new Star Trek Movie!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from seeing it. Very entertaining and lots of fun. Granted, there were a few spots where even I (with my minimal knowledge of science stuff) was thinking WTF? I don't want to mention anything now because it might spoil it for some.

Pine's little Shatner impression on the word "Bones" at the end of the film

I caught that too, it was funny.

All in all, :tup :tup

I thought it was very entertaining, a top notch summer movie.  I kind of expected them to figure out a way to bring in an original cast member (every Star Trek transition story is the same), this one felt like it was stitched Frankenstein style onto the screenplay.  However, since this is a Star Trek film I wasn't looking for supreme art, I just wanted to have a good time.  In that element this film more than delivers.  It was refreshing to have such a light take on the proceedings, Star Trek's main failing over the years is to take itself too seriously.

Simon Pegg as Scotty was BRILLIANT.

But occasionally taking itself too seriously was part of Trek's off-hand charm. :)

"Not looking for supreme art, just a good time" is why enjoyed Monsters vs Aliens so damn much. I may have to see this new Trek film. Maybe.

But one big beef just from the previews: They're building the Enterprise ON THE GROUND!! Stoooooo-pid!!!! Any moron knows that you build large starships in orbit, fer Chrise-sake!

But one big beef just from the previews: They're building the Enterprise ON THE GROUND!! Stoooooo-pid!!!! Any moron knows that you build large starships in orbit, fer Chrise-sake!

That reminds me of a criticism of the Dawn of the Dead remake from a few years ago. I quote: "Everyone knows that real zombies are slow-moving."

"But one big beef just from the previews: They're building the Enterprise ON THE GROUND!! Stoooooo-pid!!!! Any moron knows that you build large starships in orbit, fer Chrise-sake!"

Moreover, the Enterprise had been in service for quite some time before Kirk took over as Captain. There had been at least TWO Enterprise captains before Kirk: Robert April and Christopher Pike. The film had Pike (who was Captain in the original pilot, played by Jefferey "Jesus" Hunter) but no Number One (the unnamed first officer in the pilot, played by Majel Barrett). I was kind of hoping that they could have worked a little bit of the pilot (or at least the pilot's crew) into the film.

I was also a LITTLE disappointed that there was no Nurse Chapel in the film (which means that TWO of Mrs. Barrett-Roddenberry's characters didn't make the cut) and also no Yeoman Rand. Hopefully, this will be rectified in the next film.

I can't wait to see what the Klingons look like in this continuity! Will they look like the Original Series Klingons, or the movie Klingons.

BTW, I talked to a young girl tonight (a high schooler) who asked if I had liked the film. I said that I thought that it was the best Trek film yet, to which she replied: "I thought this was the only one!"

Then I felt OLD.

Moreover, the Enterprise had been in service for quite some time before Kirk took over as Captain. There had been at least TWO Enterprise captains before Kirk: Robert April and Christopher Pike. The film had Pike (who was Captain in the original pilot, played by Jefferey "Jesus" Hunter) but no Number One (the unnamed first officer in the pilot, played by Majel Barrett). I was kind of hoping that they could have worked a little bit of the pilot (or at least the pilot's crew) into the film.

I was also a LITTLE disappointed that there was no Nurse Chapel in the film (which means that TWO of Mrs. Barrett-Roddenberry's characters didn't make the cut) and also no Yeoman Rand. Hopefully, this will be rectified in the next film.

I can't wait to see what the Klingons look like in this continuity! Will they look like the Original Series Klingons, or the movie Klingons.

BTW, I talked to a young girl tonight (a high schooler) who asked if I had liked the film. I said that I thought that it was the best Trek film yet, to which she replied: "I thought this was the only one!"

Then I felt OLD.

So this kid isn't aware of any films made before, what, 2005? :blink:

Probably would have slowed things down to rope in every damn character from TOS, particularly April, who's mentioned in some of the technical books but didn't even appear in the series. (Though to get really geeky, they made good use of the character in an episode of the Animated Series.) I always really liked Number One in the first pilot, but then I liked Pike too. I think Jeffrey Hunter would have made a better captain than Shatner, frankly. Talk about a road not taken. Who could they get to play Number One now? Jennifer Connelly? Julia Stiles as Yoeman Rand?

Well, keep your eyes peeled for the Cheez-It boxes. They've got a Star Trek promotion for adults where for $10 you can get a uniform. It turns out you can indeed get yellow, blue or red. I promised my wife if I do get one, I won't wear it outside the house.

So no one noticed the music? I'm assuming it was dull enough to ignore, if not awful enough to call attention to itself.

It was OK, fairly typical dramatic orchestral stuff. There was some great low brass throughout (and especially during the end titles). I was glad they didn't use the previous themes- although they did use a version of the original TV theme over the closing credits.

Then I felt OLD.

Probably would have slowed things down to rope in every damn character from TOS, particularly April, who's mentioned in some of the technical books but didn't even appear in the series. (Though to get really geeky, they made good use of the character in an episode of the Animated Series.) I always really liked Number One in the first pilot, but then I liked Pike too. I think Jeffrey Hunter would have made a better captain than Shatner, frankly. Talk about a road not taken. Who could they get to play Number One now? Jennifer Connelly? Julia Stiles as Yoeman Rand?

I actually think both of those would have been great casting choices! Stiles would make a great Rand!

This marks me as an even bigger geek than most, but there is a comic book series out right now called "Star Trek: Crew" that details the life of Number One from the pilot episode from her graduating from the academy up to her joining the crew of the Enterprise. Three issues have come out so far and they are excellent!

200px-Star_Trek_Crew_1.jpg

startrekcrew2.JPG

startrekcrew3.jpg

Then I felt OLD.

I actually think both of those would have been great casting choices! Stiles would make a great Rand!

This marks me as an even bigger geek than most, but there is a comic book series out right now called "Star Trek: Crew" that details the life of Number One from the pilot episode from her graduating from the academy up to her joining the crew of the Enterprise. Three issues have come out so far and they are excellent!

Sounds intriguing. My older son went through a phase of collecting various Star Trek comic books from about the age of 7 to 10, and I must admit, some of the stories were surprisingly good.

I'm:

1057281852_ssiantextG.jpg

You know you want to be a Vulcan, but you know deep down you're some other crazy alien.

I don't even know what a Cardassian is (I guess it is Deep Space 9), but this does sound scarily accurate (at least the snob part).

I guess I need to take this quiz next:

http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/1552632/wh...ove-affair-with

;)

Edited by ejp626

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I saw this last weekend. It certainly doesn't let you stop and think, which is a good thing, considering the absurdities you're expected to swallow.

"Red matter"? WTF? Huh? What is that? Sounds like something right out of the Mort Weisinger-era Superman comic. Quantonium made more sense.

Red matter is detailed in "Star Trek: Countdown" I believe.

"Star Trek" was often scientifically unbelievable, so good

science is probably not what one should expect when watching this.

I plan on seeing it again - probably this weekend - something

practically unheard of for me since I generally see only about

2 or 3 films during a particularly good year.

The Star Trek movie looks like Shakespeare compared to the new Terminator flick.

This is precisely why I've told my wife that I think I'd prefer that we use my expiring gift card for the Star Trek movie and not the new Terminator flick, after reading a few reviews and perusing the rotten tomato website.