Actress Mollie Sugden ("Are You Being Served?") has died

Ouch. Most of my familiarity with Ms. Sugden comes from Served, of course, which has to be one of the finest examples of great comedic actors elevating stale material in the history of television. I'll bet she was a great person, too; and if anyone has evidence against that, I'm just going to ignore it!

Ouch. Most of my familiarity with Ms. Sugden comes from Served, of course, which has to be one of the finest examples of great comedic actors elevating stale material in the history of television. I'll bet she was a great person, too; and if anyone has evidence against that, I'm just going to ignore it!

Not many from that comedy are still with us. Of the main characters Wendy Richard (Miss Brahms), Mollie Sugden (Mrs Slocombe) and John Inman (Mr Humphries) are now all gone.

Edited by J.A.W.

Yes, she was wonderful.

She showed up here in Dallas a few times

to promote our local PBS affiliate and she would tell

the funniest stories. Also, there's a wonderful special

called something like "The Women (or Queens?) of British Comedy"

that's a wonderful tribute as well as a program from about 6 or 7 years ago

that was a tribute just to her - both worth seeking out if your local PBS station

doesn't play them in the next few weeks.

Yes, she was wonderful.

She showed up here in Dallas a few times

to promote our local PBS affiliate and she would tell

the funniest stories. Also, there's a wonderful special

called something like "The Women (or Queens?) of British Comedy"

that's a wonderful tribute as well as a program from about 6 or 7 years ago

that was a tribute just to her - both worth seeking out if your local PBS station

doesn't play them in the next few weeks.

I remember seeing her on a fund raising telethon on PBS about 15 years ago - with John Inman. This was at a time when the 'Served' series was already long gone from UK TV screens - yet in North America it was a cult. Almost like a parallel universe really - same thing happened with Benny Hill.

Lots of choking on cups of tea in the UK over the years whever she mentioned her pussy ! RIP.

Edited by sidewinder

I remember seeing her on a fund raising telethon on PBS about 15 years ago - with John Inman. This was at a time when the 'Served' series was already long gone from UK TV screens - yet in North America it was a cult. Almost like a parallel universe really - same thing happened with Benny Hill.

Lots of choking on cups of tea in the UK over the years whever she mentioned her pussy ! RIP.

:g

Inman showed up here in Dallas for fund raising and hosted a public dinner that just happened to fall on my birthday.

Our Dallas station has the distinction of being the first in the nation to broadcast British comedies.

Back in '74, they began with Monty Python and kept adding others as the years went by.

They kinda got stuck on the same old ones during the Bush years because of the cutbacks on funding,

but they began promising new ones just last month. I remember that they tried to show this really funny show from New Zealand,

but they got all kinds of negative feedback from people who wanted only British comedies. ( :blink: )

I'm sure that everyone on "Served" was very talented, but I've always thought that show was the worst low-brow-crap masquerading as middle-brow-crap that I've ever seen.
I don't think that they were looking at presenting anything much above lowbrow at all.

Very frequent stabs at highbrow mentality which according to an interview I saw with Lloyd and Croft

is right where they wanted it. Actually, the classes of ridiculous self-importance amongst the characters

with their various faux pas puts it precisely in that area of social satire that made it work so well.

This comment reminds me of my brother-in-law who said that he hated Rowan Atkinson

because "he acts so stupid" - well DUH!

:lol: No shit. Basically, Alexander, as lowbrow as it was, it went over your head...

Oh, I knew it was lowbrow crap. Never had any question about that. The "masquerading as middlebrow" part came from the fact that it was shown on PBS in the US and was therefore watched by tons of people who think that British TV is - by definition - more "cultural" than American TV (personally, I don't watch ANY TV these days). The kind of people who disdained "Rosanne" (which actually had an almost identical cultural POV) in favor of "Served."

Okay, gotcha; I wasn't thinking about the 'PBS factor'. But I still think you're missing the point of the show if you think the POV to Roseanne is anything like Served. Roseanne featured a family who knew they were poor and basically fucked by life. What made Served funny was the fact that the characters didn't realize this, and although they were wage slaves living out their lives, still had delusions that they were somehow part of the upper crust. Except for Lucas of course; the show lost it's edge when Lucas left, in my opinion.

Edited by Jazzmoose

:lol: No shit. Basically, Alexander, as lowbrow as it was, it went over your head...

Oh, I knew it was lowbrow crap. Never had any question about that. The "masquerading as middlebrow" part came from the fact that it was shown on PBS in the US and was therefore watched by tons of people who think that British TV is - by definition - more "cultural" than American TV (personally, I don't watch ANY TV these days). The kind of people who disdained "Rosanne" (which actually had an almost identical cultural POV) in favor of "Served."

Wow!

Man, did you buy a wide enough brush to spread your assumptions?

So, you're telling us (coming from a guy who doesn't "watch ANY TV these days"),

that all people who watch a British comedy on PBS are, by your description, snobs

that define all (or even most) British programming as refined, cultural erudition?

...and you're trying to tell us that "Rosanne" - the show that was to represent the problems

of the American working class - is somehow culturally similar with "Are You Being Served?"

You really don't "watch ANY TV these days" do you?

Wow!

Man, did you buy a wide enough brush to spread your assumptions?

So, you're telling us (coming from a guy who doesn't "watch ANY TV these days"),

that all people who watch a British comedy on PBS are, by your description, snobs

that define all (or even most) British programming as refined, cultural erudition?

...and you're trying to tell us that "Rosanne" - the show that was to represent the problems

of the American working class - is somehow culturally similar with "Are You Being Served?"

You really don't "watch ANY TV these days" do you?

Sigh. Do I really need to point out that "Rosanne" served TWO different viewerships? There were the blue collar workers to saw the show as representative of their day to day lives, and then there was a hip, urban viewership who watched the show in an ironic manner. Just like "Are You Being Served."

Sigh. Do I really need to point out that "Rosanne" served TWO different viewerships? There were the blue collar workers to saw the show as representative of their day to day lives, and then there was a hip, urban viewership who watched the show in an ironic manner. Just like "Are You Being Served."

You know, if you'd grow up and get over this "I'm so much hipper than these dumb yokels" schtick, you'd get along in life a lot better. I hate to break it too you, but the vast majority of those blue collar workers got the joke,just as the vast majority of people who watch wrestling really know it's fake. You're not as 'above the masses' as you think you are, you're just young.

You know, if you'd grow up and get over this "I'm so much hipper than these dumb yokels" schtick, you'd get along in life a lot better. I hate to break it too you, but the vast majority of those blue collar workers got the joke,just as the vast majority of people who watch wrestling really know it's fake. You're not as 'above the masses' as you think you are, you're just young.

Wait...

Wrestling is FAKE?! :blink: