MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As the A.L. wins yet again, the WFC are set to welcome Pedro Martinez in a press conference tomorrow. Reportedly a million dollar contract with 1.5 in incentives (what kind of incentives can you reach if you probably don't make your debut til around August 1?).

So now if you figure the Dodgers and the WFC are probably the leading candidates to be the NL pennant winners, this doubles the chance that there could be a fascinating storyline in October, if the Red Sox win the pennant. Pedro returns to Fenway or Manny returns, with Joe Torre in the dugout ...

Edited by Dan Gould

Anyone know if there is another free "Extra Innings" preview upcoming? Seems to me they try to goose sales at the start of the season and the start of the second half by running a free preview but I haven't noticed any commercials and I can't find any reference on my cable provider's website.

Dan, I subscribe to the baseball package and Time Warner cable. According to there website, there is a freeview from July 16 - 22. The half season package will cost $139.

Thanks Tom. I've never heard of one cable company doing it and not another - they get their cut if a package is bought, so why not? I'll keep an eye out on Thursday to make sure Comcast is doing it too. I'll get to catch Buchholz season debut on Friday. :tup

Directv had one about a month or so ago- pretty cool!

This made me wonder whether Comcast would participate but happily, I have got the Cubbies on right now and will be able to see the Sox tomorrow night.

Which brings up another question - did the terms change on Fox's national exclusive on Saturdays? I paid for MLB.TV last season and if the game started before 7 PM, it couldn't be seen locally unless you were in the local market. But this season, I've caught Rays broadcasts and I think a WGN broadcast, too, on Saturday afternoons. Both the Sox and the Yanks have 1 or 1:30 starts tomorrow, it would be great if I'll be able to watch them.

Well there are no afternoon Extra Innings listings tomorrow, so I guess Fox retains its nationwide exclusive. Maybe since the Rays are on the regional Fox sports network they consider south Florida to be their "market" but that doesn't make a bit of sense, and it doesn't explain the Cub broadcast I saw. :wacko:

Anyway, we've got BREAKING NEWS:

The Red Sox have designated Julio Lugo for assignment.

Thank God. What a ridiculous signing that was, and there's no way they'll get anything for him now, as any interested team will wait out the ten days and then sign him for the major league minimum while John Henry has to pay him the rest of this year's salary and 9 million next year. (Or I guess 9 million minus the major league minimum but possibly he'll get 9 million + whatever he may sign for - not much if he is on a roster with Jose Offerman though)

The only possible drawback I can see is that Lugo was very tight with Ortiz, hopefully Big Papi doesn't take it as anything other than a simple, and obvious, business decision.

Dan, if you're watching the Rays-Royals broadcast tonight from KC, check out the two rock stars sitting three rows back behind home plate. Wow. Wouldn't want to have paid a bunch of money for seats down there and have to sit behind those two hairdos. :bwallace::D

ED: OK, they put on ball caps now. An improvement.

Shields, on the other hand, a little shaky.

Edited by papsrus

Sorry James I only went back and forth between the Yankee game and the Red Sox. Decent game from Buchholz, it was nice to see that changeup again, it really is a Bugs Bunny pitch. Seems like he has altered his curve though, its much tighter and doesn't have that 5 foot break. Best thing though was Daniel Bard continuing to step up and get big outs. I had doubts about him when he got clobbered in Philly but he said that his problem was not trusting his stuff like he should. Ever since he's been lights out, with 2 ERs in 13 innings, to go with 17 Ks and only 3 walks. In a way his slider is even more impressive than Joba's was when he came up - Joba pumped fastballs by people, then made you chase the slider which went way out of the strike zone. Bard throws fastballs past people (with no effort, unlike Joba) but also throws freezes people with a slider that hits the corners.

With the rest of the bullpen seemingly flirting with a collective slump, its great to have someone who is stepping up and giving Tito another option.

After seeing Buchholz last night and Penny's horrific incompetence today, I cannot wait for Penny's annual second half injury. I'd prefer to just get rid of him by July 31 but I know Theo won't unload his pitching depth, even if it sucks donkey dicks.

Whatever happens with the Yanks this year, I think this has been the most fun team to watch since the 1996-2001 glory days... they finally seem to have some chemistry again. Watching Matsui do the helmet-flip last night after his walk-off home run (the 9th time they've won on a walk-off, already equaling last year's total...of course, some of that due, no doubt, to the new "Air Yankee" stadium effect), I thought, "Man, they actually look like they're having fun out there." Not just the normal end-of-game jubilation, but a sense that they're actually a team, and not just a bunch of guys that the Boss paid to play.