Will Friedwald's record collection

Must have been the same ones that welcomed your arrogant & obnoxious appearance on the forum.

The folks here are quick to criticize, but heaven forbid someone points it out . . .

No, no one appreciates someone showing up just to shoot off his mouth.

the nice thing about donations like this one is that they keep important collections together where they can be utilized properly, instead of dispersed all over the place into the hands of private collectors, who my or may not allow access -

and by the way, donation or not, I know Will and, like his father, he is a terrific guy -

and the tax deduction might be nice.

Assuming he itemizes...I wonder if he valued each one at a "fair market price", which would be fun to debate with an IRS auditor? Imagine the agent griping, "I don't care that a similar LP sold on ebay a week earlier for $300!"

Typically collections are sold off by those liquidating an estate, many times carelessly, unless carefully instructed by the collector in his or her will. Many libraries turn down donations of jazz LP collections for lack of space. Even the Institute For Jazz Studies only keeps what it doesn't have, everything else is sold off, even if it is an original issue if they have a later edition.

and the tax deduction might be nice.

Assuming he itemizes...

Would promos have a legal, taxable value in the first place? Theoretically they can't be bought or sold, though I know in practice that happens daily.

Assuming a good chunk of his albums are promos that were given to him, they may be of little taxable value (?).

I don't really care either way, but that got me wondering.

...it's coming to a new music museum/performance art center about 6 blocks from my house; look forward to getting a peek at it. I ride my bike by this place every other day.

btw, 14000 is a lots of lps but many folks have far more...not that it's a pissing contest. I would doubt this is the largest private collection in NYC...who knows?

m

Edited by sheldonm