MLB 2009 Season

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you know? Seattle 35-34, and just 2.5 games out of first. Of course, Mariner fans have been down this road before, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts, plus, the Angels don't look all that hot either.

Just beat the Yankees in a week - but don't give the Sox too much trouble. ;)

A rules question

A guy slides into 2nd base and his helmet falls off right before getting to the base

The helmet falls in his rib area as he gets to the base and fielder attempts to tag him but can't tag anything but the helmet

Would the runner be out?

IMO the runner couldn't use the helmet as a shield from the tag

This play somewhat happened in the Sunday night game

I would say that if the runner used the helmet as a shield - moving it to block the tag - he'd be ruled out.

If on the other hand the helmet landed on his chest and the fielder swiped the helmet, not his uniform, the umpire could rule him safe.

I would say that if the runner used the helmet as a shield - moving it to block the tag - he'd be ruled out.

If on the other hand the helmet landed on his chest and the fielder swiped the helmet, not his uniform, the umpire could rule him safe.

Hate to be a know-it-all here, but if the helmet is touching the body at the time of the tag, it is considered a part of the body, therefore the runner is out.

I've never seen a play like that

He didn't try to use the helmet as a shield.but the way it fell somewhat made it one

The fielder did a swip tag and all he got was the helmet

I'd say if the helmet was touching the runner he should be out

The helmet prevented a clean tag by the fielder

It happened towards the end of the dodgers and angels game and they showed the replay about 3 times

I've never seen a play like that

He didn't try to use the helmet as a shield.but the way it fell somewhat made it one

The fielder did a swip tag and all he got was the helmet

I'd say if the helmet was touching the runner he should be out

The helmet prevented a clean tag by the fielder

It happened towards the end of the dodgers and angels game and they showed the replay about 3 times

So was he ruled safe or out?

The Philly Inky has some old photos up on their site. Unfortunately it's a Flash program so I can't link or download the photos. Anyway... there's one photo of old Connie Mack Stadium(Shibe Park) Where the A's and the Phils played. One of the photos has the field dimensions as left field foul pole 334ft., right field foul pole 331ft., and a whopping 468 feet to dead center!! :crazy:

Here's some more from Wiki...

The park was the site of some special home run feats. Babe Ruth hit one to deep left-center on September 9, 1921, that cleared the then-single bleacher stand, went across the street, and hit a tree, over 500 feet away. On May 22, 1930, Ruth hit one to right field over the then-lower wall which landed in an alley behind the second row of houses, again over 500 feet distant. On June 3, 1932, Lou Gehrig hit 4 in one game here. Showing no favoritism, he hit two to the left field bleachers, two over the still-short right field wall, and a shot at a fifth with a deep fly to center (whose corner at that time was about 470 feet away), but the center fielder snared it on a running catch. In later years, Dick Allen hit some booming drives over the double-decked bleachers, in the general direction of the 1921 Ruthian shot.

Anyway... there's one photo of old Connie Mack Stadium(Shibe Park) Where the A's and the Phils played. One of the photos has the field dimensions as left field foul pole 334ft., right field foul pole 331ft., and a whopping 468 feet to dead center!! :crazy:

Makes one appreciate Richie Asburn having to run 'em down. I bet Gary Maddox could have handled it too. Not that he would have wanted too!

Well thankfully the Sox held on to beat the Nats 6-4, an important win for two reasons:

The luck of the MFY was bound to change sooner or later, and it did tonight, so at least they stay 5 games back.

Smoltz goes for the sweep in his 2009 debut tomorrow (why the hell is MLB Network going with a different game for Thursday night baseball?). Easier to go for the sweep than if they had lost tonight and were asking Smoltz to keep the Nats from taking the series. Hopefully we keep it going tomorrow but no one knows what Smoltz will have in his first game back - I'm anxious to find out but won't be devastated if we don't get the sweep.

A .750 winning percentage in June will do that. :g

Bosox vs Washington is a total freaking mismatch

Boston should sweep them

If its a total freaking mismatch, then the Red Sox must be substantially better than the Yankees and Toronto, since the Nats took four out of six, on the road, from those two teams.

Anything can happen in baseball.

I certainly had my suspicions but until now I never truly knew how stupid Steve Lyons is:

Lyons: None of those numbers — that UZR-mum thing that rates defense —

Collins: UZR. Ultimate Zone Rating.

Lyons: UZR. And your WHIPs and your OPSes. They don't show me what kind of heart the guy has. BABIP?

Collins: Batting Average on Balls in Play?

Lyons: Stupid. Doesn't tell me if the guy is a player. Doesn't tell me if the guy can play. Is he a gamer? Does he get dirty? Does he go out there and play hard? Is he a good teammate? None of that stuff tells me any of that. That's the guy I want.

More here. We can only hope Joe Posnanski takes aim at this clown.

Serious pitching duel going right now in Tampa between the Phils & the Rays. Both starters have ERAs over 6.00. It's 4-4 in the bottom of the 2nd.

Pass the Tums.

Edit: make that 5-4 Rays in the bottom of the 2nd.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Searching for silver linings:

Smoltz allowed one run over the last four innings

Retired (or recorded outs) on the last eight batters faced

Threw strikes consistently - 62 out of 92 pitches

Hopefully he was too amped up and he'll improve going forward. Not sure if it was fair to expect a lot more in his first start in a full year.

I'm not at all sure the point though of allowing him to hit in a 5-0 game when he was at 80 pitches after 4 innings. He has to come out for the fifth? If he hadn't struck out the side, he would have been yanked at some point anyway. Why not get someone off the bench and see if they can get something started?

Sure looks like the win streak will come to an end, though if they can get the starter out I guess anything is possible with the Nats bullpen. Here's their best chance - 1st and third, one out with Ortiz at the plate. We need something bad with the Yankees blowing out the Braves.

We needed more than a sac fly, Ortiz. :angry:

Well Bard has helped insure that there won't be a comeback (he's looked terrible since at least the Phils series and may need a return to Pawtucket) but if the Braves can start pitching a bit they might catch the Yankees - they scored five in the fourth to knock Pettitte out of what should have been an easy 8-1 victory. C'mon Braves! And Phils!!!!

I know there's still 3 more months of baseball left and the WFCs are in first place but the Phillies are done. DONE. Stick a fork in 'em. I can't see them recovering from this funk that they're in right now. They've lost 11 out of the last 13 w/ 6 of those at home in back to back sweeps. Hopefully they won't trade the farm system for a late run at the playoffs. Ruben, pack it in and stock up on some arms for next year when everyone's healthy.

I know there's still 3 more months of baseball left and the WFCs are in first place but the Phillies are done. DONE. Stick a fork in 'em. I can't see them recovering from this funk that they're in right now. They've lost 11 out of the last 13 w/ 6 of those at home in back to back sweeps. Hopefully they won't trade the farm system for a late run at the playoffs. Ruben, pack it in and stock up on some arms for next year when everyone's healthy.

I guess it's the Marlin's year, eh what??? :mellow: Though you do sound like a Red Sox fan right about now! ^_^ Losing at home is terrible, having only 2 starters as well sucks...but, Mets wish they had duct tape and bailing wire holding them together. The Braves...well, they have 2 singles hitters in the outfield, that don't hit for much average either. Our top Home Run and RBI guy continues to bat leadoff, cuz he has some speed! :crazy: Our 2nd baseman has forgotten how to hit. Our SS makes mental errors every single game.

But, we have very good starting pitching, and a 1-2 punch in the 8th and 9th. All offset by the dumbest manager in the game.

I still think when Lidge and Ibanez (I think he is a big reason you have sucked so much of late) get back, you will see a turnaround. Didn't you guys have a period of suckiness like this last year, around this time????