Beatles Remasters coming! 09/09/09

Aggie87

Of McCartney's solo stuff, I think his first two solo albums ("McCartney" and "Ram") are worth owning.

Completely agree. As for the albums afterwards, all bets are off.

I think McCartney, Ram, Red Rose Speedway, Band On The Run and McCartney II all have enough good tracks on them to be worth while if your a McCartney fan. His singles like Maybe Im Amazed, Another Day, Mess Im In etc.. I think are great.

The new Fireman album he did last year titled Electric Arguments is actually very enjoyable. It was a what the heck download on emusic and to my surprise it damn good. A good return to the early 70's rockin stuff which was not expected and the last Fireman releases were electronica.

I agree with Bev though that the best post Beatles record, Beatle inspired stuff was by XTC. Skylarking is a masterpiece.

Some of the Flaming Groovies stuff is also quite fun.

Edited by WorldB3

Oh and I'll also chime in to say that I agree that Magical Mystery Tour sounds better in mono than stereo on the new reissues (and on vinyl; my vinyl has always been mono, and nice-sounding).

Started collecting Lennon solo recordings; got the two Plastic Ono Band recordings, a "Legend" collection, and the Rock and Roll album. Good stuff that I had never owned before (but heard a lot in the "air" and at parties years ago). Don't feel the need to get any McCartney recordings. . . .:)

How about George Harrison's immediate post-Beatle release, All Things Must Pass? I don't have it (yet), but I've heard from others that it along with Lennon's Plastic Ono Band is one of THE essential post-Beatle recordings to pick up. I have the latter, but I haven't fully warmed up to it yet. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

IMHO, George put out the best stuff, post Beatles. All Things Must Pass is essential. I still have the vinyl, with the Apple Jam label on the 3rd record in the set!

Nah, doesn't do it for me.

We're all different.

Oh and I'll also chime in to say that I agree that Magical Mystery Tour sounds better in mono than stereo on the new reissues (and on vinyl; my vinyl has always been mono, and nice-sounding).

Started collecting Lennon solo recordings; got the two Plastic Ono Band recordings, a "Legend" collection, and the Rock and Roll album. Good stuff that I had never owned before (but heard a lot in the "air" and at parties years ago). Don't feel the need to get any McCartney recordings. . . .:)

How about George Harrison's immediate post-Beatle release, All Things Must Pass? I don't have it (yet), but I've heard from others that it along with Lennon's Plastic Ono Band is one of THE essential post-Beatle recordings to pick up. I have the latter, but I haven't fully warmed up to it yet. I have to be in the right mood to listen to it.

IMHO, George put out the best stuff, post Beatles. All Things Must Pass is essential. I still have the vinyl, with the Apple Jam label on the 3rd record in the set!

We're all different.

Of all the post Beatles material by any of them, I think this is the best. As I've said before, if this had been considered a Beatles album, it would have been the best, hands down, IMHO.

Never really cared for any of the post-Beatles stuff apart from the odd individual track. I find the whole 'Imagine' album mawkish (especially the title song) and the Lennon-worship more wish fulfilment than reality.

To my mind, the best post-Beatles albums were made by XTC in the mid-to-late 80s.

Never really cared for Lennon's post Beatle material. However, it might be worth a re-listen as we all change.

Edited by Brad

We're all different.

But we're all brothers and sisters :rofl:

I agree that XTC, especially Skylarking, really gives off a post-Beatles vibe. Another artist whose beautiful songs always remind me of what a contemporary stripped down version of the Beatles might sound like is/was Elliot Smith, before his tragic death 6 years ago. Especially songs from Figure 8 and XO.

EDIT (added clips):

Edited by Norm

I agree that XTC, especially Skylarking, really gives off a post-Beatles vibe. Another artist whose beautiful songs always remind me of what a contemporary stripped down version of the Beatles might sound like is/was Elliot Smith, before his tragic death 6 years ago. Especially songs from Figure 8 and XO.

EDIT (added clips):

Not to mention "Blackbird", "Revolution", "For No One", "I'm So Tired", "Across The Universe", "Jealous Guy", "I, Me, Mine", etc. Apparently it's no accident he sounded like the Beatles.

I did like "Junk Bond Trader", FWIW. I don't think he improved on the Beatles versions of their songs.

EDIT (added clips):

XO is a great album, haven't listened to it years but I use to love it.

So does whether you like mono or stereo depend on your system?

I am seeing just so many wildly divergent opinions on this issue - and I am referring to the issue of sound quality not the fact that there are different takes/versions.

It seems that even the folks who like the mono box concede that a number of the albums sound better in stereo.

I note that Alan Kozinn, a noted Beatle expert, in his NY Times review of the mono and stereo remasters (9/06/09) said that while he admits it is heresy, he likes the sound of the first four albums in stereo, because even though you have the panning issue, he hears so much more clearly what's going in with the vocals and instruments on the stereo versions.

I picked up most of the stereo versions by default - (including the first 4) at Target because the price ($11.98)-buy 2 and get $5 off the third - put price at effectively $10/disc except for the doubles - because the mono box was so hard to get. The hard panning on the stereo versions doesn't bother me and they sound great.

Not sure I want to spring for the mono box - for the cost and space limitations I have..

There has been a lot of helpful opinions by member of this board and on reviews member have posted.

After sjarrell's post I am wondering if the system is a key factor.

Anyone else?

Has anybody found a better price on the stereo CD's (individually or box) anywhere? I've been holding out for affordability reasons. I assume the Target sale is over at this point (I actually don't have one particularly convenient to where I live or work).

I went to a Target a few weeks ago for other stuff and looked and they had ZERO new Beatles remasters. Nada!

skeith, my answer to your stereo/mono question is: both sound great. If you're not a Beatles fanatic (I hardly qualify as one myself) you don't need both and either will suit you, but you're probably going to be happiest with the stereo versions because the final five or so sound spectacular in stereo.

I had the luxury of listening to the mono box set for a week and there were some sessions that seemed to sound better in mono but it's a fine line. I still haven't heard the stereo of the first four lps, and the mono versions are wonderful. When I could compare, the mono and stereo both have pluses and I guess I will just stay with my stereo versions. There are some later singles (Revolution, Hey Jude, Ballad of John and Yoko, etc.) which I think may sound better in mono as they were singles and were expected to be predominantly played on mono sources and I think were consciously mixed for mono, but again the difference is not large. I'm quite happy with my stereo version of Past Masters (the second disc of which may have my most often listened to tracks). If they do release mono cds outside of the box set I'll pick up Sgt. Pepper's and Mono Masters at the least.

I've been reading Revolution in the Head and chuckling as I listen. I just am very different than MacDonald in my thinking about the Beatles. For instance he goes on about various reasons he felt were possible ones that Lennon was looking for a "relaxed" vocal sound on "Revolution." From the first moment I heard that single I felt that the mellow vocal attitude talking about "REVOLUTION" was a deliberate, and effective contrast. Briliiant in fact. And MacDonald totally dismisses one of my favorite Beatles tunes, Harrison's "For You Blue" with one brief paragraph. That song makes me think of my wonderful lover who is just as described in the lyric and by the feel of the song and has made a huge impact on my life; I know that George was sharing a similar feeling very effectively Sharing love is one of the greatest aspects of being alive, and a song like this can be celebrated, not "forgettable." Anyway, I think the MacDonald book is a great source of information, but I really don't connect with much of his "ideas" about the Beatles and the 'sixties.

Listened to Let It Be Naked for the first time yesterday. Less of a big deal than I thought it would be reading a lot of comments about it. Let it Be has become one of my favorite albums. . . I seem to have forgotten how much I enjoyed it in the past and I really enjoy it here and now. Not a bad way to go out.

Edited by jazzbo

As far as sound issues are concerned, I think the Beatles CDs sound excellent in both mono AND stereo. I don't you think you're missing out from a sonic standpoint if you only have the stereo discs. I think the biggest problem with the stereo discs is the fact that the mix is hamfisted on every album until the White Album. The engineers at EMI seem to have been behind the curve when it came to stereo (it has been pointed out by others that American producers and engineers were much better at making stereo mixes during the early to mid '60s). Then there's the fact that more care went into the mono mixes and there was more direct artist input, which gives the mono the edge from an "authenticity" standpoint.

EMI is definitely guilty of gouging here. I think the mono mixes are definitive and really SHOULD be the "standard" versions. But the stereo is the standard version in the US because that's all most people have heard (at least from "Help" on up). I "A/B"ed the mono and stereo versions of "Sgt. Pepper" this afternoon and I think, for a number of reasons, that the mono version sounds better. The biggest difference, of course, is "She's Leaving Home." As has been noted elsewhere, the mono version is faster than the stereo and is pitched higher. At first, it's a little disconcerting, but the ear prefers it after only a few listenings. In comparison, the stereo version now sounds draggy. It's obvious that the Beatles MEANT "She's Leaving Home" to be faster and higher in pitch. For whatever reason, the engineers didn't get the memo and forgot to apply the varispeed to the stereo mix. But the slower version is what we all know.

Similarly, John's vocal on "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" has been treated with a phasing effect on the mono version, but is "naked" on the stereo version. Again, once you hear the mono version, it sounds "right" and the stereo version sounds like a mistake.

There are several other "little" differences (the laughter at the end of "Within You, Without You" is louder in the mono version, as is the crowd noise on "Sgt. Pepper Reprise." In fact, until I heard the mono version, I didn't really NOTICE the crowd noise on the stereo version!) but to me "Lucy" and "She's Leaving Home" are the most significant. To me, it's a matter of what the Beatles WANTED. The mono version is what they wanted the world to hear. For the last several decades, this is not what the world has heard. It's a shame that EMI elected to make the mono version so relatively hard for people to hear...

There are some later singles (Revolution, Hey Jude, Ballad of John and Yoko, etc.) which I think may sound better in mono as they were singles and were expected to be predominantly played on mono sources and I think were consciously mixed for mono...

Every album and single right through Hey Jude and Revolution was "consciously mixed for mono." The White Album was the first one in which GM and the group were actively involved in the stereo.