Funny Rat

Guest Chaney

Eehhh, Cyrille's My Friend Louis is a good drummer-led session--truthfully, I've never found it much more than that, though there are some nice things on it (notably Oliver Lake's reading of "The Prophet").

I think the Bailey/Braxton Moment Precieux is unjustly maligned, actually: it's a pretty interesting disc. -- I can't say I'm eager to hear the session with Borah Bergman & Peter Broetzmann--sounds like a recipe for disaster.....

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a disc that might have slipped beneath many people's radars:

e15888fpkji.jpg

Barry Altschul - You Can't Name Your Own Tune

Despite the sly dig at Braxton in the album title, this one is very inspired by him and features some great playing. Altschul on drums and percussion, Sam Rivers on tenor, soprano, and flute, Dave Holland on bass, George Lewis on trombone and Muhal Richard Abrams on piano. This was recorded in 1977 and was last issued on 32jazz, so it should be out of print at this point. Highly recommended, if you can track down a copy.

:tup

Catching up on this thread, I was surprised to see this. I had a phone message yesterday from Lazaro inviting me to the radio station for a live broadcast at 10 PM. It was a Gebhard Ullman/Steve Swell group and Barry was on drums. What a delightful way to spend the evening. I had not heard Barry in over 20 years and he sounded terrific.

Wow, Chuck, that must have been quite a night! I met Steve Swell last year one afternoon when I was sitting in for our regular DJ & Swell was in town for a gig... nice guy and good music to boot. That Altschul CD is quite fine--I second John B.'s recommendation.

I saw Ullman here a couple years ago in a group w/George Schuller, but can't recall the name right now.

Edited by ghost of miles

Eehhh, Cyrille's My Friend Louis is a good drummer-led session--truthfully, I've never found it much more than that, though there are some nice things on it (notably Oliver Lake's reading of "The Prophet").

I agree. It opens very strongly, but starting from second track it sets in the safe, pretty formulaic 60s advanced hardbop territory.

In general, I have a bit of a problem with Oliver Lake. He is an excellent musician, but somehow I get tired of listening to him. Listening to CDs with Lake's participation (and I have quite a few of them) always seem to follow the same scenario: I totally enjoy the first couple of tracks, next two leave me indifferent, and by the second half I cannot listen to it anymore. I don't know what it is about Lake that I don't like (or rather like, but in limited amount)...

Although there is one Lake CD that I am never tired of listening to - it is actually one of my favorite improv. CDs ever - Heavy Spirits (Black Lion), one Lake's earliest recordings. Masterpiece.

Edited by Д.Д.

"New York 19" (Folkways 5558) - An audio study of New York 19, a postal zone in Midtown Manhattan where Tony lived. The material on this record was selected from thousands of tapes, dating back to 1952. It was during this time that Tony recorded the exotic sounds of blind street musician Moondog.

Thanks Alan. I actually will check it out.

"Portrait of Sheila" is one of my favorite vocal jazz albums EVER!

And don´t you dare criticize Sheila!

I don't, but it seems some think her intonation sucks. NOT ME THOUGH! Don't you mistake me for "some"! Or you will be immediately de-capitated by my royal troops!

ubu :g

I am deifinitely this very some. Sheila Jordan ruins this Rudd disc for me (and I am not a vocal-hater in general, as other some here). I will listen to it again (I bumped upon this CD recently, so why not listen to it - who knows when I find it next time?).

Wow, give it another listen! I think that Sheila Jordan's rendition her of "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life" is one of the most haunting jazz vocal performances ever!

d17203kfv3x.jpg

Come on boys, what the fuck, is this some sort of a dadaist joke? You mean you really like it?!?!?

I spent twenty fucking minutes looking for it, and now I am listening and just hate it. Masochist I am, I will listen till the end, but this will be the last time in foreseable future.

So here we go, first track, "What Are You Doing for the Rest of Your Life".

Jordan sounds to me like a middle-aged alcoholic fairy, who already lost all her majic abilities, but still tries to impress. Not enough character to be a witch either. Horrible intonation, no ideas (just repeating the same (bad) licks all the time), and just no range (we are not into chops here of course, but come on, some minimal level of technical ability should be there). All what's missing is substituted with cheapo pseudo-profound "meaning" ("I cannot really sing, but I feel it very very deep").

Some highlites of the first track:

1'30'' - low notes (I understandm this is some sortt of interplay with Rudd's trombone) - she can't hit them ... "that you spend it with meeeeeeeeee" - sure, I will

2'00'' - "nickels and dimezzzzzz" - oh, this zzzzzz really REALLY emphasizes it (it will be repeated then in every subsequent line, so that you get a point)

2'24'' - thse wavering tones (is this an ENglish word? does it mean what I want to say? - I am so annoyed I am forgetting my English) "with meEeEeE" - come on, you can't do it, you don't have a voice for it, please. Also will be repeated IN ABSOLUTELY THE SAME WAY several times throuhg the song.

5'01'' And the best one for the very end - totally out of tune "with youOUouOUouOU". With me? Fuck...

Now on "Maiden Voyage".. oh, solo... oho.. two ideas - let's bring them to absurd repeating them over and over...and all with such pathos and bombast...

this one is actually better, but she just does not have the capacity to relise it. All this is nicely underscored by Altschul's high school band type of umtsa-umtsa drumming (5'06'') - is he in a sabotage mood (I wouldn't be surpirised)?... hey nice piano solo - just like 10,000 other piano solos recorded in the 60s... I see that everybody shines on this session... And where is Rudd by the way? Is he rolling on a floor laughing? Excused himself to the restroom? I have to read liner notes... they should explain what's going on... fuck, this is really bad..

Friends, I can't continue, I am sorry. This is one of the worst things I've heard over the last year.

Oh, here we have the third track, Rudd is back... thanks. And singing, sure. Well, you can't do much worse than Sheila, so go ahead.

Enough.

Guest Chaney

Funny stuff, David. :g

Anyhow, here is a little sample of his work (4.5Mb mp3, right click and save to listen), titled Weber/Parkweg (Weber lasts 7m30, the remaining 2 minutes are "Parkweg"). Sachse is on guitar and flute, Manfred Hering is on alto.

Edited by Chaney

Altschul's indeed as superb as ever--that Adam Lane Fo(u)r Being(s) from CIMP with Smoker, Altschul & Tchicai is wonderful stuff, & seems to have gotten Altschul back on the map (he's in cracking form throughout, fully as good as his 1970s work). Anyone heard that FAB group? (Fonda-Altschul-Bang). Was wondering whether to pick it up--a good lineup, for certain.

I have Flexible Flyer on LP, let me dig out the record player. I don't remember much about it. For good Sheila Jordan try Lost & Found or Portrait of Sheila.

Well, that sure was a funny read, David! I think I stick to my own opinion, though ;)

I'll dig out the CD and give it a spin as soon as I can.

Some Sunday listening:

B00004Z3EU.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A good to very good disc, I think. One might have to get used to Ochs' sopranino a bit, but then he sounds very good on it. Smith has some beautiful things to say as well, and Cyrille, well, he's Cyrille, right?

Seriously: I wonder how much of this was actually written (and how little improvised) - I guess almost all was written. However, the music makes a lot of sense to me, has quite some variety, and the voicings are cool, with often two sopranos, bass and percussion.

There are some great moments of just bass and drum, too. I guess I got to look for more discs by Lindberg some fine day...

B0000261FC.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A terrific disc, in my opinion. Beautiful playing by all, and some great tunes. The reggae part of "Ja" is terrific. This might be my favourite of their ECM albums. Might.

ubu

Related earlier listening:

B00004SGZ3.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

An alright disc, this was recorded live in Vienna as a tribute to Art Farmer. They do some movie themes, and taking it for what it is - an understated and non-pretentious (?does that exist?) - album, it is quite good. I'm not sure it's that much of a jazz album, in fact, the cinematic aspects seem almost more important at moments, and there is not much improvisations. Also it's quite short, at only a bit over fourty minutes playing time, and ten tunes. This is not an album to scream at you about its greatness, but I think it will grow.

Now I'm looking forward to listen to the Braxon/Blake "Memory of Vienna" hatOLOGY disc, soon.

ubu

Some Sunday listening:

I guess I got to look for more discs by Lindberg some fine day...

I don't have this oner, but I have The Catbird Sings(Black Saint) by the same band, and it is excellent. I had a feeling there is quite a bit of blowing though (as opposed to written material). Ochs is a great musician indeed.

-----------------------------------------------

Got the new solo Brötzm. on FMP. Will report later.

Now I'm looking forward to listen to the Braxon/Blake "Memory of Vienna" hatOLOGY disc, soon.

Let us know what you think of this one. I have ambiguos feelings about it. I think Braxton is playig beautifully, but I find Blake playing simply annoying and totally non-cooperative.

Some Sunday listening:

I don't have this oner, but I have The Catbird Sings(Black Saint) by the same band, and it is excellent. I had a feeling there is quite a bit of blowing though (as opposed to written material). Ochs is a great musician indeed.

Blowing there is, too, but it seems like either it is very tightly included into written music, or (similar to our impression after hearing the Barry Guy group), maybe even though there is blowing, it might be all composed, or pre-structured.

I'll let you know about the Braxton/Blake.

ubu

I found my copy, with a water damaged, unopenable booklet, in 1996 in a thrift shop in Johnson, Vermont for 25 cents!

I'm shocked to see Johnson mentioned in the Funny Rat thread. I've been going there every few months to Johnson State College, where a friend has been booking excellent free jazz shows. So far I have seen Marco Eneidi's Sound on Survival and BassDrumBone with Ray Anderson, Mark Helias and Gerry Hemingway. I missed out on a Raphe Malik / Sabir Mateen show. It is wonderful having acts like these traveling out to the middle of nowhere in VT.

I just put a used copy of McPhee & Drake's EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION on hold at a local record shop.  Any opinions on that particular outing?

:tup:tup:tup

I love this album! Drake's solo during the title track always makes me stop and listen a second time. As much as I enjoy hearing Drake with Brotzmann, it is nice to hear him stretch out with someone different.

Another great disc is his duo with Borah Bergman on Soul Note.

c481342ofu5.jpg

This disc doesn't seem to get a lot of mention but it is fantastic! I don't know of any other Drake / pianist duets off the top of my head, which is too bad. This disc smokes!

Edited by John B

Some Sunday listening:

Blowing there is, too, but it seems like either it is very tightly included into written music, or (similar to our impression after hearing the Barry Guy group), maybe even though there is blowing, it might be all composed, or pre-structured.

I'll let you know about the Braxton/Blake.

ubu

Tree Frog Tonality and Catbird Sings have been on my "to buy" list for years. The line-up of musicians looks wonderful, and everything I have heard about the playing has been very positive.

Edited by John B

Have you heard any of his earlier solo discs?

I'm listening to Right As Rain - Dedicated to Werner Ludi for the first time in a year or two. It is very melodic and, for Brotzmann, subdued. Very nice!

e70529qhctt.jpg

Edited by John B

Guest Chaney

Based upon recommendations from you fine folks, my Cadence order:

Little Birds Have Fast Hearts Nos. 1 & 2

Globe Unity Orchestra: 20th Anniversary

Garcia / Gebbia / Wogram: PRONTO!

Assif Tsahar: Open Systems

And to show that I have a mind of my own: Brotzmann / Sommer / Phillips: Reserve

ON THE EDIT: ubu: We're now on page 54. You with us? :blink::D

Edited by Chaney

An alright disc, this was recorded live in Vienna as a tribute to Art Farmer. They do some movie themes, and taking it for what it is - an understated and non-pretentious (?does that exist?) - album, it is quite good. I'm not sure it's that much of a jazz album, in fact, the cinematic aspects seem almost more important at moments, and there is not much improvisations. Also it's quite short, at only a bit over fourty minutes playing time, and ten tunes. This is not an album to scream at you about its greatness, but I think it will grow.

The brevity of the tracks, the use of 1940s film themes, & the focus on colouring-in themes rather than using them as launching-pads for solos are all typical Blake. It's a very good album with among other things an excellent "I Should Care" (intended as a gloss on Monk's famous solo reading). I like short albums, so don't mind the 38-minute running time.

Listening to Harris Eisenstadt's Jalolu, one of the best of CIMP's recent releases. An odd release indeed: the composing is influenced by Eisenstadt's visit to West Africa, but he plays with a thumping backbeat throughout, & the lineup is three trumpets (Paul Smoker, Taylor Ho Bynum, Roy Campbell) & Andy Laster on baritone & clarinet, who are given odd hocketting themes to play (rapid volleys of single notes). It's good stuff.

Edited by Nate Dorward