Ed McMahon has died

Ed McMahon dies at 86

Ed McMahon, the longtime pitchman and Johnny Carson sidekick who's "Heeeeeeerre's Johnny!" became a part of the vernacular, has died. He was 86. McMahon passed away peacefully at the Ronald Reagan/UCLA Medical Center shortly after midnight, his publicist said today. Though he later hosted a variety of shows, McMahon's biggest fame came alongside Carson on "The Tonight Show.

story

Hey-oooo

Too many precious and funny memories to even get to, but my favorite stories are: (and let's face it, McMahon and Carson are white and rice)

On an anniversary show they were getting really misty-eyed, and Carson was trying to keep his macho composure looking at Ed and blathering something about what he meant. Finally, he looked at the camera, said 'to hell with it', came to the couch, kissed him. The audience broke up.

Reading an Alpo commercial he looked away from the copy and to the camera and ad-libbed that he ate it himself every day and to 'look at me, I look pretty damn good, right?'

The story is that McMahon, nervous before the first show, especially after being kept on the hook as to whether he even had the gig, sais to Carson 'what are we gonna do out there?'. Carson replied 'we're gonna try to entertain the hell out of those people'.

I think my (our?) world changed forever when the definitive Tonight Show (the pretenders that followed-----let's not even, please?) went out to pasture. Also, that was the end of live studio big bands. Different world now, but the death of McMahon and the gush of memories is showing us how different.

Edited by fasstrack

I went to two tappings of The Tonight Show with Leno. It was nice, and he was nice, but my gosh, he is just a terrible interviewer, deadly boring. The band wasn't all that happening either. As Fasstrack says: "Different world now", and definitely a different entertainment world now.

I went to two tappings of The Tonight Show with Leno. It was nice, and he was nice, but my gosh, he is just a terrible interviewer, deadly boring.

Leno has always defined "bland" to me - both his monologue and his interviewing skills. The funniest things on his show were the newspaper headlines and the Jaywalking skits, which weren't about him.

edit - RIP, Ed!

Edited by Aggie87

I went to two tappings of The Tonight Show with Leno. It was nice, and he was nice, but my gosh, he is just a terrible interviewer, deadly boring.

Leno has always defined "bland" to me - both his monologue and his interviewing skills. The funniest things on his show were the newspaper headlines and the Jaywalking skits, which weren't about him.

edit - RIP, Ed!

Not only were those bits not about him, they were unoriginal. Jaywalking in particular was a direct ripoff of something Howard Stern had done years before.

RIP, Ed.

And another celebrity that I already thought was dead bites the dust...

Don't feel bad; I didn't think he was dead, but I was thinking "Johnny will be next"...

As far as I'm concerned, when Johnny and Ed left, the Tonight Show was cancelled. I haven't watched a full show since, and rarely even made it through the opening. Talk about a couple of masters!

And another celebrity that I already thought was dead bites the dust...

Don't feel bad; I didn't think he was dead, but I was thinking "Johnny will be next"...

As far as I'm concerned, when Johnny and Ed left, the Tonight Show was cancelled. I haven't watched a full show since, and rarely even made it through the opening. Talk about a couple of masters!

You are CORRECT sir!

I agree. And don't even get me started on Conan. I just don't understand his appeal AT ALL. These kids and their comedians..

I agree. And don't even get me started on Conan. I just don't understand his appeal AT ALL. These kids and their comedians..

Actually, I rather like Conan.

I do too, although I liked him better with Andy Richter. On the other hand, I haven't watched him much at all since Richter left. Hmmm...

Then you'll be pleased to know that Andy is on the Tonight Show. He's the announcer now, as well as being Conan's foil and skit partner again.