new Star Trek Movie!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

star_trek_perfumes_2009.jpg

If I'm reading it correctly, Red Shirt says Because Tomorrow May Never Come, which is certainly better than what I was thinking Red Shirt: May Smell Like Death.

Does anyone remember Galaxy Quest, when one of the extras who gets swept along for the ride, spends the whole picture worrying about being "red shirted"? Classic.

I really enjoyed the movie but what was the deal between Uhura and Spock? That didn't ring true for me at all and where the heck did that come from? I didn't see it built up or developed as a story thread and unless I'm mistaken, there was no precedent or mention of a relationship or "thing" between the characters from the original series. Was this whole deal a creation of the writers, perhaps to show Spock succumbing to his human side? I can't say that I'd blame him but this little twist didn't work for me.

If you watch the first season of Star Trek, there are several interactions between Spock and Uhuru which may have inspired this plot element. One where Uhuru is sort of flirting with Spock out of boredom, or rather trying to get him to flirt with her, another where he plays "space lute" or whatever to accompany her singing and there's friendly affection between them. . . . .

I like that they included this, very much. One of the highligts of the film for me.

I think everyone is taking this a little too seriously. It's STAR TREK for goodness sake, it's not supposed to be "great science"...it's just supposed to be escapist entertainment with good characters. It succeeds on both levels.

I think everyone is taking this a little too seriously. It's STAR TREK for goodness sake, it's not supposed to be "great science"...it's just supposed to be escapist entertainment with good characters. It succeeds on both levels.

OK, for the last time----I don't expect "great science" (whatever the hell THAT is), I don't expect good science, I don't expect realistic science...what do expect? I expect FAKE science ("fictional," you might say) that makes at least a dime's-worth of sense. Yes, I know, WAY too much.

"Red Matter"? I've got you're Red Matter right here.

I really enjoyed the movie but what was the deal between Uhura and Spock? That didn't ring true for me at all and where the heck did that come from? I didn't see it built up or developed as a story thread and unless I'm mistaken, there was no precedent or mention of a relationship or "thing" between the characters from the original series. Was this whole deal a creation of the writers, perhaps to show Spock succumbing to his human side? I can't say that I'd blame him but this little twist didn't work for me.

If you watch the first season of Star Trek, there are several interactions between Spock and Uhuru which may have inspired this plot element. One where Uhuru is sort of flirting with Spock out of boredom, or rather trying to get him to flirt with her, another where he plays "space lute" or whatever to accompany her singing and there's friendly affection between them. . . . .

I like that they included this, very much. One of the highligts of the film for me.

Yes indeed. Early in the first season - I've been re-watching lately with my girls, who one day asked "Who's Captain Kirk?" :lol: - there definitely was a running subplot where Uhura was attracted to and trying to hit on Spock. They soon dropped it, of course, but it's there in the beginning.

I saw it twice and will probably see a third time. Loved all of the characters and the references to the TV show. I like when Bones first encounters Spock. "I don't know who he is... but I like him!!"

I could overlook the implausibility of this or that. Seriously.... we're debating how physics doesn't support parachuting from outer space but it makes sense to be beamed everywhere? ^_^

As far as the inconsistencies with The Enterprise already being in service when Kirk takes command ( the TV series), remember this is now an alternate reality because of the time travel so anything is plausible.

The scene on Delta Vega with the monster/creature was kind of throw away, for me. It did make me chuckle a bit, however, because it was J. J. Abrams' wink/nod homage to his series "Lost".

Saw it at IMAX also, and when young boy Kirk almost drove the Corvette over the canyon, I seriously thought I was falling out of my seat and over the canyon wall. Loved that scene. :excited:

BTW, was there a reason that they were fighting with swords on that drill thing? Did the Romulans forget that they have energy weapons? Perhaps in this alternate timeline Romulans don't have anything more advanced than swords (but in that case, why would they have spaceships?)

And Vulcan apparently now has an M-class moon, a double-planet system really. And the moon is an (ahem) "ice-planet" while Vulcan is a hot desert planet. Must have a hell of a greenhouse effect going. Fascinating.

I'm starting to think about seeing this in the theater. It's been ages since I've seen Star Trek on the big screen -- either Star Trek III or IV. I've seen no more than one or two episodes of any of the follow-up series. I think maybe I was afraid that once it expanded so dramatically, I would lose so much time that I would regret getting into it. Or maybe it is I lived for five or so years without a TV and missed all the intermediate stuff and thought I would never catch up. Not sure. But this looks kind of interesting. Of course on the other hand I hate reboots in general, so it might be hard to get past that.

In any case, I just bought my son the coolest toy -- a rocket that is more or less in the Playskool line: Rocket. I'll find out later on if it ends up leading him down either the Star Wars or Star Trek path.

Went to see it the other day with the family. Not too impressed if I am honest. Liked the old series.Never seen any of the films. Got a little confused half way through (not hard for me) probably should have paid more attention I guess.

The idea of how it all started I liked but then got confused when the old spock appeared and then the new one ......

The questions for me were:

What happened to Kirks Mother

Who rang him up in the car?

Why all the product placement for nokia and budweiser etc..really got on my nerves

The whole handing of power over to Kirk after being made first officer etc etc...did not work for me

So not too good for me ...understand why trekkies will like it

AND spock (nimmoy) should not have been there...kirk should have read the final lines out...Space...the final frontier etc etc

Sorry..disapointed

Sue and I are going tonight, the last weekend that my Christmas gift card is valid at our preferred theater (new management told her that they wouldn't honor it after June 1). A little disappointed to realize that we can't afford the "Premier VIP" option, which includes free popcorn and drinks, and reserved seats in the balcony over the hoi polloi, where there are extra wide seats that convert into small sofas when you lift the arm rest. Really the only way I like to see movies anymore, but the new owners have really upped the price - seems ridiculous to pay twice as much for that option. $15 a ticket rather than $10 is OK, but $22 a piece is stupid. Ah well, this theater does so much business I am going to go there in an hour or so to get tickets ahead of time so we won't have to worry about a sell out. I'll let y'all know what I thought tomorrow.

Well, Sue and I both greatly enjoyed the flick, most especially the performances of the actors playing Bones and Scottie. The guy playing Bones really got the vocal rhythm down perfectly. Whoever that was playing Kirk didn't try to "do" Shatner and instead just portrayed him as you'd expect, particularly the skirt-chasing tendencies. But that's probably just as well as it would would have really upped the "camp" quotient. All in all I'd certainly be interested in seeing what they do with this group in the future.

As to some of the complaints, I thought young and old Spock was absolutely required once Nimoy signed on, didn't find it annoying at all. And I'd normally agree with Rachel about the futility of arguing about what happens in a sci-fi film, but while I have no problem with "red matter" or beaming onto a ship at "warp" speed because these are completely fantastical, I do have a problem with "parachuting" out of orbit and landing on a platform that looks like it might be 20 yards across. In the aftermath of Columbia, it was acknowledged that no safety system could be built that would allow shuttle astronauts to escape during atmospheric re-entry. So yeah, falling out of a spacecraft in orbit in nothing more than a parachuting suit and helmet, surviving freefall and atmospheric entry, and getting close enough to land on a platform 25 yards across was incredibly stupid. They could have just as easily sent them off in tiny little pods a la 2001 or the second Planet of the Apes to get them to the platform.

I didn't let it bother me enough to effect my enjoyment, but yeah, it was a stupid scene.

I totally agree Andy, they should have totally jettisoned the old, this new Spock/old Spock bullshit. . . it pissed me off.

I knew they'd find a way to get one of the old characters in there somehow, that's typical in Star Trek history. The old Spock/new Spock thing worked better in this film than the awful insertion of old Kirk into the Generations film. It could easily have been left out (and I wish it had been)...but at least it didn't derail the entire second act the way Generations did.

I'd like to see this in IMAX, that would be fun.

I totally agree Andy, they should have totally jettisoned the old, this new Spock/old Spock bullshit. . . it pissed me off.

I knew they'd find a way to get one of the old characters in there somehow, that's typical in Star Trek history. The old Spock/new Spock thing worked better in this film than the awful insertion of old Kirk into the Generations film. It could easily have been left out (and I wish it had been)...but at least it didn't derail the entire second act the way Generations did.

I'd like to see this in IMAX, that would be fun.

It ROCKED in IMAX!

Why all the product placement for nokia and budweiser etc..really got on my nerves

Yes, wasn't it remarkable that those companies are still around in the 23rd century?

I knew they'd find a way to get one of the old characters in there somehow, that's typical in Star Trek history. The old Spock/new Spock thing worked better in this film than the awful insertion of old Kirk into the Generations film.

Agreed.