm listening to and moving the samples that I like to a YES folder and the samples that I don't like to a NO folder.

In the NO folder thus far: Erik Friedlander's Quake and The Music of Eric von Essen Volume III.

And YES: Mark Dresser Trio: Aquifer. Wasn't too hot over the samples until I heard "FLBP", then... :o As best as I can tell, some of this has a bit of a 60s Jimmy Giuffre feel to it. :tup

I'm finding it a real necessity to NOT dive right in with this label but to FIRST digest the sound samples. (Unlike, let's say, hatWHATEVER titles, where it's not SHOULD I buy but HOW QUICKLY should I buy before it goes OOP.) The new-ageyness of some of the offerings -- not to mention the rock-n-roll elements of others -- is very scary.

On the other hand, I'm guessing that women (and some men?) who profess to not like jazz might very well like some of the titles offered. The von Essen really isn't too bad if you go for that type of jazz.

ON THE EDIT: After having listened to all of the sound samples, I believe I'll delete those sound samples and the Cryptogramophone bookmark and back out of the virtual room. Some very energetic and sometimes pretty music but, as I'm really not into the new age / fusion / prog-rock / world / jazz thingy, it's best that I not partake. (Can't remember whan I last heard so much electric violin!)

Nice but NO thank you. :rfr

Edited by Chaney

Д.Д. - are you aware that there is an ECM sale going on here (well, at least in Zurich). They sell 50 titles form the seventies for CHF 20 (the list price being Euro 15.5 or something, and the usual price in shops here being from 33-36CHF, that's quite alright).

I bought Jarrett's My Song and one or two others so far. The small brochure they have in the shops says sale until feb 04, but I would not trust that!

On the Gayle again: the drummers do change, not the bassists. It seems the the first drummer is simply on disc 1 and the second on disc 2.

Cool that this swiss online site works! I've got to put some orders there... but Chaney and Geoff seem to know the problem... HELL!

ubu

Д.Д. - are you aware that there is an ECM sale going on here (well, at least in Zurich). They sell 50 titles form the seventies for CHF 20 (the list price being Euro 15.5 or something, and the usual price in shops here being from 33-36CHF, that's quite alright).

I bought Jarrett's My Song and one or two others so far. The small brochure they have in the shops says sale until feb 04, but I would not trust that!

On the Gayle again: the drummers do change, not the bassists. It seems the the first drummer is simply on disc 1 and the second on disc 2.

Cool that this swiss online site works! I've got to put some orders there... but Chaney and Geoff seem to know the problem... HELL!

ubu

I'm not too much of a fan of ECM either, although there are some good records.

I don't really like the ECM sound.

... couw might do a little cover art ...

couw did his little cover art for Steamboat - Orange Slice. Please let me know which one you like best. Sorry to take this thread a bit off topic, but it seems to be as meandering and open ended as the jazz-style it is discussing, and it doesn't fit snug under its title either, so what the hell.

Maybe we should open a Free Jazz Hypervolume (no corner or space would do justice) thread

coverbread_kl.jpgcoverorange_kl.jpg

coverpilz_kl.jpgcover3_kl.jpg

traycard:

traycard_kl.jpg

spine:

spine_kl.jpg

Edited by couw

Wow John! Very very cool! I like all of them!

This one might be my favorite:

coverorange_kl.jpg

IMPORTANT: I do not know if my laptop will work these days!

PLEASE EVERYBODY SEND ME YOUR POSTAL ADRESSES TO MY ORGANISSIMO-PM BOX AGAIN! (Geoff, I just got yours... ;) )

I will get the discs tonight, and hope to be able to send them out tomorrow. I guess the ones going to the US and to Australia won't arrive in time...

John, you can PM us the links to your site and everybody can choose his own cover, no? Hell, real custom orange slices!

Very cool work, indeed! me likee!

ubu

Thanks for the info on ECM, ubu.

couw, great job. I like the one with three small images.

here comes the list, hope I make not too many errors, but being at work ;)

Abercrombie/Holland/DeJohnette, Getaway

Adams, Sound Suggestions

AEC, Nice Guys

P.Bley, Open to Love

Brand (Ibrahim), African Piano

Burton/Corea, Crystal silence

Burton, New quartet

Burton/Swallow, hotel hello

Burton Quartet, Passengers

Codona

Bill Connors, Of mist and melting

Corea, piano improvisations vol.1

Corea/Burton, IN concert Zurich

DeJohnette, New Directions

Garbarek, Sart

Garbarek/Stenson, Witchi-Tai-To

Garbarek, Places

Gismonti, Danca das cabecas

Mick Goodrick, IN Pas(s)ing

Haden/Garbarek/Gismonti, Folk songs

Holland, COnference of the birds

Holland, Emerald Tears

Jarrett, Facing you

Jarrettt Arbour Zena

Jarrett, Survivors' Suite

Jarrett, My Song

Jarrett, Spheres

Jarrett, Personal Mountains

Lande, Red Lanta

Liebman, Drum Ode

Pat Metheny Group

Metheny, Bright Size Life

Stephan Micus, Implosions

Paul Motian, COnception Vessel

Gary Peacock, December Poems

Barre Philipps, Mountainscaspes

Rava, Pilgrim & The Stars

Rypda, After the Rain

Rypdal, Waves

Stanko, Balladyna

Surman, Upon Reflection

Towner, SOlstice

Town,er Solo COncert

Vasconcelos, Saudades

Vesala, Satu

Vitous. First Meeting

Waldron, Free at Last

Weber, Colours of Chloe

Weber Yellow Fields

Wheeler, Gnu High

I have the HOlland (Conference...), Wheeler, Jarrett (My Song, Personal MOuntains); Garbarek Witchi-tia-to, Ibrahim, Towner Solo Concert and Weber Colours.. CDs. Like them all.

Surman, Stanko, Vesala, Waldron and some more of teh Jarretts would sure be worthwhile!

ubu

can someone tell me a bit more about this steamboat thing?

DAVID DRAMM : ORANGE SLICE

for 3 Trumpets, 2 Keyboards, 2 Bass Guitars, 2 Percussionists and Electronics

STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND Extended Ensemble:

Dominik Blum (CH): Hammond Organ/Analog Synthesizer/Piano; Gerard Bouwhuis (NL): Sampling Keyboard/Piano;

Marino Pliakas (CH): Bass Guitar;

Pete Wilson (UK): Bass Guitar;

Lucas Niggli (CH): Drums/Percussion;

Remo Signer (CH): Drums/Percussion;

Reijer Dorresteijn (NL): Trumpet;

Louis Lanzing (NL): Trumpet;

Bob Koertshuis (NL): Trumpet;

David Dramm (USA): Live Electronics

In 2000, the Dutch/German/Belgian festival Novembermusic gave composer David Dramm carte blanche to create an evening-length work for their three-city festival. The Amsterdam-based American composer has assembled a team of musicians from Switzerland, England and the Netherlands for his most ambitious instrumental work to date, Orange Slice.

Orange Slice borrows its intensely psychological character from the life and work of the visionary American artist, Gordon Matta-Clark (1943-1978). Matta-Clark is known for his audacious cuttings of abandoned buildings in New York, Antwerp and Paris. Using chainsaws, Matta-Clark created architectural sculptures of light and form, using basic shapes like spirals, wedges and crescents. Slicing through seilings, floors and walls, often from roof to ground floor, Matta-Clark cut most of his early buildings without permission, working at night. His improbable combination of 70s punk esthetic and a strong formal clarity is echoed in the massive, churning textures within the sharply articulated structure of Orange Slice. The three movement form of Orange Slice uses grand pianos whose large chords are often electronically distorted to produce feedback, virtuoso Hammond organ playing, shimmering bass guitar harmonics and long, sustained snare drum rolls which are timbrally enriched and accented with special preparations. The trumpets play both on and offstage, preferably in a back balcony behind the audience.

The hand-picked ensemble performs this marathon-scale work without a conductor. The keyboard/bass-guitar/drums trio STEAMBOAT SWITZERLAND, equally at home with the most complex modern music scores as with powerfull rock-influenced improvisations, forms an important role within the group. Paired with each player from Steamboat Switzerland is a second player of the same instrument. The Dutch pianist Gerard Bouwhuis has played in nearly every influential ensemble in Holland including Hoketus and Loos. Bass guitarist Pete Wilson is a founding member of the English Isbreaker ensemble and is internationally known for his high-energy renderings of music such as Micheal Gordon'sTrance.

Complemented with a strong Dutch trumpet trio that includes soloist Marco Blaauw (or Louis Lanzing) and Orkest de Volharding member Reijer Dorresteijn, the Orange Slice band is made up of players that combine passionate interpretions of modern music with a driving, pop music sensibility.

Source: http://www.marinopliakas.com/OS-promo.html

Hope this is of any use. I did include a little bit more information further up in this thread.

ubu

Abercrombie/Holland/DeJohnette, Getaway

Adams, Sound Suggestions

AEC, Nice Guys

P.Bley, Open to Love

Burton/Corea, Crystal silence

Burton, New quartet

Burton/Swallow, hotel hello

Burton Quartet, Passengers

Codona

Bill Connors, Of mist and melting

Corea, piano improvisations vol.1

Corea/Burton, IN concert Zurich

DeJohnette, New Directions

Garbarek, Sart

Garbarek, Places

Gismonti, Danca das cabecas

Mick Goodrick, IN Pas(s)ing

Haden/Garbarek/Gismonti, Folk songs

Lande, Red Lanta

Liebman, Drum Ode

Pat Metheny Group

Stephan Micus, Implosions

Gary Peacock, December Poems

Rava, Pilgrim & The Stars

Rypda, After the Rain

Rypdal, Waves

Stanko, Balladyna

Surman, Upon Reflection

Towner, SOlstice

Vasconcelos, Saudades

Vesala, Satu

Vitous. First Meeting

Weber Yellow Fields

anyone able to give some info or shortest reviews about any of the above discs?

I guess I don't need all the Burton and Corea stuff (though I like the Atlantic album Burton did with Jarrett! And the Throb Burton album attached to the Jarrett/Burton on the Rhino CD is pretty cool, too!).

Codona, Vasconcelos, Gismonti and the Folks songs one look like world music rather than jazz, yes?

Never heard Ortega before. How's his HatOLOGIES?

Ubu, suggest you look for 'New Dance' which was reissued on Hatology. You're in for a treat!! I have been rediscovering Ortega for years.

Thanks, brownie - that's the one our russian friend (you remember him, don't you?) mentioned as even better, I guess!

Would you be interested in getting a Steamboat CDR, too? Feel free, if you like, there's a couple of them left. Just please pm me your postal address as my notebook is down at the moment.

Do you have any more information on Ortega? I know his name, I know he was in the backing band of a Johnny Hartman Bethlehem album in the fifties, and shows up on some other things I have (all without solo space for horns), and I have seen teh two hatOLOGY albums, but never yet listened to them.

Seems he's a pretty interesting character!

ubu

These are the ones I have heard and recommend.

P.Bley, Open to Love

This is one of Bley's solo albums, and indeed it is a wonderful album. Bley was a hugely influencial pianist, and in the late 50s, 1958 he would creat a band that would become (minus him) Ornette Coleman's long time Quartet. He also recorded his debut album with Charles Mingus! This is to me one of Bley's best solo albums. It gets my star of approval.

Brand (Ibrahim), African Piano

King Ubu already has this, I think it is another fantastic solo piano album. The most interesting aspect is that it doesn't have the ECM sound. It was recorded by Japo production and it is suprisingly lo-fi for an ECM recording. I think even the piano is out of tune, but it is no matter to Dollar Brand. He uses african rhythm and melody in his one continous improvisation and the traditional western tuning system is largely irrelevant to what he plays on the album. This has been for a long time one of my favourite ECM albums. Essential!

Holland, COnference of the birds

This is my favourite Dave Holland recording. What more could you ask for, it features Anthony Braxton AND Sam Rivers!! It is beautiful, I especially like the flute playing. It is a fantastic album and highly recommended, with my star of approval

Jarrett, Facing you

I actually found this album on LP, it remains the only ECM recording I have on vinyl. (I am only 19 so I don't have too many LPs). I wouldn't give this my full seal of approval, but it is a pretty nice album. It was one of Jarrett's earlier solo recordings. So it gives an interesting prospective on what was to come.

Stanko, Balladyna

Tomasz Stanko is one of my favourite trumpeters, and I especially love his work with Kyzsztof Komeda. I actually havn't heard this cd, so I'm cheating. I just love Stanko's playing. It must be worth it just for him!

These I would like to hear maybe?

Surman, Upon Reflection

Waldron, Free at Last

Wheeler, Gnu High

Ubu, Anthony Ortega is one of those creative musicians that keep getting forgotten. He was playing alto in the 1953 Lionel Hampton band that had Clifford Brown, Art Farmer, Quincy Jones, Jimmy Cleveland, Gigi Gryce, George Wallington aboard for a tour of Europe. Ortega stayed in Norway for a while before returning to the USA where he played on a number of sessions with various musicians including Maynard Ferguson, Jackie and Roy and Gerald Wilson before moving into more experimental jazz in the '80s.

He has appeared in France several times these past few years. Most of his records are unavailable except a couple of recent ones he made in France including 'On Evidence' and 'Neuf'. Both are worth looking for.

Sending you a PM about that Steamboat now that my interest has been aroused.

And final piece of advise, don't waste too much time (and money) on most of these ECM releases. Hatology CDs may cost more money but they are much more rewarding!

Geoff, Kenny Wheeler's Gnu High is outstanding. DeJohnette's drumming is fascinating, Keith Jarret is ver inventive and Dave Holland is Dave Holland. And one of the best Kenny Wheeler I've heard on record (and Wheeler is one of my favorite flügelhorn players) - melodic, lyrical, powerful - and his sound alone is mesmerizing. This is the CD I return to very often.

Edited by Д.Д.