Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Speaking of Born Under a Bad Sign, my son was learning that for his School of Rock Blues Show and I gave him the Albert King version and we listened to the Cream version. Just no comparison, not one of their great efforts.

I agree. I like Jack Bruce as a bass player, but a blues singer he was not.

Seems to me that Ticket To Ride is the dividing line for the Beatles music; that it is a great song is a given, but it really has a completely different feel to it than what they did before musically. Great lead in for Rubber Soul and the rest that was to follow. The production was a major step up also. I can't wait for that mono box.

Seems to me that Ticket To Ride is the dividing line for the Beatles music; that it is a great song is a given, but it really has a completely different feel to it than what they did before musically. Great lead in for Rubber Soul and the rest that was to follow. The production was a major step up also. I can't wait for that mono box.

It's interesting to compare their pre-Pepper UK singles with the US singles.

The US singles often included ballads and mid-tempo pop, e.g. "Yesterday," "And I Love Her," "Eight Days a Week."

The UK singles, on the other hand, typically featured harder pop-rockers, usually based on heavy riffs, e.g. "I Feel Fine," "Ticket to Ride," "Day Tripper," "Paperback Writer." These were all singles in the US, of course, but the US released so many additional singles.

These singles are all much harder and more powerful in mono, too. IMHO.

You know I've had the same exact revelation once before. I don't own any of their pre-Rubber Soul Stuff except (now) the first disc of Past Masters but I've heard quite a bit. But I had that same revelation when listening to Vol. 2 of the Anthology Sets. Ticket to Ride just sort of jumps out at you. Then again, since then I was kind of blown away by something that I think came earlier or maybe the same time (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) -- their performance of Twist & Shout which I think was for the Queen (on one of the Anthology DVDs). They're still decked out in matching suits with ties, but there's a pretty palpable energy and rawness (much like on Ticket to Ride) that they bring to this performance that undermines the sort of strictly controlled get-up they have on stage. Of course, the visual component admittedly adds an important ingredient to the mix and most certainly effects my perception of what was going on.

You know I've had the same exact revelation once before. I don't own any of their pre-Rubber Soul Stuff except (now) the first disc of Past Masters but I've heard quite a bit. But I had that same revelation when listening to Vol. 2 of the Anthology Sets. Ticket to Ride just sort of jumps out at you. Then again, since then I was kind of blown away by something that I think came earlier or maybe the same time (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) -- their performance of Twist & Shout which I think was for the Queen (on one of the Anthology DVDs). They're still decked out in matching suits with ties, but there's a pretty palpable energy and rawness (much like on Ticket to Ride) that they bring to this performance that undermines the sort of strictly controlled get-up they have on stage. Of course, the visual component admittedly adds an important ingredient to the mix and most certainly effects my perception of what was going on.

"For this next song I'd like to ask your help: Would the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you just rattle your jewelry..."

Great minds think a like... :crazy:

PS: The Twist and Shout Performance for the Queen.

Edited by Matthew

Not that I disagree but I would maybe move the line up to the single that came out right before Help in I Feel Fine. Not quite as heavy as Ticket To Ride but its got that great rif and with the feedback at the beginning it was the kind of launching of making the recording studio their instrument.

Not that I disagree but I would maybe move the line up to the single that came out right before Help in I Feel Fine. Not quite as heavy as Ticket To Ride but its got that great rif and with the feedback at the beginning it was the kind of launching of making the recording studio their instrument.

But is there really THAT much difference between "I Feel Fine" and "A Hard Day's Night?" or between "Help" and, say. "No Reply"? And aren't some Help songs like "Another Girl" and "The Night Before" really things that could have sounded OK on A Hard Day's Night and maybe even Meet The Beatles?

True story-about 20 years ago, I was in London for a few days, staying at The President, a seedy old hotel in Russel Square. One Sunday evening, I decided to go have some fish and chips, and then take a stroll. I had some guidebook that informed me the Sea Shell Restaurant in Lisson Grove had the best fish and chips in town (they did, and probably still do). So I studied my London Underground map, and determined I could take the tube from Russel Square to Marylebone, walk to the Sea Shell, have dinner, then walk up Lisson Grove to St. John's Wood, and take the tube back to my hotel.

So I set out from my hotel room, took the tube to Marylebone, and got off on the deserted platform. Looking around, I felt a strange sense of familiarity with the surroundings. After a minute, it struck me-this very station was where the opening scene of A Hard Days Night was filmed! I thought "how cool is that?" and proceeded to dinner. After I dined, I continued my walk up Lisson Grove to St. John's Wood, and was suddenly stopped in my tracks by another familiar sight. I thought "No, it couldn't be. These zebra crossings probably all look the same". But sure enough, I recognized the buildings, and the white gate and low wall in front of Abbey Road Studios on my left. I didn't know it, but as you go north, Lisson Grove becomes Abbey Road, and I had stumbled onto another Beatles landmark! I swear I had no idea about any of this when I left the hotel, I just wanted fish and chips and some exercise. I took a couple of pictures, as I figured nobody would believe me back home.

What does this have to do with the reissued CD's? Well, nothing, but when I purchased my copy of the Abbey Road CD, the memory came flooding back, so I thought I'd bore you all with it.

True story-about 20 years ago, I was in London for a few days, staying at The President, a seedy old hotel in Russel Square. One Sunday evening, I decided to go have some fish and chips, and then take a stroll. I had some guidebook that informed me the Sea Shell Restaurant in Lisson Grove had the best fish and chips in town (they did, and probably still do). So I studied my London Underground map, and determined I could take the tube from Russel Square to Marylebone, walk to the Sea Shell, have dinner, then walk up Lisson Grove to St. John's Wood, and take the tube back to my hotel.

So I set out from my hotel room, took the tube to Marylebone, and got off on the deserted platform. Looking around, I felt a strange sense of familiarity with the surroundings. After a minute, it struck me-this very station was where the opening scene of A Hard Days Night was filmed! I thought "how cool is that?" and proceeded to dinner. After I dined, I continued my walk up Lisson Grove to St. John's Wood, and was suddenly stopped in my tracks by another familiar sight. I thought "No, it couldn't be. These zebra crossings probably all look the same". But sure enough, I recognized the buildings, and the white gate and low wall in front of Abbey Road Studios on my left. I didn't know it, but as you go north, Lisson Grove becomes Abbey Road, and I had stumbled onto another Beatles landmark! I swear I had no idea about any of this when I left the hotel, I just wanted fish and chips and some exercise. I took a couple of pictures, as I figured nobody would believe me back home.

What does this have to do with the reissued CD's? Well, nothing, but when I purchased my copy of the Abbey Road CD, the memory came flooding back, so I thought I'd bore you all with it.

Thanks for boring us, great story, must of been a shock to find yourself in the midst of all that. Webcam shot of the Abby Road crossing that on 24/7. Can you post your pictures?

Thanks for boring us, great story, must of been a shock to find yourself in the midst of all that. Webcam shot of the Abby Road crossing that on 24/7. Can you post your pictures?

Unfortunately, no, I can't. First, they are on Kodachrome slides, I have no clue how to scan them, or if they even can be scanned, and second, after 21 years, I don't even know where they are as I type this. I assume I still have them, but God knows where.

Thanks for the webcam link, that's pretty interesting. I didn't know Abbey Road is the world's oldest recording studio complex, 78 years and counting.

Edited by kw21925

But is there really THAT much difference between "I Feel Fine" and "A Hard Day's Night?" or between "Help" and, say. "No Reply"? And aren't some Help songs like "Another Girl" and "The Night Before" really things that could have sounded OK on A Hard Day's Night and maybe even Meet The Beatles?

I've always thought the guitar intro to I feel fine was one of the great rock 'n roll riffs. The guitar on Ticket to Ride is also great. Reminds me of The Byrds. Apparently it's played by Paul.

Got to 'Rubber Soul' night.

Apart from being (to my mind) their best collection of songs up to that point (I'd say they go even better in that respect on the next one), the sound quality and general care over things like tuning is much, much better.

It's almost as if that up to that point they were still being considered by those in charge as a pop band whose audience would not notice an out of tune guitar; where here they were seeing the records might just have a longer term future and be reaching an audience beyond teenagers who might expect a little more. Or maybe technology just got better.

Pure speculation on my part. But whereas I enjoy the earlier records in parts and with reservations, this one really holds together on so many levels.

Very enjoyable to revisit the music in this way.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Very enjoyable to revisit the music in this way.

I am enjoying you thoughts on these as your going though them, keep em coming.

When I went through new remaster of Rubber Soul I was thinking that while obviously some songs are better than others there isn't a lousy track or throw away on the whole thing. Even toward the end its keeps going strong with If I Needed Someone and Run For Your Life.

Apart from being (to my mind) their best collection of songs up to that point (I'd say they go even better in that respect on the next one), the sound quality and general care over things like tuning is much, much better.

It's almost as if that up to that point they were still being considered by those in charge as a pop band whose audience would not notice an out of tune guitar; where hear they were seeing the records might just have a longer term future and be reaching an audience beyond teenagers who might expect a little more. Or maybe technology just got better.

Do you know that "Rubber Soul" was their most rushed album (aside from the first one)? Marathon sessions with mixing going on in one studio and recording going on in another. "Wait" was a "Help" reject that they dusted off to make the deadline.

It's almost as if that up to that point they were still being considered by those in charge as a pop band whose audience would not notice an out of tune guitar; where hear they were seeing the records might just have a longer term future and be reaching an audience beyond teenagers who might expect a little more. Or maybe technology just got better.

Do you know that "Rubber Soul" was their most rushed album (aside from the first one)? Marathon sessions with mixing going on in one studio and recording going on in another. "Wait" was a "Help" reject that they dusted off to make the deadline.

Didn't know that. But being rushed doesn't mean that those around them in production were not treating the sessions rather more seriously. As I said, pure speculation. It could just be that with all the previous activity they'd simply become better musicians. They'd certainly become more original and consistent songwriters.