new Star Trek Movie!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife bought a movie gift card for Christmas which we've yet to use (there are few movies I want to see and the ones she wants to see definitely don't interest me). So it turns out that with new management at this theater, we have to use the card by the end of the month. I mentioned Star Trek and she countered with the new Terminator film. Then I told her the review I saw in the Times which was very good and now she's more open to it. So we'll see ...

Does the soundtrack suck?

Suck what?

Sorry Chuck, I forgot you were from the midwest. ;) "Does it suck" roughly means "Is it bad."

Knew that. Thought it might suck pond scum. :rolleyes:

OTOH, out here in the midwest we have females willing to ....

Blow, is just a figure of speech. <_<

My older son saw an advance screening last night. He said that it was surprisingly entertaining while running, but after the movie was over he kept thinking of inconsistancies, annoyances, and stupid points. (Which reminds me of my reaction to Independence Day all those years ago.) He told me to for godsakes not see it. "You would freak out," he said.

My wife and daughter picked up tickets this evening for the 3pm show on the IMAX screen tomorrow. Can't wait!

Anybody read "Countdown," the four issue comic book prequel to the movie? I've only been able to find issues two and three, but it looks cool! The idea is that it explains Eric Bana's character and his motivation.

So yes, non-comic book readers. You can't just see the movie. You have to read the comic book to know what's REALLY going on. Data works well as Captain of the Enterprise, I thought...

I thought First Contact (#8 in the series) was pretty decent.

The problem I had with First Contact was that it broke with the established continuity of the show. The Borg had been profoundly changed during the last few seasons. They had been infected with the individuality of one Borg who had been captured by the crew of the Enterprise. The next time we saw them, they all had names and individual personalities. Moreover, their ship design had changed (no longer big cubes). In the film, no mention of this. Everything was suddenly back the way it was before: Cube ships, hive mind.

The new film also breaks with continuity, but it has a reason (this is a whole new universe).

I saw the new film yesterday, btw. BEST...STAR TREK...EVER!!!

George Lucas, you've just been OWNED!

I thought First Contact (#8 in the series) was pretty decent.

The problem I had with First Contact was that it broke with the established continuity of the show. The Borg had been profoundly changed during the last few seasons. They had been infected with the individuality of one Borg who had been captured by the crew of the Enterprise. The next time we saw them, they all had names and individual personalities. Moreover, their ship design had changed (no longer big cubes). In the film, no mention of this. Everything was suddenly back the way it was before: Cube ships, hive mind.

The new film also breaks with continuity, but it has a reason (this is a whole new universe).

Not only that, but Zefram Cochrane looked far older (and taller) than he should have. But I still think it was a good Trek movie, far better than most of the others in the series.

I haven't seen many of the other movies . . . not that much of a Star Trek fan I confess.

Drove up to Waco today because the weather was good and saw this movie there. (Drove to San Antonio yesterday and saw Ghosts of Girlfriends Past which I enjoyed.)

I'm down with J. J. and I think he did a good job. I'm glad to see it all reinvented. SPOILER: I hate that they brought in one of the original characters and hate the whole method they used to "make this all new again." Trite, silly, dumb. I wish they'd just introduced the new staff as they did and gone on with it. That's a big beef I have with this one. But I DID like the backstories of the characters, I did like the environment. I hope they take it somewhere new. (Enough of Klingons and Romulans etc. They can always get to those later.)

I was so proud of my 8-year old daughter who turned to me and said - SPOLIER WARNING - that the guy in the red spacesuit was going to die. Yep, that's my girl! :lol:

SPOILER WARNING -

I LOVED the way the film included lots and lots of references to the show. The Red Shirt dying, "Dammit man, I'm a doctor not a physicist!", "I'm givin' 'er all I got!", "Fascinating!", Kirk making out with a green chick, Pine's little Shatner impression on the word "Bones" at the end of the film...

It was a Trekker's dream come true!

And speaking of daughters...

My nine year old recognized Karl Urban, the actor who played McCoy, from his role as Eomer in the Lord of the Rings films! I didn't even recognize him!

Edited by Alexander

I was really skeptical about this project when I first heard of it, but everybody's glowing notices have gotten me intrigued--will probably go see it this weekend.

On another note, is anybody aware of any recordings that Nichelle Nichols (original Uhura) might have made w/Ellington during her time with him in the 1950s? I don't think there are any studio sides, but a programmer friend of mine was looking for something...I figure his best chance is to find an airshot somewhere.