Conversations with Jim Anderson

mikeweil

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That leakage is unobtainable, for the most part, due to the way recordings are made, these days, and the way bands perform.

Part of the problem is that everybody wants to fix everything and that's the reason for the lack of leakage. Everyone's in a different booth, or room, scattered around the studio. Many times, I can sense a lack of concentration or commitment in a track because, collectively, it's known that we can go in and replace the bass, for example (not to pick on bass players...well, why not pick on bass players?), or get a better version of the head from the horns.

So that chance at natural leakage is long gone.

I can think of quite a few Blue Note albums that have some major clams in them and they're, sometimes, my favorite part of the track.

I was working on a vocalist project over the summer and I remarked to the assistant (as I was making a fix on the protools) "No one makes mistakes anymore. Everything's 'perfect'."

I just caught up to this forum since it moved from the Blue Note board. I'm glad to see Jim is still participating.

Jim I think what you say is so true. The isolation is a mere technical convenience without a musical purpose, and in most cases, it sucks the life out of the music. Our cats spend night after night standing next to each other on the bandstand making great music. Why would I want to change that when I take them into a studio? Putting musicians into isolation booths reminds me of 1950s behavioral psych experiments.

People play as though they knew they could do it again. The real drama comes partly from knowing the musician is vulnerable and risking it all. Our current "big vocal record" was recorded by Baker for me at Avatar A. Singer plus octet. A dozen ribbon mikes and the art of the null plane. All full band takes, mixed live to stereo by Baker. Mixing on the Neve, he looked like he was conducting an orchestra himself, and that's how I'll remember him.

Luke

All the above is the downside of the improvements in recording techonology over the years since multi track regarding began in the 60s. The isolation , overdubbing, and all the other innovations have created a very lackadaisical attituted among studio musicians of the later generations. Since they KNOW they can fix the flubs, the "hands" come up every few bars for a fix. It's not that they CAN'T play it right through ..they know they dont have to anymore, hence the concentration factor is gone.

When I recorded my big band CD in 2004 I did it basically live, and I made it a point to make sure to let all involved know we were gonna go for complete takes ( or at the most and intercut pickup like the old "live to 2 track " days. The band really got into it, and most everything was done in two or three takes ( in some cases ,a single take and a pickup ). The overall preformance was excellent, and the energy feel generated by the process was very noticable.

( note: we did use multi-track ProTools, but there was VERY little cosmetic surgery necessary prior to mixing )

I forgot about this exchange. We recently had a rather heated thread ( here ) on the subject of edits in recordings. I was going to ask the members who posted here if they had any further thoughts on this, but I think it's pretty clear from the quotes above what they think!

I'm against anything like punch-ins on any sort of jazz session. That goes against the whole idea of the jazz concept to me. It's not suppose to be perfect. That's WHY it's perfect. Perfectly imperfect.

But on the other hand...I'm not against an edit if it's needed. I guess this stems from the fact that some of my favorite jazz tracks have sometimes pretty obvious edits in them.

• 2 months later...

I'm passing through, for the moment, and checking in to see how everyone is.

Here in New York, we're busy putting on the finishing touches on the schedule for the upcoming AES Convention in October. I hope if you're in New York October 7-10 you'll come by the Javits Convention Center and say hello.

The amazing news is that Rupert Neve will be the Keynote Speaker at the Opening Ceremonies!

How cool is that?

http://www.aes.org/events/119/

All the best,

Jim

Here's a list of the technical program (accurate as of today) to give you an idea of the topics to be discussed at the AES Convention.

Jim

Paper Sessions

Session P1

Analysis, Synthesis of Sound

Chair: Durand Begault

P1-1 Perceptual Modeling of Piano Tones Brahim Hamadicharef Emmanuel Ifeachor

P1-2 Multichannel Audio Processing Using a Unified Domain Representation Kevin Short Ricardo Garcia Michelle Daniels

P1-3 Multichannel Audio Time-Scale Modification David Dorran Robert Lawlor Eugene Coyle

P1-4 Improving MPEG-7 Sound Classification Holger Crysandt

Session P2

ACOUSTICS & DESKTOP PRODUCTION

Chair: Brad Gover

P2-1 Measurement of Architectural Speech Security of Closed Offices and Meeting Rooms Bradford Gover John Bradley

P2-2 Frequency-Based Coloring of the Waveform Display to Facilitate Audio Editing and Retrieval Stephen Rice

P2-3 Development of Auditory Alerts for Air Traffic Control Consoles Densil Cabrera Sam Ferguson Gary Laing

P2-4 Multichannel Impulse Response Measurement, Analysis, and Rendering in Archaeological Acoustics Damian Murphy

Session P3

RESTORATION, STORAGE & CAR AUDIO

Chair: Brett Crockett

P3-1 Preferred Listening Levels in the Automotive Environment Eric Benjamin Brett Crockett

P3-2 High Frequency Compensation for Compressed Digital Audio Using Sampled-Data Control Koji Fujiyama Naoya Iwasaki Riku Kaibe Hiroshi Kano Yutaka Yamamoto

P3-3 Are There Criteria to Evaluate Optical Disc Quality that Are Relevant for End-Users? Jean-Marc Fontaine Jacques Poitevineau

P3-4 An Open Design and Implementation for the Enabler Component of the Plural Node Architecture of Professional Audio Devices Jun-ichi Fujimori Harold Okai-Tettey Richard John Foss

Session P4

SPATIAL PERCEPTION AND PROCESSING

Chair: Richard Stroud

P4-1 Audibility of Spectral Switching in Head-Related Transfer Functions Pablo Faundez Hoffmann Henrik Møller

P4-2 Virtual Source Location Information for Binaural Cue Coding Sang Bae Chon In Yong Choi Han-gil Moon Joengil Seo Koeng-Mo Sung

P4-3 Perceptual Movement of Auditory Images Fed through Multiway Loudspeakers Perpendicularly Set Up Yu Agatsuma Eiichi Miyasaka

P4-4 High Order Spatial Audio Capture and its Binaural Head-Tracjed Playback Over Headphones with HRTF Cues Ramani Duraiswami Dmitry Zotkin Zhiyun Li Elena Grassi Nail Gumerov Larry Davis

P4-5 Performance of Spatial Audio Using Dynamic Cross-Talk Cancellation Tobias Lentz Ingo Assenmacher Jan Sokoll

P4-6 An Application of Lined-Up Loudspeaker Array System for Mixed Reality Audio-Visual Reproduction System Hiroyuki Okubo Yasushige Nakayama Yoichi Naito Toshikazu Ikenaga Setsu Komiyama

Session P5

MULTICHANNEL SOUND -1

Chair: Thomas Sporer

P5-1 Perceptual Evaluation of 5.1 Downmix Algorithms Thomas Sporer Beate Klehs Judith Liebetrau Felix Richter Alexander Krake Gabi Muckenschnabl Mandy Weitzel

P5-2 Discrimination of Auditory Source Focus for Musical Instrument Sounds with Varying Low-Frequency Cross Correlation in Multichannel Loudspeaker Reproduction Sungyoung Kim William Martens Atsushi Marui

P5-3 Optimizing Placement and Equalization of Multiple Low Frequency Loudspeakers in Rooms Adrian Celestinos Sofus Birkedal Nielsen

P5-4 An Immersive Audio Environment with Source Positioning Based on Virtual Microphone Control Jonas Braasch Wieslaw Woszczyk

P5-5 Simulation and Visualization of Room Compensation for Wave Field Synthesis with the Functional Transformation Method Stefan Petrausch Sascha Spors Rudolf Rabenstein

P5-6 Acoustic Intensity in Multichannel Rendering Systems Antoine Hurtado-Huyssen Jean-Dominique Polack

Session P6

SIGNAL PROCESSING FOR AUDIO -1

Chair: Vicki Melchior

P6-1 Toward a Procedure for Stability Analysis of High Order Sigma Delta Modulators Josh Reiss

P6-2 An Interface for Analysis-Driven Sound Processing Niels Bogaards Axel Röbel

P6-3 A Comparison of Digital Power Amplifiers with Conventional Linear Technology: Performance, Function, and Application Craig Bell Isaac Sibson

P6-4 Selective Mixing of Sounds Piotr Kleczkowski

P6-5 An Efficient Asynchronous Sampling-Rate Conversion Algorithm for Multichannel Audio Applications Paul Beckmann Timothy Stilson

Session P7

MULTICHANNEL SOUND -2

Chair: Richard Duda

P7-1 An Approach for Multichannel Recording and Reproduction of Sound Source Directivity Roland Jacques Bernhard Albrecht Frank Melchior Diemer de Vries

P7-2 Artificial Reverberation Algorithm to Control Distance and Direction of Sound Source for Multichannel Audio System Jeong-Hun Seo Hwan Shim Jae-Hyoun Yoo Koeng-Mo Sung

P7-3 Surround Recording of Music: Problems and Solutions Joerg Wuttke

P7-4 Motion-Tracked Binaural Sound for Personal Music Players V. Ralph Algazi Robert Dalton, Jr. Richard Duda Dennis M. Thompson

P7-5 Subjective Consumer Evaluation of Multichannel Audio Codecs Jim Barbour

P7-6 Advanced Multichannel Audio System for Reproducing a Live Sound Field with Ultimate Sensation of Presence Kimio Hamasaki Hiroyuki Okubo Toshiyuki Nishiguchi Yasushige Nakayama Reiko Okumura Masakazu Iwki

Session P8

SIGNAL PROCESSING FOR AUDIO -2

Chair: Gilbert Soulodre

P8-1 VisualAudio—An Environment for Designing, Tuning, and Testing Embedded Audio Applications David A. Jaffe Paul Beckmann Britton Peddie Timothy Stilson Scott Van Duyne

P8-2 Analysis and Design Algorithm of Time Varying Reverberator for Low Memory Applications Tacksung Choi Young-Cheol Park

P8-3 A Comparison of the Performance of “Pruned Tree” versus “Stack” Algorithms for Look-Ahead Sigma Delta Modulators James Angus

P8-4 Adaptive Strategies for Inverse Filtering Scott Norcross Martin Bouchard Gilbert Soulodre

P8-5 New Understandings of the Use of Ferrites in the Prevention and Suppression of RF Interference to Audio Systems Jim Brown

P8-6 Parametric Control of Filter Slope versus Time Delay for Linear Phase Crossovers David McGrath Justin Baird Bruce Jackson

Session P9

POSTERS: MISCELLANEOUS -1

P9-1 A Robust Partial Tracker for Analysis of Music Signals Hamid Satar-Boroujeni Bahram Shafai

P9-2 Automatic Retrieval of Musical Rhythmic Patterns Bozena Kostek Jaroslaw Wojcik

P9-3 A Spectrogram Display for Loudspeaker Transient Response David Gunness William Hoy

P9-4 Quality Enhancement of Low Bit Rate MPEG1-Layer 3 Audio Based on Audio Resynthesis Demetrios Cantzos Chris Kyriakakis

P9-5 Obtaining 120-dB Performance Using Switching Power Supplies Gregg Rouse Larry Gaddy

P9-6 Influence of Artificial Mouth’s Directivity in Determining Speech Transmission Index Fabio Bozzoli Paolo Bilzi Angelo Farina

Session P10

POSTERS: CODING & LOUDSPEAKERS & HI RESOLUTION

P10-1 A New Low-Delay Codec for Two-Way High-Quality Audio Communication Aníbal Ferreira Deepen Sinha

P10-2 Compensation of Nonlinearities of Horn Loudspeakers Delphine Bard Mario Rossi Mauro Del Nobile

P10-3 Diaphragm Parameters and Radiation Characteristics of Multilayer Piezoelectric Ceramic Loudspeakers Jun Fujii Juro Ohga Norikazu Sashida Ikuo Oohira

P10-4 A Study on Lumped Elements Model and Thermal Effects of Eddy Currents in Loudspeakers Ning Wu Yong Shen Xiaobing Xu

P10-5 Spatial Audio Coding System Based on Virtual Source Location Information Jeongil Seo Inseon Jang Kyeongok Kang

P10-6 An Ultra High Performance DAC with Controlled Time-Domain Response Paul Lesso Anthony Magrath

P10-7 Understanding the Effects of AES-17 When Evaluating 192-kHz Converter Performance Richard Kulavik Larry Gaddy

Session P11

LOUDSPEAKERS - 1

Chair: Wolfgang Klippel

P11-1 Wideband Piezoelectric Rectangular Loudspeaker Using A Tuck Shape PVDF Bimorph Toshinori Ouchi Juro Ohga Toshitaka Takei Nobuhiro Moriyama

P11-2 Modeling Compression Drivers Using T-Matrices and Finite Element Analysis David J. Murphy Rick Morgans

P11-3 A Proposal for Low Frequency Loudspeaker Design Utilizing Ultrasonic Motor Juro Ohga Hirokazu Negishi Ikuo Oohira

P11-4 Finite Element Modeling of a Loudspeaker. Part 1: Theory and Validation David Henwood Gary Geaves

P11-5 Radiated Sound Field Analysis of Loudspeaker Systems: Discrete Geometrical Distribution of Circular Membranes versus Co-Incident Annular Rings Bernard Debail Hmaied Shaiek

P11-6 Loudspeaker Nonlinearities— Causes, Parameters, Symptoms Wolfgang Klippel

Session P12

AUDIO CODING -1

Chair: Alan Seefeldt

P12-1 Upfront Time Segmentation Methods for Transform Coding of Audio Omar Niamut Richard Heusdens Huib Lincklaen Arriëns

P12-2 Enhanced Accuracy of the Tonality Measure and Control Parameter Extraction Modules in MPEG-4 HE-AAC Sang-Uk Ryu Kenneth Rose

P12-3 New Techniques in Spatial Audio Coding Alan Seefeldt Mark Vinton Charles Robinson

P12-4 A New Broadcast Quality Low Bit Rate Audio Coding Scheme Utilizing Novel Bandwidth Extension Tools Deepen Sinha Anibal Ferreira

P12-5 The MPEG-4 Audio Lossless Coding (ALS) Standard—Technology and Applications Tilman Liebchen Takehiro Moriya Noboru Harada Yutaka Kamamoto Yuriy Reznik

Session P13

LOUDSPEAKERS -2

Chair: D. B. (Don) Keele, Jr.

P13-1 Improving Loudspeaker Transient Response with Digital Signal Processing David Gunness

P13-2 Simulation of Harmonic Distortion in Horns Using an Extended BEM Postprocessing Michael Makarski

P13-3 Modal Analysis and Nonlinear Normal Modes (NNM) on Moving Assemblies of Loudspeakers Fernando Bolaños

P13-4 Finite Element Modeling of a Loudspeaker. Part 2: Applications John Vanderkooy David Henwood Gary Geaves

P13-5 Ground-Plane Constant Beamwidth Transducer (CBT) Loudspeaker Circular-Arc Line Arrays D. B. (Don) Keele, Jr. Douglas J. Button

P13-6 A Balanced Modal Radiator (BMR) Neil Harris Graham Bank

Session P14

AUDIO CODING -2

Chair: Jürgen Herre

P14-1 Jointly Optimal Time Segmentation, Distribution, and Quantization for Sinusoidal Coding of Audio and Speech Richard Heusdens Jesper Jensen Pim Korten

P14-2 Enhanced Performance in the Functionality of Fine Grain Scalability KiHyun Choo Eunmi Oh Jung-Hoe Kim ChangYong Son

P14-3 Scalability in KOZ Audio Compression Technology Kevin Short Ricardo Garcia Michelle Daniels

P14-4 MPEG Spatial Audio Coding/MPEG Surround: Overview and Current Status Jeroen Breebaart Jürgen Herre Christof Faller J. Rödén F. Myburg S. Disch Heiko Purnhagen G. Hotho M. Neusinger

P14-5 Efficient Design of Time-Frequency Stereo Parameter Sets for Parametric HE-AAC Wen-Chieh Lee Chung-Han Yang Kan-Chun Lee

P14-6 Structural Analysis of Low Latency Audio Coding Schemes Ralf Geiger Manfred Lutzky Markus Schnell Markus Schmidt

Session P15

POSTERS: SIGNAL PROCESSING

P15-1 The Design of Half-Band FIR Filters Using Ripple Attenuation of a Manipulated Lowpass Duane Wise

P15-2 Single Channel Source Separation Using Short-Time Independent Component Analysis Dan Barry Derry Fitzgerald Eugene Coyle Bob Lawlor

P15-3 A New Class of Smooth Power Complementary Windows and their Application to Audio Signal Processing Deepen Sinha Anibal Ferreira

P15-4 Active Leak Compensation in Small-Sized Loudspeakers Using Digital Signal Processing Varun Chopra

P15-5 Digital Signal Processing within the Steinberg VST Architecture Roberto Osorio-Goenaga

P15-6 Comparison Between Time Delay Based and Nonuniform Phase Based Equalization for Multichannel Loudspeaker-Room Responses Sunil Bharitkar Chris Kyriakakis

P15-7 Objective Function for Automatic Multiposition Equalization and Bass Management Filter Selection Sunil Bharitkar Chris Kyriakakis

P15-8 Acoustical Monitoring Research for National Parks and Wilderness Areas Rob Maher B. Jerry Gregoire Zhixin Chen

Session P16

POSTERS: MISCELLANEOUS -2

P16-1 A Binaural Model to Predict Position and Extension of Spatial Images Created with Standard Sound Recording Techniques Jonas Braasch

P16-2 An Unsupervised Adaptive Filtering Approach of 2- to 5-Channel Upmix Yan Li Peter Driessen

P16-3 Investigation on the Related Effect Caused by ECM Miniaturization Jun Lee Zonghan Wu Zongbao Hu Tao Zhang

P16-4 On Amplitude Panning and Asymmetric Loudspeaker Set-Ups Arno van Leest

P16-5 Phantom Audio Sources with Vertically Separated Loudspeakers Shiva Sundaram Chris Kyriakakis

P16-6 Difference of the Sound Levels among 15 Japanese Terrestrial and Digital Satellite TV Broadcasting Channels Eiichi Miyasaka Takahiro Kamada

P16-7 Electroacoustic Analogy Analysis of Electret Condenser Microphones with Noise-Canceling Effects Fang-Ching Lee

Session P17

HI RES & PSYCHOAC., PERCEPT., LISTENING TESTS

Chair: Malcolm Hawksford

P17-1 Noise Shaping in Time-Domain Quantized LFM Malcolm Hawksford

P17-2 Stereo and Multichannel Loudness Perception and Metering Gilbert Soulodre Michel Lavoie

P17-3 The Influence of Stereophony on the Restitution of Timbre by Loudspeakers Mathieu Lavandier Benjamin Guyot Sabine Meunier Philippe Herzog

P17-4 Audio Processor ICs for Advanced TV Johan Mansson et al.

Session P18

MICROPHONES & INTERNET AUDIO

Chair: Eddy B. Brixen

P18-1 The Native B-Format Microphone: Part 1 Eric Benjamin Thomas Chen

P18-2 A Web Search Engine for Sound Effects Stephen V. Rice Stephen M. Bailey

P18-3 Alternative Approaches for Recording Surround Sound Colin Preston

P18-4 Microphones, High Wind, and Rain Eddy B. Brixen

Session P19

PSYCHOACOUSTICS, PERCEPTION, LISTENING TESTS

Chair: Bozena Kostek

P19-1 Automatic Evaluation of Musical Sound Separation Quality Marek Dziubinski Bozena Kostek

P19-2 Internet-Based Automatic Hearing Assessment System Andrzej Czyzewski Bozena Kostek Henryk Skarzynski

P19-3 Constructing Individual and Group Timbre Spaces for Sharpness-Matched Distorted Guitar Timbres Atsushi Marui William Martens

P19-4 Physiological and Content Considerations for a Second Very Low Frequency Channel for Bass Management, Subwoofers, and LFE Robert (Robin) Miller III

P19-5 Individual Vocabulary Profiling of Spatial Enhancement Systems for Stereo Headphone Reproduction Gaëtan Lorho

Session P20

SOUND REINFORCEMENT

Chair: Wolfgang Ahnert

P20-1 Assessing the Suitability of Digital Signal Processing as Applied to Performance Audio such as In-Ear Monitoring Systems Steve Armstrong Keith Gordon Betty Rule

P20-2 New Data Format to Describe Complex Sound Sources Stefan Feistel Wolfgang Ahnert Steffen Bock

P20-3 The Significance of Phase Data for the Acoustic Prediction of Combinations of Sound Sources Stefan Feistel Wolfgang Ahnert

P20-4 Simulation, Auralization, and Their Verification of Acoustic Parameters Using Line Arrays Wolfgang Ahnert Stefan Feistel

Workshops

Workshop Session W1

Surround Sound: A Chance for Enhanced Creativity

Chair

Martha de Francisco

Panelists

George Massenburg

Akira Fukada

Richard King

Bob Ludwig

Ronald Prent

Everett Porter

Workshop Session W2

Switching Amplifiers for High-Resolution Audio

Chair

Vicki Melchior

Panelists

Karsten Nielsen

John J.H. Oh

Lars Risbo

Skip Taylor

Workshop Session W3

Pre-Fab Acoustics for the Audio Production Environment

Chair

John Storyk

Panelists

Russ Berger

Chris Bowman

Peter D’Antonio

Jeff Szymanski

Ethan Winer

Workshop Session W4

What’s Shakin’? - Auditory Haptic Interaction

Chair

Wiliam Martens

Panelists

Bernard D. Adelstein

Durand Begault

Aleksander Väljamäe

Wieslaw Woszczyk

Workshop Session W5

New Issues In Audio/Video Synchronization

Co-chairs

Kimio Hamasaki

Stephen Lyman

Panelists

Stanley J. Chayka

Hiroyuki Okubo

Junichi Yoshio

Workshop Session W6

Measuring Room Acoustics—An Overview of Techniques and Relevance

Chair

Sam Berkow

Panelists

David Griesenger

TBA

Workshop Session W7

Audio Networking Applications and Requirements

Chair

Kevin Gross

Workshop Session W8

Hearing Meaning In Machine Listening

Chair

Dan Ellis

Panelists

James Ballas

Jan Berg

Jens Blauert

Ute Jekosch

Workshop Session W9

Next Generation Audio Communications

Chair

Gerald Schuller

Panelists

Bernd Edler

Manfred Lutzki

Gregory Pallone

Rudolf Rabenstein

Sean Ramprashad

Redwan Salami

Thomas Sporer

Workshop Session W10

Performance Issues In Digital Audio

Chair

Dan Lavry

Panelists

Robert Adams

Richard Cabot

David Smith

Workshop Session W11

Beyond Clicks, Pops, and Hiss: New Strategies For High Fidelity Restoration

Chair

Jamie Howarth

Panelists

Carl Haber

Christoph M. Musialik

John Newton

Patrick Wolfe

Workshop Session W12

Automotive Sound Systems Part II: Considerations in Methodology and Sound Quality Attributes for Subjective Evaluations

Chair

Tim Nind

Panelists

Søren Beck

Kristina Busenitz

William Martens

Russell Mason

Sean Olive

Workshop Session W13

Mixing with Personal Stage Monitors: The Whys, the Hows, and How Much Is too Much?

Co-chairs

Bob Schulien

Michael Santucci

Rachel Cruz

Panelists

Mike Adams

Brian Bavido

Bernie Becker

John Bruey

Ian Kuhn

Mike Pirich

Workshop Session W14

Academia Meets the Industry: The Future of Audio and Music Research

Co-chairs

John Strawn

Xavier Amatriain

Nicola Bernardini

Panelists

Karlheinz Brandenburg

Peter Eastty

Jyri Huopaniemi

Morton Lave

Rob Maher

William L. Martens

Karsten Nielsen

Broadcast Events

Broadcast Event B1

Digital Radio Broadcast Forum

Chair

David Bialik

Panelists

Jan Andrews

Leonard Kahn

Mark Kalman

David Layer

Mike Lyons

Tony Massielo

Skip Pizzi

David Wilson

TBA

Broadcast Event B2

Audio for HDTV

Chair

Andy Butler

Panelists

Tim Carroll

Rocky Graham

Alan Kraemer

Geir Skaaden

Dave Wilson

Broadcast Event B3

Surround Sound for Digital Radio

Chair

Herb Squire

Panelists

Steve Fluker

Frank Foti

Stephan Geyersberger

Alan Kraemer

Steve Lyman

Tony Massielo

Noel McKenna

Mike Pappas

Skip Pizzi

Geir Skaaden

Broadcast Event B4

Designing a Broadcast Facility for 5.1

Co-chairs

Mike Pappas

Chris Scherer

Broadcast Event B5

Designing a Facility for HDTV: The Audio Considerations

Co-chairs

Ken Hunold

David Radin

Broadcast Event B6

Mixing a Live Broadcast in Surround

Chair

Mike Pappas

Tutorials

Tutorial Session T1

The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers in Small Rooms: A Review

Presenter

Floyd Toole

Tutorial Session T2

Audio System Grounding and Interfacing—An Overview

Presenter

Bill Whitlock

Tutorial Session T3

Dynamic Range Compression—A Real World Users Guide

Presenter

Alex U. Case

Tutorial Session T4

Analog Design in a Digital Environment

Presenters

Dennis Bohn, Rick Jeffs, & Paul Mathews

Tutorial Session T5

Designing with Delta-Sigma Converters

Presenter

Steve Green

Tutorial Session T6

DJ Mixing: Are You Ready For The Transition

Presenters

Richie Hawtin “PlastikMan”

Ronald Prent

Tutorial Session T7

Chamber Reverb—D.I.Y. : Send Your Snare to the Stairwell, Your Kalimba to the Kitchen, and Your Bassoon to the Bathroom

Presenter

Alex U. Case

Tutorial Session T8

Loudspeaker Basics and Planar-Magnetics

Presenter

David Clark

Tutorial Session T9

Preservation, Archiving, and Restoration: A Look at Practical Application

Presenters

David Ackerman

Peter Alyea

Chris Lacinak

Tutorial Session T11

Audio Compression

Presenter

John Strawn

Tutorial Session T12

Project Studio Design: Layout, Acoustics, Sound System, Tuning – Part 1

Presenter

Anthony Grimani

Tutorial Session T13

Audio Ear Training

Presenter

David Moulton

Tutorial Session T14

Distance and Depth Perception

Presenters

Durand Begault

William Martens

Tutorial Session T15

Fundamental Knowledge about Microphones

Presenter

Jörg Wuttke

Tutorial Session T16

Psychophysics and Physiology of Hearing

Presenter

Poppy Crum

Tutorial Session T17

Project Studio Design: Layout, Acoustics, Sound System, Tuning—Part 2

Presenter

Anthony Grimani

Tutorial Session T18

Digital Filters and Filter Design—A Tutorial

Presenters

James Johnston

Bob Adams

Jayant Datta

Tutorial Session T19

Assembly Language Programming: Street Smarts from OOP

Presenter

John Strawn

Master Classes

Master Class M1

Terry Manning: Classic Recording Techniques from Albert King to ZZ Top

Master Class M2

Doug Sax: What Happened to Dynamic Range, and Why

Master Class M3

Oliver Archut: Vintage Gear Insider

Master Class M4

John Klett: The Art of Studio Maintenance

Master Class M5

Bob Clearmountain: Mix This

Live Sound Seminars

Live Sound Event

LIVE SOUND SYMPOSIUM: SURROUND LIVE III - Totally Surrounded

Chair

Frederick J. Ampel

Panelists

Kurt Graffy

Dave Haydon

Randy Hoffner

Mark Hood

Jonathan Lane-Talaskey

Riccardo Mazza

Mike Pappas

Live Sound Event L1

Broadway Designers’ Symposium: The Musical

Live Sound Event L2

Wireless Microphones and Performers: Mic Placement and Handling for Multiple Actors

Live Sound Event L3

Sound Design for Drama—Soundscape/Soundscore

Live Sound Event L4

System Tuning

Live Sound Event L5

Wireless Management in Stressful Environments: Broadway/Times Square—Live and Televised Events with Multiple Channels of RF and RF Intercom

Live Sound Event L6

Intercom and Large Scale Events—Olympics/Superbowl—Stadiums

Live Sound Event L7

Industrial Strength Audio—Corporate Theater and Its Peculiarities

Live Sound Event L8

Playback

Live Sound Event L9

PA for TV: Mixing for a Live Audience while Satisfying Production Demands

Live Sound Event L10

Touring Sound—Live Music in a Different Venue Every Night of the Week for Weeks or Months or Years at a Time

Special Events

Special Event Session

GRAMMY ROUNDTABLE

Special Event Session

PLATINUM PRODUCERS

Ron Fair

Panelists

TBA

Special Event Session

Platinum Engineers—The All-Star Mix Engineers Panel

Jack Joseph Puig

Panelists

TBA

Special Event Session

Platinum Road Warriors: Live Sound

Clive Young

Special Event Session

Platinum Mastering—Award-Winning Mastering

Bob Ludwig

Panelists

David Glasser

Gavin Lurssen

Joe Palmaccio

Doug Sax

Mark Wilder

Special Event Session

An Afternoon with Ray Dolby

Co-moderators

Barry Fox

Paul Gallo

Special Event Session

PLATINUM SURROUND

Nathaniel Kunkel

Technical Tours

Technical Tour

Technical Tour

ARUP ACOUSTICS

Technical Tour

LATE SHOW WITH DAVID LETTERMAN

Technical Tour

ELECTRIC LADY RECORDING STUDIOS

Technical Tour

TRUTONE MASTERING

Technical Tour

SIRIUS SATELLITE RADIO

Technical Tour

CHUNG KING STUDIOS

Technical Tour

MASQUE SOUND

Technical Tour

FOOD NETWORK

Technical Tour

JAZZ AT LINCOLN CENTER

Historical Events

Historical Session

Recording Studios Past, Present, Future

Harry Hirsch

Panelists

Michael Barbiero

David Malekpour

Robbie Norris

John Storyk, Walters

Historical Session

70th Anniversary of FM Broadcasting: A look at Major Armstrong’s Contribution to Broadcasting

Scott Fybush

Panelists

Robert Carter Brecht

Henry G. Dietz

Steve Hemphill

Gilbert R. Houck

Mike Katzdorn

Renville H. McMann, Jr.

Jerry Minter

Charles E. Sackermann, Jr.

Historical Session

History of the Grand Recording Studios of New York City

Elliot Mazer

Panelists

Brooks Arthur

Dick Charles

Frank Laico

Jeffrey Lesser

Jim Reeves

Walter Sear

Ed Stasium

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bertrand,

I've been waiting for the box set, too!

We mixed all of that a long time ago.

The mixes were from the original analogue 1" 8 track tapes, which were in excellent shape.

The masters needed no baking or help of any kind.

We mixed all 4 nights of recording at Sony, New York.

Airto wasn't there for the first night and McGlaughlin was only there for Saturday ("Live-Evil" release). The guitar takes away the audience track, so the audience is only picked up by the stage microphones. The tracks were: 1-Keith Keyboard 1, 2-Keith Keyboard 2, 3-Gary Bartz, 4-Miles, 5-Bass, 6-Airto, 7-Drums, 8-Audience

We did mix in stereo and surround, although I don't think the surround mixes are due to be released anytime soon. The music is phenominal. I lived in DC during the 70's and went to the Cellar Door many, many times. I tried to make sure the ambience of the club was felt.

The story that I heard from Adam Holtzman and Bob Belden was that the tapes that were in the library were mislabeled, or forgotten because of the release and success of "Live/Evil". As was the custom, back in the day. artists would have a 7" 7.5 ips session tape to take home for audition. Remember this was long before cassettes started to sound acceptable and an acetate disc would be difficult to arrange.

Apparently, Adam found a white 7" box in Miles' library which had, written in pencil, a number that looked like a Columbia work order number. He jotted it down and the next time in the Sony library, put the number in the computer and BINGO!

There was a lot of material and we mixed for 2 weeks.

The latest release date I've heard is December 27.

The Downbeat review from the summer was quite good, but a little premature.

It will be an extraordinary release (when it comes out). The band really never sounded better and there's an excitement that's lacking in a lot of music, these days.

Best

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Allen,

The three mic thing is fine, if you have a group that can properly balance themselves and perform without any anticipated performance changes, but it's highly impractical. It's really something that works for classical ensembles. It also implies that you're working in a room that has an accoustic that is worth listening to. I applaud that you're able to work in such a minimalist technique. It's the more difficult way to proceed.

JA

I asked Jim in a PM about Leslie/Organ micing/recording. Here was his reply that he suggested could be put on the board as well....

From Jim Anderson:

What I've done for years with organs is to use 2 microphones (omni's ususally - dpa 4007's) on the top at 180º and a condenser on the bottom in the back (sanken cu-41, usually). Dave Greene from Toronto suggested 90º to me and it gets a different sound. Experiment! I also like to take in a DI off the back (before the Leslie) of the organ. The bassline is the most difficult part and, for some players, that's why I take in the DI. You need to make sure that you mix in enough bass pedals in the sound of the organ, if not you'll have a difficult time making a distinct bass line in the mix. (I'm assuming that there's not a bass player in the group) Barbara Dennerlien had a special set of midi pedals that connected to a sampler with a bass sample. That was an interesting solution to the problem. I would also spread the top microphones full left and right, with the bottom mike up the middle. I may have covered some of this in the 'Ask' forum, check around. Also, if you'd like to post this on the forum, please be my guest.

Edited by Soul Stream