Happy Independence Day!

Happy Independence Day everyone in the USA!

In the past I have celebrated the day by opening up a Beach Boys album, the quintessential American rock 'n' roll band. But I've run out of them, so today I opened up disc 2 of a Sun Records compilation I found a couple of months ago. I figure that you can't get much more American than Sun Records!

Are you kidding, with all the noise out there? I got home from work as fast as I could, worrying about the new kitten scared to death...she slept through the whole thing!

The banging doesn't seem to phase my critters either. I've had a few that it did though.

• 2 years later...

Happy Independence day 2012, everyone!

Pete, Canadians celebrate their being bumped up from colonial to dominion status in the British Empire on July 1, 1867, Dominion Day. The 1967 World's Fair commemorated the centennial.

In recent years the fellows who changed the flag also renamed the holiday Canada Day. So far, the red-blooded Canadians haven't pushed back, but we'll see.

Edited by GA Russell

Pete, Canadians celebrate their being bumped up from colonial to dominion status in the British Empire on July 1, 1867, Dominion Day. The 1967 World's Fair commemorated the centennial.

In recent years the fellows who changed the flag also renamed the holiday Canada Day. So far, the red-blooded Canadians haven't pushed back, but we'll see.

Thanks, but that's not what I asked. :)

I swear that every house in the entire area is setting of fireworks this evening, it's been a constant barrage for the past couple hours with no signs of letting up. I'm just hoping none come sailing through the window.

One just blew up so close to the ground it set off tons of car alarms, a total cacophony.

I can't wait for this holiday to be over.

I swear that every house in the entire area is setting of fireworks this evening, it's been a constant barrage for the past couple hours with no signs of letting up. I'm just hoping none come sailing through the window.

One just blew up so close to the ground it set off tons of car alarms, a total cacophony.

I can't wait for this holiday to be over.

Right there with you, Shawn.

Add the obligatory gunfire and you have my town.

We have trees all around us and a shake roof. I cringe every time a bottle rocket or illegal fireworks explode around us.

Edited by GoodSpeak