Use3D

Soul Stream

So what if the guy's a little direct with his PM's, and a little light on the emoticon usage. That's just the way some people are.

Exactly. Just as some people think an offer to sell a CD for $15.00 or entertain trade offers somehow means that the seller would accept a ten dollar bill as trade. I mean come on, this has really gone on far too long, and I've stayed out of it up to here, but I don't see how anyone can compare a curt PM to Jazzhound's public howling. That was an embarrassment.

People need to chill out here, and all this 'Undergroundagent' bashing should stop.

Hmm... Rooster, I'm unclear who you're referring to, which makes me a little uncomfortable. Anyway, I want to go ahead and clarify about my post. My intent was not to single out undergroundagent, or to "bash" him. I'm actually more on his side of the argument on this particular incident, but at the same time that doesn't mean he's totally blameless (and YES, I know he apologized already, which was cool- I was just suggesting ways to avoid things like this happening in the first place). I probably should have made it more clear, but my comments were not just directed at undergoundagent, but universal. I was trying to suggest some positive ideas, and add a little levity.

"So what if the guy's a little direct with his PM's, and a little light on the emoticon usage. That's just the way some people are".

I disagree in general, although the key factor would be what "a little direct" involved (again, without focusing just on this specific incident). As for smilies, I don't mean to go on a crusade, BUT... I know some people hate 'em, but it's a simple fact that to refrain from using them can lead to problems (if the person being sarcastic or "direct" doesn't consider or care about the potential reaction). The problems can sometimes be easily cleared up (and sometimes not), but why not avoid them in the first place. "Just the way some people are"... true, but it's harder to understand and interact with that type of person via a computer.

Sorry for any confusion. I didn't intend to choose sides, but I can see how it might have looked that way since I focused on one person's actions.

Hmm... Rooster, I'm unclear who you're referring to, which makes me a little uncomfortable.

No one in particular. This is one of those threads where I haven't paid much attention to who said what, because I just read the thread and absorbed the things being said. I certainly didn't mean to bash anyone in particular.

I just wanted to say that Undergroundagent is a decent enough guy, and that anyone who reads this thread (or the other one), shouldn't think otherwise.

Just wanted to add that this message board is one the most civil I've ever seen or participated in, even compared to other Jazz message boards. It's almost TOO nice. I come here mainly to listen and learn, though.

This place is almost like an alternate universe compared to some of the message boards I've seen. :tup

Ok, Continue... :w

So what if the guy's a little direct with his PM's, and a little light on the emoticon usage.  That's just the way some people are.

Exactly. Just as some people think an offer to sell a CD for $15.00 or entertain trade offers somehow means that the seller would accept a ten dollar bill as trade. I mean come on, this has really gone on far too long, and I've stayed out of it up to here, but I don't see how anyone can compare a curt PM to Jazzhound's public howling. That was an embarrassment.

the dudes post invited offers, get it pal?

( I am just being curt.) :winky:

and direct.

Recently, I was selling an item on Audiogon.

I was asking $1200 OBO.

A guy offered $700. I e-mailed back, "NUTS" and laughed . I felt like this guy was an ass and wasting my time. All reasonable offers got a nice response.

He e-mailed back saying I was a jerk and that my response was no way to do business. I did not reply. Why waste my time.

This guy may have thought his offer was not insulting.

Now, what if he had posted, "do not do business with Wolff..."? I imagine the thread would have looked a little like this one. LMAO

As for smilies, I don't mean to go on a crusade, BUT... I know some people hate 'em, but it's a simple fact that to refrain from using them can lead to problems (if the person being sarcastic or "direct" doesn't consider or care about the potential reaction). The problems can sometimes be easily cleared up (and sometimes not), but why not avoid them in the first place. "Just the way some people are"... true, but it's harder to understand and interact with that type of person via a computer.

I'm sure that everyone here can figure out that I'm a big user of emoticons. :wub:

I think it is critical to use them in discussion as how else would people know that I'm joking?

I find myself missing emoticons when I'm typing a normal email.