MLB 2009 Season

Are the Mets doomed again by ghosts from the past??

The future has been written for the 2009 New York Mets, and it is not good. They are modern day Jobs, all of them. Only in this run, there is no reprieve. A team with baseball's second-highest payroll will win, oh, 85 games and finish 10 games behind Philadelphia. They will add someone -- Aubrey Huff? Nick Johnson? -- to the mix, sing his praises, find a groove, then sink back to reality. They will fire their manager, trade off their prospects, talk about the new Mets, the fresh Mets, the exciting Mets. But they're still the haunted Mets.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...x.html?bcnn=yes

Frankly w/ the Phillies starting pitching ERA hovering around 6.00 and Lidge just giving away games like Santa gifting presents, I wonder if this obit is a tad premature....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Find it hard to believe that the Red Sox will trade Brad Penny away, for all people, Jeff Francoeur?? What's that about? I know Big Papi is no good any more, but Francoeur the answer? If I'm the Red Sox, pitching is more important than adding another bat.

That is one of the sillier rumors that will have no validity in the end. Number one, Francoer is the exact opposite of everything Theo has worked to develop on the major league roster - patience at the plate, a high OBP. Number two, of all the potential playoff competitors, do the Braves really need pitching? They think they have enough pitching to release Glavine, why would they want Penny?

Penny will end up with a team like Philly or Texas, for a middle-grade prospect. And the sooner the better because after last night's stinker, and the one that is sure to come against the Yankees, I don't want to see Penny ever again.

But if Penny goes to the Braves for Frenchy, I'll burn my Faith Rewarded DVD.

The future has been written for the 2009 New York Mets, and it is not good. They are modern day Jobs, all of them. Only in this run, there is no reprieve. A team with baseball's second-highest payroll will win, oh, 85 games and finish 10 games behind Philadelphia. They will add someone -- Aubrey Huff? Nick Johnson? -- to the mix, sing his praises, find a groove, then sink back to reality. They will fire their manager, trade off their prospects, talk about the new Mets, the fresh Mets, the exciting Mets. But they're still the haunted Mets.

Frankly w/ the Phillies starting pitching ERA hovering around 6.00 and Lidge just giving away games like Santa gifting presents, I wonder if this obit is a tad premature....

Well, It's funny...the mutts win even with a cast of nobodies and has-beens. Braves have less luck with has-beens. ;) If the Marlins hadn't fallen apart, it really could have been their year.

Phillies should try to get Penny and then a #1 or #2 guy. J.H., have you heard of any rumors of Cliff Lee??? You get him and have Penny go 5-6 innings and only give up 4 runs a game, and you guys win the east.

Or will Bastardo, or whatever his name is, get called up???

That is one of the sillier rumors that will have no validity in the end. Number one, Francoer is the exact opposite of everything Theo has worked to develop on the major league roster - patience at the plate, a high OBP. Number two, of all the potential playoff competitors, do the Braves really need pitching? They think they have enough pitching to release Glavine, why would they want Penny?

Penny will end up with a team like Philly or Texas, for a middle-grade prospect. And the sooner the better because after last night's stinker, and the one that is sure to come against the Yankees, I don't want to see Penny ever again.

But if Penny goes to the Braves for Frenchy, I'll burn my Faith Rewarded DVD.

By burn, I assume you mean make a copy for folks??? ;) Both guys are headaches right now. Frenchy has talent, no doubt, send him to AAA for a month or two, and I bet ya he comes back a patient guy.

Big Papi is getting his eyes checked with a doctor

He says he has 20/20 vision

Ted Williams had 20/10 vision.

I'm glad the Rays held on - its great to see Mariano getting hit, he may turn out to be human after all - but its painfully obvious that its not 2008 anymore and the Rays bullpen has turned back into a pumpkin. They really need help there, as in several new arms, if they are going to repeat as division champs, let alone AL champs.

Well, It's funny...the mutts win even with a cast of nobodies and has-beens. Braves have less luck with has-beens. ;) If the Marlins hadn't fallen apart, it really could have been their year.

Phillies should try to get Penny and then a #1 or #2 guy. J.H., have you heard of any rumors of Cliff Lee??? You get him and have Penny go 5-6 innings and only give up 4 runs a game, and you guys win the east.

Or will Bastardo, or whatever his name is, get called up???

Don't want anything to do w/ Penny. He usually starts off fast and then is done by August. Haven't heard a peep about Lee.

Bastardo started this week vs. the Padres and went 6 strong innings for the win in his MLB debut. However, I don't think he's ready quite yet. He basically throws 3 pitches - fastball, fastball, and fastball. He couldn't locate his slider or change up all night but that could have been due to nerves. J.A. Happ is looking pretty good though. 4-0 so far. What the Phils really need is a right hand bat off the bench that can play outfield.

EDIT: F*ck. Lidge just blew another save. 2nd in row vs. the Dodgers and 6th on the season.

Memo to Uncle Charlie....

Shut him down. NOW.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

At the risk of being guilty of the worst possible jinx, Jon Lester is mowing down the Rangers in nearly unbelievable fashion: Only 52 pitches (37 strikes) through five innings, no walks, no hits, 9 Ks. We gotta get some more runs on the board though - only a Mike Lowell home run is the difference right now. Now's the time I wish I had the money for Extra Innings. I wonder if MLB Network will break away from their Saturday game if he takes this into the eighth. They have to, don't they?

These things are so rare, and the chance he had looked so good, its very disappointing. But easier to take with an 8-0 lead and the comfort of knowing that for the last month, Beckett has looked like Beckett 2007, and for the last two games, Lester has looked as great as anytime in 2008. Two aces back at the top of the rotation, Papi starting to hit a bit, I feel just a bit better than I did a week ago.

What the hell is going on with Vicente Padilla? There were reports that he had been placed on waivers in the aftermath of his throwing at Teixeira, but then he'd still be listed as today's starter at Fenway. Then I saw that he had cleared waivers - and there were reports about how pleased the Texas clubhouse was to be through with him. Now I see he's today's starter? WTF? :wacko:

What the hell is going on with Vicente Padilla? There were reports that he had been placed on waivers in the aftermath of his throwing at Teixeira, but then he'd still be listed as today's starter at Fenway. Then I saw that he had cleared waivers - and there were reports about how pleased the Texas clubhouse was to be through with him. Now I see he's today's starter? WTF? :wacko:

Guess if he wasn't picked up on waivers, the Rangers either have to release him, or try to work out a trade. So maybe today's start is a "show-and-trade" start for Padilla. If he does decent, I would not be surprised to see him go by the end of the week.

Edited by Matthew

Guess if he wasn't picked up on waivers, the Rangers either have to release him, or try to work out a trade. So maybe today's start is a "show-and-trade" start for Padilla. If he does decent, I would not be surprised to see him go by the end of the week.

No, he wasn't put on irrevocable waivers - this was a total bullshit move by Texas to send a "message" to the a-hole with full knowledge that no team would take him and his 8 million dollar salary. So the poor Ranger hitters will have to continue to risk being target practice for retaliation pitches whenever he decides he can't get someone out or just doesn't like someone on the other team.

David Otiz tires to steal a base with two out???? I think his brain is dry also....

If you watch them at all, they do that a lot. He just left three seconds early.

And this fucking game is infuriating me - Matzuzaka can never pitch for this squad again and I'll be much happier/three outs made at second base/the bases loaded and one out and nobody scores all adding up to a fucking lost series to the utterly unimpressive Rangers (I'm trying to be nice here, Al) at home (where the fucking Rangers haven't won in twelve years or something.

:rmad::excited:

David Otiz tires to steal a base with two out???? I think his brain is dry also....

If you watch them at all, they do that a lot. He just left three seconds early.

And this fucking game is infuriating me - Matzuzaka can never pitch for this squad again and I'll be much happier/three outs made at second base/the bases loaded and one out and nobody scores all adding up to a fucking lost series to the utterly unimpressive Rangers (I'm trying to be nice here, Al) at home (where the fucking Rangers haven't won in twelve years or something.

:rmad::excited:

What made the attempted steal sick to my mind is that even if Ortiz stole it, a single still would not drive him in...

I forgot to add this snarky comment: I haven't watched the Red Sox a lot this year, I follow a much more interesting team -- the Seattle Mariners. :beee:

Well I hope they bring you great joy and pleasure.

Not.

:P

Dan

Who was the Bosox minor league player that was at the plate and kicked the catcher in the chest protector and then charged the mound?

He ever make it to the majors?

I don't remember his name but I am pretty sure he got released sometime after that, might have made it to the majors briefly with someone else.