New Art Pepper coming out soon.

mikelz777

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there anyone else out there who dislikes the name "Widow's Taste" as much as I do. I love Art Pepper, and I commend Laurie for doing what she can to keep his legacy alive, but, boy, that is one lousy name for a record label. I had to get that off my chest. Now I feel better.

Up over and out.

The press release refers to a download from CDBABY of the album 'Blues for The Fisherman' that will be available shortly. I was lucky enough to buy a copy of this when it was first released by Mole Jazz and it really is a terrific album from a session he did live at Ronnie Scott's Club in June, 1980. What a shame it isn't getting a proper re-release on CD.

I just got this press release via email. It looks like we'll be seeing a new 3-CD set of "Unreleased Art" on June 23rd. The first three releases were all excellent so I'm looking forward to this one.

New 3-CD set of "Unreleased Art"

Disc 1 has Art with Warne Marsh!!! :excited:

But then - this is probably originally from Contemporary, and has already been released(?). :huh:

Q

Is there anyone else out there who dislikes the name "Widow's Taste" as much as I do. I love Art Pepper, and I commend Laurie for doing what she can to keep his legacy alive, but, boy, that is one lousy name for a record label. I had to get that off my chest. Now I feel better.

Up over and out.

No, you're not alone there in your dislike of the name, but I'll raise you one, I don't really like Laurie herself, at least from the way she writes about herself from her time with Pepper. I always get a bit of a Yoko Ono-ish vibe about her. Maybe it's just me.

I just got this press release via email. It looks like we'll be seeing a new 3-CD set of "Unreleased Art" on June 23rd. The first three releases were all excellent so I'm looking forward to this one.

But then - this is probably originally from Contemporary, and has already been released(?). :huh:

Q

Yes this peaked my interested also, but like you, I presume it will be the stuff from here;

41ZK84T371L._SS500_.jpg

and here;

41F7VWEGYWL._SS500_.jpg

but maybe even from here;

51GNahF3WKL._SS500_.jpg

I've got the first 3 and you are right... They are excellent... :excited: :excited:

As much as I like Cdbaby and will continue purchasing there... In general their prices are high (the previous Pepper releases were fine).... I wonder what the cost of this set will be??? My guess is $40-50... In any case... I'm there the day it comes out...

Up over and out.

You're not alone, I very much dislike the name and would have advised against it. While I want to believe that these releases are being put out there to preserve Art's legacy and to expose a lot of Art's fantastic performances that were never released, the name gives the impression, whether true or not, that it's only about money and milking what is now a "commodity". Having gotten that off my chest as well, it's really the only fault I can find with these releases. I think they've been great and I'll continue to support the cause and buy them.

Edited by mikelz777

Up over and out.

You're not alone, I very much dislike the name and would have advised against it. While I want to believe that these releases are being put out there to preserve Art's legacy and to expose a lot of Art's fantastic performances that were never released, the name gives the impression, whether true or not, that it's only about money and milking what is now a "commodity".

Yea, I don't know why she wasn't doing this kind of thing earlier, when there may have been even more of a market for them, back in the late 90's early 2000's. The other thing I don't like is that they are live releases from an era of his career that is hardly starved of live material as it is.

Perhaps it's a double entendre - as in, she has good "taste".

Personally, I like Laurie & what she's doing.

Yeah, I kinda like the humor in it actually. Face it, no matter what she named it there are always going to be some who view the whole enterprise as money-grabbing etc. (not singling out anyone here, just saying she's damned how she do it any matter how she do it pretty much.) I finally got around to ordering Vol 3 as this announcement reminded me about the past release. The samples of Vol 3 are outstanding, can't wait for it to arrive. And this 3 disc set looks interesting, so thanks for the notice.

More information:

DISC 1. PURE ART 1951 - 1960

.. with the Stan Kenton Orchestra

...with Jack Sheldon, Jack Montrose, Warne Marsh, Russ Freeman, Hampton Hawes, Ben Tucker, Gary Frommer, Leroy Vinnegar, Shelly Manne, Claude Williamson, Carl Perkins, Monte Budwig, Chuck Flores, etc.

DISC 2. HARD ART 1960 - 1968

Never before released: recorded at Contemporary Studios

With Frank Strazzeri, Bill Goodwin, Hersh Hamel,

Plus Art's stunning performance of "Chelsea Bridge" with the Buddy Rich big band.

DISC 3. CONSUMMATE ART 1974 - 1982

Mostly unreleased live material:

With Jack Sheldon, Milcho Leviev, Stanley Cowell, Russ Freeman, Carl Burnett, Ben Riley, George Mraz, Bob Magnusson, Smith Dobson, Jim Nichols, Brad Bilhorn

• 2 weeks later...

I like Laurie too. I wish there were more widows in the position to promote their husband's music.

JL, I don't get your reference to double entendre. I get that the releases selected by Laurie reflect her taste in Art's recordings. What other meaning are you thinking of? The phrase double entendre often refers to sexual imagery. Is there some sexual pun that I am too naive to pick up on? (Very possible, I know!)

I like Laurie too. I wish there were more widows in the position to promote their husband's music.

JL, I don't get your reference to double entendre. I get that the releases selected by Laurie reflect her taste in Art's recordings. What other meaning are you thinking of? The phrase double entendre often refers to sexual imagery. Is there some sexual pun that I am too naive to pick up on? (Very possible, I know!)

Yes, yes, it is a non-sexual double entendre. It means I want the money that the pirates are getting (my taste) and thereby put them out of business (fat chance). And it means this is the music (and the man) I love and think is well worth putting out as quality cds.

As for the money, really folks, are you under the impression that a jazz label is a cash cow?! As jazz fans, you must know that a jazz label - especially these days - is a labor of love. When I set out to do this I only hoped to break even. If I were paid minimum wage for my time, I would have failed miserably at doing that. If I work for free & only include costs of mastering, manufacture, and shipping, I'm in the black, but if I had to live on what I earn from Widow's Taste, I'd be living on the streets.

Whenever I think it's time to stop doing this, I look at the emails from impassioned fans and that excites me. Or I listen to some of the unreleased music and, an impassioned fan, myself, I feel as if it just has to be heard.

The press release refers to a download from CDBABY of the album 'Blues for The Fisherman' that will be available shortly. I was lucky enough to buy a copy of this when it was first released by Mole Jazz and it really is a terrific album from a session he did live at Ronnie Scott's Club in June, 1980. What a shame it isn't getting a proper re-release on CD.

It WILL be re-released on LPs by Pure Pleasure Records in England.

Q

Yes. It's the same track as on the Contemporary release. There is some stuff recorded at Donte's in L.A. when Warne sat in, but the quality is pretty ghastly.

I've got the first 3 and you are right... They are excellent... :excited: :excited:

As much as I like Cdbaby and will continue purchasing there... In general their prices are high (the previous Pepper releases were fine).... I wonder what the cost of this set will be??? My guess is $40-50... In any case... I'm there the day it comes out...

The price at CDBaby will be 20$. The price at Amazon will be higher, but there are vendors who buy in bulk from CD baby and can afford to charge less at Amazon. Even undercutting CDBaby sometimes.