Cigar corner

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll attest! :tup

Ashton rolls some very nice cigars, IMHO.

Are you looking for suggestions or where to venture from here? I have, oh, a fair amount of cigar smoking experience to share [i'll have one cigar a week on average]. :D

I had a Perdomo La Tradicion over the weekend, but that may be a bit too strong for a person just starting out.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I once smoked an actual Cuban - no, not at the Bay of Pigs, I'm talking about a real Cuban cigar, about 20 years ago.

It actually wasn't bad, but due to my asthma and my wife, my first was my last (referring to both the cigar and the wife) -

If you go to Mexico, Cuban cigars are prominently for sale at the airport. After that, you are on your own.

I'm not a smoker, by any means. I've never in my entire life puffed a cigarette. I have, however, smoked a few cigars over the years, and can enjoy them (I like the fact that you don't inhale cigar smoke, although that doesn't make it safe. Lip cancer is a bitch). My father-in-law was a cigar smoker for years, so my wife actually enjoys the smell of cigar smoke. I light up once every few months, at most.

I have, of course, smoked other substances, but never in cigarette form...

Never smoked a pipe, but I wouldn't mind trying it, just to see what all the fuss is about...

I once smoked an actual Cuban - no, not at the Bay of Pigs, I'm talking about a real Cuban cigar, about 20 years ago.

It actually wasn't bad, but due to my asthma and my wife, my first was my last (referring to both the cigar and the wife) -

If you go to Mexico, Cuban cigars are prominently for sale at the airport. After that, you are on your own.

I'd be real careful with that.

My buddy bought a few [what he thought were Cohibas] and they were not only a knock-off but had "dry rot" for want of a better term. Went up like a matchstick. :huh:

I will say this, though...I have been fortunate to have smoked real Cubans [Romeo y Juliet and a Cohiba Robusto] that my same buddy bought when in France and then England. Both were an excellent smoke, but they are so strong I had to put them down after a while then finish them later.

BTW, for those just starting out, never [and I mean never] have a cigar on an empty stomach. Always after a full meal or at least some sort of a nosh. Trust me.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I'd be real careful with that.

My buddy bought a few [what he thought were Cohibas] and they were not only a knock-off but had "dry rot" for want of a better term. Went up like a matchstick. :huh:

I will say this, though...I have been fortunate to have smoked real Cubans [Romeo y Juliet and a Cohiba Robusto] that my same buddy bought when in France and then England. Both were an excellent smoke, but they are so strong I had to put them down after a while then finish them later.

Smoked a real cuban cigar when I was in Ireland last year. It was good, but not great and I wouldn't feel like I'd be missing out on something if I never smoked one again, but I'm still glad I did. It was rolled very well and it lasted a long time. I do recall it being on the stronger side, but I can't recall the name brand. I had to take a picture of me smoking it for my friends as proof that I actually did smoke one. :cool:

Cubans are readily available here, but all the advice I've gotten has been that it's better to start mild and work one's way toward stronger cigars. Apparently Cubans tend to be strong, or at least don't cover the mildest end, so I'll be patient. I've seen that fine cigars, like fine whiskies, are expensive; that plus the fact that I don't want to stink up the living room with cigar smoke (and nor does my wife want me to stink up the living room with cigar smoke) means that I will not be a daily smoker by any means. No porch, no balcony, no back yard, so to smoke I'll need fine weather. However, to get me through the winter there are a couple of fumoirs in Paris, bars or restaurants with a physically separate space where one can smoke a cheroot (no service inside, to respect the anti-smoking law, which is based on protecting employees from second-hand smoke).

Today after lunch I will go out with a coworker and smoke my second cigar, a Domaine Avo robusto.

Where is the pipe smoking section of the forum?

I used to puff on a pipe, but there is just something special about the classic blue smoke, earthy aroma and creamy finish of a well made stogie.

My wife hates them, so I am a fellow porch dweller.

I'll stick with my pipes, out of wallet defense, if nothing else. I see the Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 Maduros I used to smoke are now around $110 a box (of 25) online these days; for that price I can get twelve to thirteen tins of quality pipe tobacco, which would probably last me three months.

(Of course, as a typical pipester, when I brag about the cost of my smoking, I conveniently neglect to mention the buying of pipes to begin with...)

Edited by Jazzmoose

But seriously folks, here's a useful purchase for the novice cigar smoker:

14516742.JPG

Here are some things I've learned along the way:

1) Don't bite off the end of a cigar. Buy a cutter or a punch.

2) You'll tear the wrapper by removing the band too early. Peel it, or better yet, wait until it loosens toward the end of your smoke.

3) Lighting your stick with a matchbook match or a fluid lighter can alter the taste. Use wooden matches or a torch lighter.

4) Relighting is fine during a single smoking session. Saving half of a smoked cigar for later is a less satisfying experience.

5) Relax and savor your cigar. Smoke too fast and it will burn too hot, causing tears in the wrapper and a harsher taste.

6) Machines? Are you serious? Never settle for anything less than a hand-rolled cigar.

7) Even a great cigar will taste/burn poorly if it's not stored properly. Follow the 70/70 rule (70 degrees Fahrenheit/70% relative humidity).

8) Don't assume the cigar store adheres to #6. Are the display cases closed? What humidification system do they use? Does the hygrometer read "70/70"?

9) Pair your smoke with a suitable beverage. Avoid fruity or ice-cold drinks. Coffee, espresso, root beer, or ice tea are good non-alcoholic choices.

10) When you're done, let the cigar burn out. Crushing it in an ashtray creates more stink.

Edited by sonnymax

I smoke cigars. I was in the business for a while. Let me make a couple of recommendations.

It's all a matter of taste, not science. Disregard people who think that their opinion is dogma.

Disregard people who think that every Cuban cigar is better than every non-Cuban cigar. That's like saying that every French wine is better than every wine from somewhere else.

Since the cigar boom of ten years ago, many cigar smokers are the kind of people who judge something by its price tag. Disregard them.

Many old Cuban brand names are used in the US with non-Cuban cigars, so don't be confused. I can't think of any such US cigars that are of the highest quality (to my taste).

One of my favorites is made in Miami - La Tradicion Cubana, by a guy named Louis Sanchez. If you are ever on Calle Ocho in Little Havana, look him up. He used to have a website to place orders. Probably still does, I haven't checked in a long time.

Another favorite of mine down the block from Lou's was La Luna Cigars by a guy named Gael de Courtivran. I'm not sure that he is still in business.

A third Miami manufacturer that is still going strong is El Titan de Bronze. I liked some of theirs, and didn't care much for others.

Finally, there is a Honduran brand called Puros Indios which has its US headquarters in Miami. I visited their factory in Honduras in 2000. I loved them, but again, it's been a while since I had one, and the best cigars change over time depending on what leaf is available.

In regard to Cuban cigars, my favorite is the Bolivar. The most popular (and I think the most expensive) is the Montecristo No. 2, but I never cared for it.

By the way, everywhere in the world, the primary component of the price of a cigar is the tax.

Cubans are readily available here, but all the advice I've gotten has been that it's better to start mild and work one's way toward stronger cigars. Apparently Cubans tend to be strong, or at least don't cover the mildest end, so I'll be patient. I've seen that fine cigars, like fine whiskies, are expensive; that plus the fact that I don't want to stink up the living room with cigar smoke (and nor does my wife want me to stink up the living room with cigar smoke) means that I will not be a daily smoker by any means. No porch, no balcony, no back yard, so to smoke I'll need fine weather. However, to get me through the winter there are a couple of fumoirs in Paris, bars or restaurants with a physically separate space where one can smoke a cheroot (no service inside, to respect the anti-smoking law, which is based on protecting employees from second-hand smoke).

Today after lunch I will go out with a coworker and smoke my second cigar, a Domaine Avo robusto.

If you have the cash, try a Davidoff. Very mild and the aroma is exquisit. :tup