Why did Riverside change the original artwork on 2 early Monk LPs?

dsockel

Thought I'd pass on a bit of information from another forum (http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=152823)

"I received e-mail from Orrin Keepnews today (!) in which he explained the rationale for changing the artwork on the two albums in question. Here is what he wrote:

Nick Phillips has passed on to me your questions about the repackaging of the first two Riverside Monk albums. Since I usually enjoy turning back in mind to the time period you're asking about, I am happy to respond.

Our basic intention in both cases was the same: a couple of years after those albums were initially issued, there had been a dramatic upsurge in Thelonious's acceptance by the jazz public -- and also in the general acceptance of Riverside as a leading jazz label. These two factors led us to make some upgrading moves designed to further improve our image and increase sales. Those earliest Monk albums belonged to our initial period as a struggling, underfinanced newcomer; both seemed likely to benefit from more aggressive marketing. So we replaced the original Monk/Ellington cover (an at-the-piano photo taken at the Van Gelder Studio) with a full-color reproduction of a French Impressionist painting. Our new cover for the second album was even more adventurous -- our newly-hired staff publicist had come up with the idea of creating an imitation postage stamp featuring an antiqued profile of Thelonious. I don't think we did any other up-graded repackaging, but the general idea of switching from black-and-white to full color on just about all albums had begun for us with the multiple-Monk photograph used on our third Monk album, Brilliant Corners.

I hope this recap answers your questions; if not, feel free to make use of my email address to ask more.

Orrin Keepnews"

Thanks for posting that!

My copy of Thelonious In Action had a cartoon drawing of Monk flying in the air (as I recall with a cape, etc.) like Superman. I believe that it was issued after Riverside went under, before ABC bought the catalogue.

It was stolen when shipped UPS, and I've never seen another copy of it.

The first copy of Brilliant Corners I owned was on the British London American label where a single image of Monk, taken from the multiple-image Riverside version, was superimposed on a colour photo of a nightime city street corner, with blurred taillights and traffic lights. It suffered the same fate as G S Russell's album - stolen (clearly, there WAS a "dramatic upsurge in Thelonious's acceptance by the jazz public") and I replaced it with the familiar multi-image Riverside version.

• 2 weeks later...

with a full-color reproduction of a French Impressionist painting.

I don't think we did any other up-graded repackaging, but the general idea of switching from black-and-white to full color on just about all albums had begun for us with the multiple-Monk photograph used on our third Monk album, Brilliant Corners.

"French impressionist" : not exactly. Henri Rousseau aka Le douanier :die_mahlzeit_1008590.jpg "le repas du lion"

Other riverside upgrade exist, for example : Kelly Blue

There are a couple of CDs that had quick cover changes. Dave Brubeck's Moscow Night originally had a daytime photo of Moscow, but when the label learned of Chris Brubeck's striking night time photo of the pianist, they switched to it. Brubeck told me only the first couple of hundred copies had the older photo.

The Dick Hyman Trio: Cheek to Cheek featured a sketch of the pianist by Rossie Newson, but Hyman didn't like it and it was removed. Other than promo copies and possibly a few early sales, it is fairly rare. Mat Domber of Arbors shared this information with me.