MLB 2009 Season

The WFCs swept the first place Marlins today. Hopefully this is the start something good.

The two 9th inning comebacks by the WFCs were the first time they had done that in consecutive games on the road since they did it against the Dodgers. The Brooklyn Dodgers.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The WFCs swept the first place Marlins today. Hopefully this is the start something good.

The two 9th inning comebacks by the WFCs were the first time they had done that in consecutive games on the road since they did it against the Dodgers. The Brooklyn Dodgers.

Is that "World F-ing Champions"?

Even the most arrogant Sox bandwagoners didn't adopt that nickname.

Is that "World F-ing Champions"?

Even the most arrogant Sox bandwagoners didn't adopt that nickname.

It's not arrogance. It's a nod to Chase Utley.

Was that steal of home one of the coolest things you ever saw or what?

Pretty amazing that the homestand started by falling behind the Orioles 7-0 and ended 9-0. Masterson is such a weapon, he's now pitched a minimum of five innings in every major league start, with 4 or fewer runs allowed. If he stayed as a starter I can't see how he couldn't develop into a quality 2 or 3, and its obvious what he brings to the bullpen. The ability to do both makes him incredibly valuable.

And then you get someone like Bowden called up and throwing two perfect innings in a close game against the Yanks. I hate his motion and can't imagine that he'll avoid injury but he throws with so much downward action you can see why he's been a top-rated prospect or close to it. Turn the crank, bring up another young talented arm. And you haven't even seen Buchholz or Daniel Bard yet.

Early impressions:

Red Sox are a force, even with Big Papi in a big funk. I like the brand of baseball they're playing -- aggressive.

Yankees pitching may have been a tad overrated. They seem in decline.

Jays are a LOT better offensively. And that could be huge in the AL East.

Somebody get the Goodies powder. Rays have a nasty hangover. Upton, Navarro are really struggling at the plate. Zero clutch hitting. They're going to have to scrap just to get back to .500.

I'm jumping off the Marlins bandwagon. Bull pen is a disaster, it looks like.

Is Seattle that much improved? What's going on there?

The NL Central looks like a dogfight. Pittsburgh is a nice early surprise. About time!

Early impressions:

Somebody get the Goodies powder. Rays have a nasty hangover. Upton, Navarro are really struggling at the plate. Zero clutch hitting. They're going to have to scrap just to get back to .500.

Rays had the same record at this time last year, too early to get to up or down on your team.

Red Sox are doing what was projected however, I will be rooting for the field vs the Red Sox. Boston fans are the most spoiled in all of sports.

Red Sox are doing what was projected however, I will be rooting for the field vs the Red Sox. Boston fans are the most spoiled in all of sports.

Objection. We earned this. And believe me, the real fans understand how precious, and likely short-lived, this is.

<Yankee Baiting Follows>

Now, when Jeter signs with Boston as a free-agent to be a utility infielder, THEN you can call us spoiled. :tophat:

Edited by Thom Keith

Objection. We earned this. And believe me, the real fans understand how precious, and likely short-lived, this is.

Well I would hope so, you have to be both very good and lucky to win a championship. But I can't recall in my lifetime where Boston didn't have at least one team in the post season between basketball, baseball and football in any given year and I am 40.

Meanwhile, over in loser land in the bay area the Giants blogs are blowing up because their closer Twittered form a night club in Arizona at 1 am in the morning, which is fine except that he blew a 3 run lead in the 9th and the Giants lost the game later that same Sunday.

Well I would hope so, you have to be both very good and lucky to win a championship. But I can't recall in my lifetime where Boston didn't have at least one team in the post season between basketball, baseball and football in any given year and I am 40.

What a shame you don't remember 2000. :) An Oh-fer 4!

It's mostly the Celtics "fault" that Boston has a long playoff presence for the past 40 odd years yet they've been in hibernation several years until recently. I'd almost not count making the opening round in the NBA or NHL as they let so many teams into the playoffs, but I wouldn't want to cause any grief for any of Memphis "o" members.

Edited by Quincy

Let's also hear it for Cliff Lee, who matched Wake inning for inning, and faced a tougher lineup. Paps making it a bit interesting against the bottom of the Tribe order...

Yeah, Lee obviously pitched very well, a good sign that he's getting his stuff together. :tup

Paps is beginning to really bother me. He's altered his delivery as well as his approach (note the hands at his shoulder, not his waist, for one thing). The idea is to use his legs more to save stress on his shoulder and he says his shoulder feels great, but where are the results? ERA is OK, but he doesn't dominate with swings and misses, and his WHIP is substantially higher than it used to be. I kind of like the way he's throwing his slider more, but his fastball command is off. He had that nearly brutal game in Anaheim when he barely held on for the one win against the Angels, and he's had so many other saves - like this one tonight - that have been far more difficult than they have ever been.

And what about Mike Lowell, motoring around for a triple! :g Hip? What hip?

And about Jason Bay ... don't the Red Sox have to get him locked up before he hits free agency? Let the Yanks over-pay for Matt Holliday. The Sox have a guy who loves Boston, and does everything well (hit for power, run) or well enough - (play defense, hit for average) and if anything, given the chance the Yankees would try to hurt them by snatching Bay. There's no reason to go for Holliday at all. Plus he's already talked about the possibility of playing for the Yankees.

Well there was a hell of pitching duel tonight in Philly. 13-11 in favor of the WFCs. The Phillies hit not one but two grand slams. Yowza.

In San Francisco that would mean an extra inning loss [after leading for 8 innings] at the hands of the *@#&%$!!! bullpen.

Does college baseball have any pitching talent anymore?

Well, it sure as hell doesn't show up in SF.

Dave Righetti must DIE.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Yanks cut ticket prices.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4108293

Here's another take...

I watched an afternoon game between the Yankees and A's last Wednesday, and the first 10 rows from dugout to dugout looked like they were closed. There was the random straggler down there, learning the hard way that a $2,500 seat doesn't buy companionship, but for the most part it looked like a Pirates home game. In a rainstorm.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=keown/090428