Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Ubu, Anthony Ortega is one of those creative musicians that keep getting forgotten. He was playing alto in the 1953 Lionel Hampton band that had Clifford Brown, Art Farmer, Quincy Jones, Jimmy Cleveland, Gigi Gryce, George Wallington aboard for a tour of Europe. Ortega stayed in Norway for a while before returning to the USA where he played on a number of sessions with various musicians including Maynard Ferguson, Jackie and Roy and Gerald Wilson before moving into more experimental jazz in the '80s.

He has appeared in France several times these past few years. Most of his records are unavailable except a couple of recent ones he made in France including 'On Evidence' and 'Neuf'. Both are worth looking for.

Sending you a PM about that Steamboat now that my interest has been aroused.

And final piece of advise, don't waste too much time (and money) on most of these ECM releases. Hatology CDs may cost more money but they are much more rewarding!

Thanks for this info, brownie!

Seems Ortega is a musician worthy to explore!

And I know about the ECM/HatOLOGY business, but there are days I like some ECM stuff...

ubu

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I uploaded a word doc on my ftp with the cover/booklet and tray card. All of the above designs are in there and you can simply click and drag the one you like best to fit neatly beside the backcover/linernotes.

Print out the parts you want et voilà.

Orange Slice cd booklet & traycard (800 Kb)

Very cool, couw!

(Please PM me your postal address - just in case you missed my plea for it a couple of posts above!)

ubu

Geoff, Kenny Wheeler's Gnu High is outstanding. DeJohnette's drumming is fascinating, Keith Jarret is ver inventive and Dave Holland is Dave Holland. And one of the best Kenny Wheeler I've heard on record (and Wheeler is one of my favorite flügelhorn players) - melodic, lyrical, powerful - and his sound alone is mesmerizing. This is the CD I return to very often.

Yes, Geoff, this might be one of the best records ever done on ECM!

I love it very much! Very true what Д.Д. said about DeJohnette and Wheeler (well, and about Holland, too :P )

Grab this one when you see it! A beautiful album in all accounts!

And it seems this was the last sideman gig Jarrett did.

ubu

Geoff, Kenny Wheeler's Gnu High is outstanding. DeJohnette's drumming is fascinating, Keith Jarret is ver inventive and Dave Holland is Dave Holland. And one of the best Kenny Wheeler I've heard on record (and Wheeler is one of my favorite flügelhorn players) - melodic, lyrical, powerful - and his sound alone is mesmerizing. This is the CD I return to very often.

I was lucky enough to see Kenny Wheller play live with Evan Parker! with Keith Tippett's Mujician band (minus Keith Tippett). It was really interesting to see Wheller play in an entirely 'free context', especially in contrast to much of his solo music which is normally quite structured. He wasn't even listed as playing, he was a guest star on the second set!

Ubu, Switzerland and ECM go together. Very clean! You know how we French are. We like smelly cheese :g

couw likes it smelly too. As Geoff pointed out, there are some ECM albums out there that were originally recorded for Japo. I believe Paul Bley with Gary Peacock (ECM 1003 ST) is another one of those.

Low-fi but much more enjoyable than the clinical ECM sound for me.

Ubu, Switzerland and ECM go together. Very clean! You know how we French are. We like smelly cheese :g

:lol::lol::lol:

You know, brownie, there are several things I LOVE about France - the most recent being that Giscard got elected to the Académie... HELL! THAT MADE ME BURST WITH LAUGHING! (and a day later the EU constitution goes to hell...)

seriously, I like: french cheese, french wine, french ladies, french movie actresses (and some actors, too), french film directors, french intellectuals (exclude Mons. Glucksmann, in case you consider that creep an intellectual...), the guillotine, Louis Antoine Léon de Saint-Just, some other of those funny guys, the "philosophes"... you know, I might be some sort of a frenchophile... MERDRE!

ubu (de par ma chandelle verte!)

This is the album I forgot the title of, no chance to listen: Spring Heel Jack, Amassed (Thirsty Ear)

Line up looks good, listening to the first couple of minutes sounded interesting.

It's got Kenny Wheeler, Paul Rutherford, Evan Parker and Han Bennink, among others.

ubu

It is a very good album. I have yet to hear the two other discs they releases in the series (live and Sustain) but have heard good things about both.

I get more excited about new Rune Grammofon (a label co-owned/sponsored by ECM) than new ECM recordings.

Have any of you heard Maja Ratkje's debut album 'Voice' on the Rune Grammofon label?

The most amazing vocal album ever.

I have never heard of Maja Ratkje...how would you describe the album?

The only albums I have ever heard on Rune Grammofon are by Supersilent. If you have never heard them you really should get a copy of Supersilent 6. Amazing album.

I get more excited about new Rune Grammofon (a label co-owned/sponsored by ECM) than new ECM recordings.

Have any of you heard Maja Ratkje's debut album 'Voice' on the Rune Grammofon label?

The most amazing vocal album ever.

I have never heard of Maja Ratkje...how would you describe the album?

The only albums I have ever heard on Rune Grammofon are by Supersilent. If you have never heard them you really should get a copy of Supersilent 6. Amazing album.

I just found that for around 7 bucks!

I saw Supersilent live (wait until next x-mas to get some supersilent surprise...) two years ago. Great set, great music.

The same night, The Necks played. Know them, Geoff? They're from OZ, right? They were blowing the place up! Really great music, and it works on CD, too, which I find quite remarkable.

I did not know ECM was involved with Rune Grammofon. I think I read a feature about Rune in some swiss paper this or last year, but cannot remember many things. Can you give us a little bit more information on this Maja Ratkje? I never heard her name!

ubu

edited some typos

Edited by king ubu

I saw Supersilent live (wait until next x-mas to get some supersilent surprise...)

ubu

I almost missed this the first time I read your message. I would love to hear some live Supersilent! Next Christmas, hmmmn... (must be patient, must be patient..)

I also have their disc 4, which is very good, but not as essential as 6. I need to buy 5 and 1,2,3 soon.

John, we could do some exchanges, however I'm usually pretty slow in doing these. I got that concert I heard from radio. Better quality mix than on location sound (which I experience quite often, and which really sucks! I mean, you see a bass player there, and maybe he's playing some interesting stuff, but you just can't hear him. Then a couple of months later the same concert's broadcasted and suddenly you hear what the guys did play... sure, you don't have the live experience and all, but sound is a rather important part of that, too, no? --- end of rant -_- )

ubu

I don't have anything from Rhune Grammofone - I'll check it out.

As for Cryptogramophone stuff, in addition to Dresser I quite liked Don Preston's Trio "Transformation" - clever, inventive and quite muscular (not new-agey) piano trio. Zappa's and Carla Bley's compositions (Don Preston worked with both - king ubu, that's Preston's piano solo in the middle of "Little House I Used to Live In" from "Burnt Weeny Sandwich" and a monster moog solo on "Waka/Jawaka"), among others. Strong bass and drums. Good stuff - not Earth-shattering, but good.

Geoff, I also really like the Berman's performance of Cage piano pieces.

Edited by Д.Д.

I had a big big spend day, mostly due to the undeniable attraction of being Free Jazz albums on Hathut, FMP, Intakt, Victo, Atavistic for only $15 Australian each (new!). That is only like $8.50 US per cd! Crazy Crazy Crazy!

I bought up, they were selling every cd, even double hathut records that normally price at $40 AUS, for $15, I even got a 3cd set on the avant-classical label Wergo that usually is $50 for $15.

I was in heaven, I had too much choice I might go back for more, they have like 20 different hathut albums there, some are now out of print.

Alex Von Schlippenbach Trio - Complete Combustion

Keith Tippett - Une Croix Dans L'Ocean

Peter Brotzmann's Die Like A Dog Quartet - Fragments of music, life and death of Albert Ayler

Myra Melford - Alive in the House of Saints (2 CD Hathut)

Joe Mcphee & Survival Unit II at WBAI's Free Music Store, 1971

Willam Parker - Possium Pendasem

Peter Brotzmann Sextet/Quartet - Nipples

Sir Richard Bishop - Salvador Kali

Gurdjieff/De Hartmann - Music for Piano: Volume III: Hymns, Prayers, and Rituals (3 cds).

I might buy some more tommorow

Your Russian friend got a little ka-ka - it is the third time I am buying a hatOLOGY CD that I already have. This time it's Eskelin's "Kulak..". I somehow thought that it was "One Great Day" that I am looking for... So, if anybody's interested, I'll be happy to trade it (for "One Great Day", for example).

As I mentioned before, I also have a spare copy of Bley's "Annette" and "Eleven Ghosts" by Bennink & Mylford.

Geoff, all this "might" thing sounds not to persuasive to me either. Have a good shopping tomorrow, ho-ho. The stuff you bought today looks great - I don't think (although I am not sure) I have any of those.

BTW, Geoff, if this store carries the following hatOLOGY items:

Ellery Eskelin Trio "One Great Day"

Clusone 3 "Rara Avis",

could you please get them for me so that we could trade for something (I have a couple of rare Wynton Marsalis CDs for trade).

Edited by Д.Д.

BTW, Geoff, if this store carries the following hatOLOGY items:

Ellery Eskelin Trio "One Great Day"

Clusone 3 "Rara Avis",

could you please get them for me so that we could trade for something (I have a couple of rare Wynton Marsalis CDs for trade).

BASTARD!

I too am looking for Rara Avis but with your now having offered a bounty of Marsalis treats, how am I expected to compete?! The Rara Avis offers will now no doubt flood in!

:blink:

Meanwhile, I had some very nice "new listens" recently.

Dennis Gonzalez New Southern Quintet "Old Time Revival". Excellent "classical free jazz". Original compositions. Great soliong from Gonzales on trumpet (very intereesting ideas), and others (two very strong reeds players - forgot the names, of course) and mighty Malachi Favors in inspired form (unlike on the recent AEC's "Meeting") and clever Alan FIelder on drums (I am sure I heard him somewhere else - his drumming is alos quit unique). Avaialble for $13 form Entropy Stereo

Zeena Parkins, Nels Cline & Thurston Moore "Live at Easthampton Town Hall". Contemplative noise. Good stuff. Available for $10 from JMZ records

Leo Cuypers' "Heavy Days Are Here Agian". With Bennink and Breuker. On Unheard Music Series. Amazing stuff. A lot of healthy Dutch humor (btw, Hans, stop hiding). Available for $13 from Atavistic

Mount Everest Trio "Waves From Albert Ayler". Whooooah! One of the most exciting bass-saxophone-drums trios I've heard. Masterpiece from 70s. Mats Gustaffson wrote some rapturous liner notes. GET IT NOW! Also available for $13 Atavistic

By the way, I was not paricularly impressed by the VAO's "Satie".

Edited by Д.Д.