Roy Eldridge

I was just checking out the new Roy Eldridge set on the Mosaic web-site. In the cover photo on the box it appears that Roy is playing the valves with his left hand. I wasn't aware of this and will have to check out some other photos I have of Roy. Or on the other hand (so to speak) has Mosaic reversed the image of this picture? I know this happens sometimes in liner notes and quite frankly, it always bugs me. You often see people's hands reversed on the saxophone, for example.

If Mosaic has done this to Roy, I am very surprised, especially on a cover shot. Isn't Mosaic supposed to be about accuracy in all details?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or on the other hand (so to speak) has Mosaic reversed  the image of this picture?  I know this happens sometimes in liner notes and quite frankly, it always bugs me. You often see people's hands reversed on the saxophone, for example.

I didn't notice the position of his hands till you pointed it out. The first thing I thought, while reading your post, somebody reversed the image. Or, maybe Eldridge played the trumpet in this manner?

MD-222Web.jpg

Edited by wesbed

Every photo I have of Eldridge shows hiim right handed.... perhaps they are all reversed.. Mosaic is always accurate.. :D

It could be a rare image of him deliberately playing left handed, after all there's guys like Clark Terry who played chase choruses with themselves, holding a trumpet in one hand and a flugel horn in the other.

Which side did Little Jazz part his hair on?

The photo has been screwed up. Somebody tell Mosaic - I don't know if there's any chance this could be fixed before it's too late.

If Mosaic does ship some sets that have the picture reversed and then subsequently corrects their mistake, we may see some of the the "defective" sets pop up on e-bay, all the more collectable of course because they're rare. "Roy Eldridge left-handed Mosaic", coming to an e-bay auction near you! B)

If I remember well (don't have this with me right now), they had the same problem on the Mosaic brochure that heralded the release of the Concert Jazz Band box. They had the Mulligan photo printed one way on the brochure frontpage while the album cover had the same Mulligan photo in reverse.

Chris and P.D. - - -  you both have my admiration for posting two droll, sarcastic posts.

I love sarcasm.

I'm sorry my observation/inquiry caused some sarcastic replies. I assure you my original posting was sincere. I still think Mosaic has made a significant mistake here which is not worthy of Mosaic quality and accuracy.

I'm not surprised the reversed image doesn't bother Chris. He favors anything that comes from the left! ;)

BTW, Browine is right about the Mulligan set. The cover of brochure 50 shows has the picture "right" while the image is reversed on the box cover and the CD's. Strange, but not so significant, since it's mainly a head shot and only a bit of the baritone.

I am a right-handed trombonist and when I see pictures of Slide Hampton playing left-handed it really makes my head spin. Of course, in that case, I know that what I'm seeing is "right."

That ain't no mouthpiece! That's just a ring that inserts into the lead pipe. My guess is that it's some sort of warmup, buzzing, or other embrochure-aiding device, like today's B.E.R.P. Sorry, I'm not a brass player, but my son plays trumpet, and his private teachers have always had him working w/something along these lines. Seems good odds that something like the B.E.R.P. existed long ago and far away, and this thing seems to prove it. Something to buzz into to get the chops loose and the blood flowing w/o the resistance of the horn. It sure isn't a mouthpiece.

Let's talk about the music on this one. I've collected a few of the things here: Diz and Roy, the Talk of the Town record, which is a producer's "answer" to Jonah Jones success, perhaps, and the Dale's Wail single anthology of this stuff, which is incredible: it's been a long time coming for people to have the Oscar Peterson/Roy Eldridge material in toto, or Kansas, or Oz, lefty, righty or staight-ahead...

That's a VERY interesting mouthpiece. I noticed it right away and was curious as were others, obviously.

Can anyone find out for sure what this thing is? I'm sure Jim's correct about the intent of the mouthpiece. However, it's an odd thing to see. Is this something trumpeters of Roy's generation used quite often? It's fallen out of use I'd say, but wondered if (Trumpet Guy where are you!) a trumpeter could tell us more about it....

Bingo -

http://pages.prodigy.net/cervantez4/

It's a visualizer, used to study the embouchure.

Mike

*** Which now makes me wonder - was this photo taken in a mirror, with Eldridge looking at his own embouchure????? So it would be a NON-reversed photo of a mirror image!!!!

Anyone got photographer Burt Goldblatt's email address?

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Bingo -

http://pages.prodigy.net/cervantez4/

It's a visualizer, used to study the embouchure.

Mike

*** Which now makes me wonder - was this photo taken in a mirror, with Eldridge looking at his own embouchure????? So it would be a NON-reversed photo of a mirror image!!!!

Anyone got photographer Burt Goldblatt's email address?

You know, that's an odd thing to put on the cover of a mosaic. Roy checking out his embrochure.... :wacko: Cool photo, but strange.

I emailed Mosaic twice regarding this. Once, to inquire whether the photo was reversed (and if so would it be too late to correct the problem) and the second time to pass along Michael Fitzgerald's information and hypothesis.

The answer I got after the second email was that yes, "the photo is reversed" and that "Roy is using some type of glass mouthpiece". I received no answer to my question as to whether it was too late to correct the problem of the phot being reversed.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but Mosaic's last major release - The Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band - also has a reversed photograph on its cover. You sort of expect this kind of thing from graphic designers who aren't particularly interested in music or musicians. But Mosaic? Geez!

Edited by Don Brown

Don't know if anyone else has noticed but Mosaic's last major release - The Gerry Mulligan Concert Jazz Band - also has a reversed photograph on its cover. You sort of expect this kind of thing from graphic designers who aren't particularly interested in music or musicians. But Mosaic? Geez!

Edited by Don Brown