Sam Butera, former Louis Prima saxophonist has died

J.A.W.

I came to a late appreciation of Butera, but once I heard it, I heard it.

It is what it is, and equally important, it ain't what it ain't.

My favorite solo of his w/Prima is "When You're Smiling". Incredibly sophisticated musical use of a pretty simple vocabulary.

The guy was light years ahead of his cultural "peers" in doing what it was that he did, probably not least because of his deeply imbued New Orleans roots. His solos frequently & abruptly shift between New Orleans clarinet vocabulary & New Orleans R&B vocabulary yet remain organically New Orleans, period. Same thing about that whole Prima/Smith organization, at it's best, anyway.

Sure he was an "entertainer". In the end, aren't we all?

Sam Butera could play. Sam Butera had soul. And most of all, Sam Butera played with a love of and for life - his and all with whom he shared it. Hard to ask for more than that.

You shouldn'ta gone to the airport.

Saw him live at a festival in the U.K. in the late 90s, and what a show! I am glad I queued up afterwards to get his signature on the covers of a couple of 50s Capitol albums I had brought along.

R.I.P.

As for his roots and what JSngry said about his playing, check out a sample of this on the Little Jimmy Scott CD (Specialty SPCD 2170-2) which has Sam Butera as a special guest with the Paul Gayten band on two lengthy tracks recorded at a live jam session in 1951. He sure cooks up some heat on "Dueling Tenors".

Here's his Washington Post obit:

(If there was ever someone whose notice should be called an obit rather than an obituary, it was Sam Butera!)

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-...0,3281584.story

...Prima was the most influential figure in his life.

"The whole thing is entertainment, man," Butera told a reporter. "I learned that from him. You can get up on stage, do all the singing and talking you want, but if you don't know how to laugh and get happy with the people, it's nothing."

• 1 month later...