Duke: The Complete Works 1924-1947

nmorin

I can understand that I guess. I've been buying this music since the seventies, and I've had many versions of much of the RCA set, but the RCA set sounds fantastic, has it all under one roof, and was a nice centennial tribute. Likewise, I've bought the best versions of the Brunswick, Vocalian, Okeh, Harmony, etc. material because. . . I LOVE THIS MUSIC! It has traveled with me on my jazz journey for some time, and I want it at its best. There is little else like it!

My book fell apart too.  Darn.  But that's cool.  Read it once, and knew most everything in it already!

Ditto on the book falling apart. I've been trying to find some oversize sheet protectors with holes for use in 3 ring binders. No luck though. Too bad they couldn't properly bind that book.

I've heard maybe 10 or so discs out of the RCA box and I think they sound great. As Lon said - this is stuff that you want in the best sound you can get because it is SOOO good. I have it a lot of it in various issues, including some great sounding RCA lps from the 50s, but I really think this RCA box sounds the best of what I've heard. OTOH -what I've heard of Proper issues does not come up to this standard (I haven't heard the Duke box). Yes, if it's great the music comes first, but - believe me - sound matters and a bad remaster can lose a lot of the music and make a performance that may turn you on leave you cold.

That's pretty much the list I would draw up. I have the Classics all the way up to 1940 as well; they don't always sound the best by any means, but they're chronological and fill a lot of gaps.

I actually have a few of the Masters of Jazz too for the same reasons. And I really don't think the Columbia cds sound bad, they sound pretty decent in many aspects.

I love the RCA box. . . I'm so glad I have it!  Different strokes for different folks!

Seriously, it's a mixed bag, and I can see why anyone would be into it. I like the idea of it. But for me the bad mastering of the early stuff is a deal-breaker. On my system the early music sounds like boken glass coming through my speakers. Not good! :unsure:

Edited by BruceH

OTOH -what I've heard of Proper issues does not come up to this standard (I haven't heard the Duke box).

I have the Proper Box Ellington "Masterpieces." The sound quality is pretty good overall. They also do a really nice job with the accompanying booklet (although I did just notice a track listing error).

What I'd like to know is if Proper, or the producers of the 40 CD set, actually have any original masters to work with, or all these all made from 78 and LP dubs? What is their source material?

What I'd like to know is if Proper, or the producers of the 40 CD set, actually have any original masters to work with, or all these all made from 78 and LP dubs? What is their source material?

Yeah...that is the big question..I'm sure they don't have access to the original metal parts- so I guess they're limited to dubs, 78s, and digital cloning.

• 1 month later...

I picked up the 40 CD box set from History. My two cents: The sound is acceptable, if not first rate, but certainly not the quality of the RCA box. The sound is of a similar quality as the Classics CDs.

The 40CD set is largely, but not quite, complete--at least compared to what is on the discs in the Classics sequence. It misses a couple tunes here and there (e.g., compared to Classics 1928-1929, 1938-1939, 1939 Vol 2), and misses essentially all of Classics 1939-1940. It gets spotty in 1946-1947.

Like the Classics sequence, it skips a bunch of the early sides in which Duke was accompanying vocalists--these are on the first couple Masters of Jazz CDs.

Still, for under $90, and another couple dozen bucks patching up the misses relative to the Classics CDs, I am thrilled having an essentially complete set of Ellington master takes from 1924 to 1947.

By the way, a VERY nice online Ellington sessionography can be found at A Duke Ellington Panorama

I'm with Chuck on this one. The remastering of the early stuff sounds superb on my system!

I agree about the early stuff. My problem is with the first '40s stuff. I found Jack the Bear to be unlistenable. However i I was able to get hold of the 2 Dreyfus releases of that material which sound great.

• 1 month later...

I ordered this set on amazon.co.uk on December 1, and the estimated delivery date kept getting pushed back and back. Now they've informed me they've given up trying to get it and cancelled my order.

Oh, well. I'll just have to use that money on something else!

It was the same for me, Tom, but with cduniverse.com. This item was backordered for a couple of months, and finally I got tired and didn´t postpone the order anymore. :angry: