MLB 2009 Season

Dan, is it the Texas Rangers you are worried about? While I think a division title is still an attainable goal for the Bosox, I can't see them not getting in as a wild card if they don't get the division (whoa, too many negatives). I thought this kind of negativity died after 2004, 2007. Or is this just the mark of a longtime fan who can't forget 67, 75, 78, 86 ect. (I've gotten over it myself).

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 2 teams are fighting for the last place wild card

The Tribe and Royals

The Tribe had back 2 back extra innings game and have no pitching

Masterson was good last night, but yeah, they have no pitching (and little else).

They are, however, about to take 2 out of 3 from Detroit, provided Carl Pavano and a tired pen can protect an 11 run lead for a long 6 outs.

My 2 teams are fighting for the last place wild card

The Tribe and Royals

The Tribe had back 2 back extra innings game and have no pitching

Question: Is Shane Costa back with the Royals? Last I heard he was sent down to Triple-A.

The reason I ask is he's a former student of mine.

2B'er Aaron Hill of the Bluejays is also from my town; I announced his number [and Costa's] many times when he played HS ball.

...and Saturday is Victor Martinez bobblehead night at the Tigers/Indians contest. They are still planning to hand them out.

Corporate America bought the right to distribute Victor Martinez bobbleheads and, dammit, they are going to exercise it.

Any guesses as to who promotes steroid use in the MLB?

Hm.

:angry:

Edited by GoodSpeak

Would someone PLEASE beat the blankety-blank mother-blanking blank-damned blank-hole bnlakety-wipe i-don't-care-how-good-they-are-they're-BLANKING-me-off blanking LA Angels???? :crazy:

Amen! It's ridiculous isn't it. Maybe the White Sox can slow them down a bit. Also: Boo! on Texas taking 3 of 4 from Seattle. <_<

Sean McAdam on the Comcast Sports Network Baseball show tonight said that The Boston Red Sox offered The Blue Jays

Clay Bucholz,Mike Bowden,Lars Anderson,Masterson,Hagadone and some more prospects for Doc Halladay and were turned down by Riccardi !!!!.......Unbelievable!

If that's true then Riccardi is an incredibly stupid asshole. That's three guys ready to pitch right now, a top 1B hitting prospect, a first round pick from only a year or two ago and others?

And how about this not-to-be Big Deal:

You thought the Jake Peavy deal was a surprise? The Red Sox, Mariners and Padres discussed a trade that would have made the Peavy acquisition look like the Jason Hirsh deal, according to Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times. Baker hears that the Red Sox gave the Mariners the chance to choose five of the following players in exchange for Felix Hernandez:

* Clay Buchholz

* Daniel Bard

* Justin Masterson

* Nick Hagadone

* Michael Bowden

* Felix Doubront

* Josh Reddick

* Yamaico Navarro

The Mariners apparently turned down the deal, at which point the Padres became involved in discussions about a possible three-way trade. The Mariners would have received Adrian Gonzalez, Buchholz and prospects in the deal. They would have sent Felix to the Red Sox and dealt Brandon Morrow, Phillippe Aumont and Carlos Triunfel to the Padres, who would have received prospects from the Red Sox as well. In the end, Baker says the Mariners nixed the deal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/08/feli...ailed-deal.html

So Seattle was unbelievably stupid, too, missing a chance for Gonzalez AND Buchholz, at the cost of King Felix.

I know King Felix is young and great, and several years still from free agency (maybe two now, I am not 100%) but that would have been a huge price to pay to get him.

Well, thank goodness that the Mariners turned down that deal! Brandon Morrow & Phillippe Aumont both have great arms, who could turn out to be very good pitchers for the Mariners in the next couple of years. Though, the Mariners still have to figure out what to do with them, Both Morrow and Aumont have been jerked around by the organization. But why would a team that's rebuilding for the future take Gonzalez and Buchholz, knowing that they don't want to pay big money for them down the road? I think the Mariners were smart to turn down the deal and hopefully, Hernandez will be a Mariner for a long time.

So Seattle was unbelievably stupid, too, missing a chance for Gonzalez AND Buchholz, at the cost of King Felix.

I know King Felix is young and great, and several years still from free agency (maybe two now, I am not 100%) but that would have been a huge price to pay to get him.

Why the fuck would the Mariners want Buchholz? He's 2 years older than Felix and has pitched like shit for the last 2. Felix is just 23 and in his 5th season, has a 2.78 ERA and a 1.29 WHIP. Fuck Buchholz, he's garbage. Masterson is the same deal too though not as bad. A "prospect" who is older than a proven ace. I doubt the rumor site has its facts straight anyway.

Edited by Quincy

Are you kidding me? You'd be getting multiple major league ready pitchers, and Gonzales is cost-controlled for like three or four years. You'd be worried about Buchholz becoming expensive soon? He has one year on his clock. That leaves five before he reaches free agency! Maybe he's never King Felix but King Felix becomes extremely expensive a helluva lot sooner.

Are you kidding me? You'd be getting multiple major league ready pitchers, and Gonzales is cost-controlled for like three or four years. You'd be worried about Buchholz becoming expensive soon? He has one year on his clock. That leaves five before he reaches free agency! Maybe he's never King Felix but King Felix becomes extremely expensive a helluva lot sooner.

Are you freaking kidding me??? Buchholz, for his career, has pitched in 118 innings and has given up 135 hits, that's fifth starter territory, and a bad fifth man at that! And didn't just get pounded by those fearsome Orioles??? That's a "major league ready pitcher??? Boston can keep him.

Are you freaking kidding me??? Buchholz, for his career, has pitched in 118 innings and has given up 135 hits, that's fifth starter territory, and a bad fifth man at that! And didn't just get pounded by those fearsome Orioles??? That's a "major league ready pitcher??? Boston can keep him.

Well he sure as hell isn't a AAA pitcher either. If you expect to get equal value one for one, why would any trade offer be made? There's certainly a chance that Buchholz turns out to be a AAAA pitcher, but how can you possibly decide that based on barely half a season, TOTAL in the major leagues? How was King Felix after 118 innings in his career? (I'll tell you - age 19 he was great for 12 starts, age 20, he SUCKED for an entire season)

Oh that's right, I forgot that the Mariners are trying to win now, its not about the future.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I am going to enjoy when the Mariners suck shit for years to come, and "King" Felix walks away because he's sick of the losing.

His last few posts have only been about trades, actual or rumored, so he's still living by his self-imposed rule, for now.

I think the Bosox figured out how to use VMart--reduce the exposure of Varitek and Lowell to live pitching. If Youkilis can play third, then VMart does what he did in Cleveland--split time behind the plate and at first. Of course facing the Orioles is a nice way to start...

Carl Pavano rumored to be available for waiver trade. ...Who'd be interested?

His last few posts have only been about trades, actual or rumored, so he's still living by his self-imposed rule, for now.

I think the Bosox figured out how to use VMart--reduce the exposure of Varitek and Lowell to live pitching. If Youkilis can play third, then VMart does what he did in Cleveland--split time behind the plate and at first. Of course facing the Orioles is a nice way to start...

Carl Pavano rumored to be available for waiver trade. ...Who'd be interested?

Lowell's problem isn't live pitching - he's hitting quite well since he came back from the D.L. after the break - but exposure to live balls in play at 3B. He's simply not the defender he was before hip surgery. Hopefully that changes (and they did say he wouldn't be 100% until 2010) but right now he's a big part of the leaky defense and high BABIP. That's the only difference I can think of from last year, him and Nick Green and an even worse Lugo playing SS all the time. Otherwise its the same starters and they don't strike me as bad defensively, though the "advanced" metrics say Bay is bad, I don't believe it.

Rays had Bartlett hitting leadoff today and Aybar replacing Burrell as the DH. Worked beautifully against Greinke. Kapler played instead of Upton and hit ninth. Would like to see Upton moved down in the order -- maybe seventh, behind Aybar. I like Bartlett leading off way more than Upton. He's a much more disciplined hitter and seems to make fewer mistakes running the bases. Maddon said he was going to give it some thought in the post-game, but he had that Cheshire cat grin that you knew he liked what he saw today.