How the H*ll Did I Get So Much...?

BeBop

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys were probably snickering when I commented once that I had 18 Dexter Gordon albums and I thought that was a lot!

For a relative newbie it might be. I have about that many Lee Morgan CDs and they hardly get any more airplay. Hard bop has given way to cool/west coast jazz, at least for the last few months.

You guys were probably snickering when I commented once that I had 18 Dexter Gordon albums and I thought that was a lot!

For a relative newbie it might be. I have about that many Lee Morgan CDs and they hardly get any more airplay. Hard bop has given way to cool/west coast jazz, at least for the last few months.

Not laughing here. I have three.

With 18 you've got more than me: I've got 8 with Dexter and 12 with Lee.

These days one can buy a boxed set on an exploratory basis, and if you don't like it, voila!, boy are you overrepresented on that artist. I'm slogging through the Miles box "Seven Steps." While I love a lot of Miles, I find I intensely dislike this music - it seems an immense waste of time. So that's what, 6, 7 albums in that one box alone? And I haven't even started the Quintet box yet. Joe Henderson's another one: if I don't like his tone or his approach, why did I buy the Milestone box? (Other than, it was such a bargain...). I barely made it through half of that one.

In my eMusic fixation, especially with the "crack packs," I loaded up on a lot of artists. It was a great opportunity (I have 30 Art Pepper albums, and love every one of them). But Joe Pass...boy, he begins to sound the same after awhile. 26 albums is waaaaay too many. (To be fair, almost all of these are Pablos...he probably had more fire earlier on.)

Even Tatum. The Pablo Solo Masterpieces box is probably about 4 discs too many.

But that's the great thing about jazz. I can own this stuff for years, and one day, that artist will really hit me.

These days one can buy a boxed set on an exploratory basis, and if you don't like it, voila!, boy are you overrepresented on that artist. I'm slogging through the Miles box "Seven Steps." While I love a lot of Miles, I find I intensely dislike this music - it seems an immense waste of time. So that's what, 6, 7 albums in that one box alone? And I haven't even started the Quintet box yet. Joe Henderson's another one: if I don't like his tone or his approach, why did I buy the Milestone box? (Other than, it was such a bargain...). I barely made it through half of that one.

In my eMusic fixation, especially with the "crack packs," I loaded up on a lot of artists. It was a great opportunity (I have 30 Art Pepper albums, and love every one of them). But Joe Pass...boy, he begins to sound the same after awhile. 26 albums is waaaaay too many. (To be fair, almost all of these are Pablos...he probably had more fire earlier on.)

Even Tatum. The Pablo Solo Masterpieces box is probably about 4 discs too many.

But that's the great thing about jazz. I can own this stuff for years, and one day, that artist will really hit me.

Hey, everyone's opinion is going to differ. Me, I love the Seven Steps box- I really enjoy the George Coleman/Sam Rivers editions of the Quintet.

Matter of fact, I love all three of the boxes you mentioned (Miles, Tatum, JoeHen)! Different strokes I guess! :)

EDIT; I will add, though, that I listen to all those boxes in segments. I really can't do them all straight through. I need a little variety to keep the ears fresh.

Edited by Free For All

Think I have about everything tenor saxophonist Walt Weiskopf has recorded as a leader, plus some things where he's a sideman. I do like his playing, but looking back that's a good bit over the top comparatively speaking. It's also an example of what Jim was talking about a while back on this thread -- you dig a guy, you buy his next album (which comes out maybe a year and a half later, is in much the same vein but shows variation/growth), then you buy his next, his next, his next ... and whoops, ten or more years later, there you are. Don't regret it, but it's something my heirs may puzzle over.

Hm, what's OVER-represented?

The number of CDs in your collection exceeds what your enjoyment of that artist would warrant.

Oh well, us poooor people don't have that problem :)

Now, if you ask who's UNDER-represented in my collection...

It's be the same list except Grant Green wouldn't be in there :D

MG

MG, I didn't see Grant Green on your list. I surmised that he's been on fewer than 40 releases.

Yes - 34 (or 35 if you count Dave Bailey's "Reaching out", which always seems to have GG's name on it).

MG

I think you must be missing some, MG. I have (if I counted correctly) 40, and there are at least a few that I don't have.

Edited by Jim R

Hm, what's OVER-represented?

The number of CDs in your collection exceeds what your enjoyment of that artist would warrant.

Oh well, us poooor people don't have that problem :)

Now, if you ask who's UNDER-represented in my collection...

It's be the same list except Grant Green wouldn't be in there :D

MG

MG, I didn't see Grant Green on your list. I surmised that he's been on fewer than 40 releases.

Yes - 34 (or 35 if you count Dave Bailey's "Reaching out", which always seems to have GG's name on it).

MG

I think you must be missing some, MG. I have (if I counted correctly) 40, and there are at least a few that I don't have.

Here's the list. I don't buy compilations. Well, not of Grant Green. What's the point? And I don't count duplicates of LPs and CDs for example; so "Remembering"="Standards" etc.

FIRST SESSION

GRANTS FIRST STAND

REACHIN' OUT

GREEN STREET

SUNDAY MORNING

GRANTSTAND

REMEMBERING

GOODEN'S CORNER

NIGERIA

OLEO

BORN TO BE BLUE

THE LATIN BIT

GOIN' WEST

FEELING THE SPIRIT

BLUES FOR LOU

AM I BLUE

IDLE MOMENTS

MATADOR

SOLID

TALKIN' ABOUT

STREET OF DREAMS

HIS MAJESTY KING FUNK

I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND

IRON CITY

CARRYIN' ON

GREEN IS BEAUTIFUL

ALIVE

LIVE AT CLUB MOZAMBIQUE

VISIONS

SHADES OF GREEN

THE FINAL COMEDOWN

LIVE AT THE LIGHTHOUSE

THE MAIN ATTRACTION

EASY

Actually 34, not 35 - discovered screw-up in database :)

MG

I guess I have too much hardbop in general - though by now it's not that big a chunk of my collection as it used to be... I assume it's somewhere in the 20-25% area.

Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean... I have almost all of their classic Blue Note albums, and while I don't think it would be a huge loss to be without several of them, I never actually thought of getting rid of any of them (hey, and I do like "Rajah"!)

I'm not listing Mobley, as he's a favourite and hence I'd not consider him over-represented.

I guess Stitt and Ammons are also sort of over-represented, but I'll still get Stitt's Mosaic box, as I just like him a lot (though I'd not consider him a top favourite). Similar with Ammons - I've got some of the early stuff and most of the Prestige albums... I could live happily with three or four of them but there are days when I want to hear Idrees Sulieman so I grab the respective jam album... and there are other days when I feel like hearing Ammons with organs... or with Stitt (with or without electric gimmicks...)

Other artists I have a lot of include: Coltrane, Miles, Monk, Mingus (most of their recordings), Rollins, Basie, Lester Young, Bill Evans, Art Pepper, Billie Holiday... but I'd call all of them favourites.

And I'd sure have many more albums by Booker Little, Sonny Clark, Clifford Brown, Eric Dolphy, Ike Quebec, Albert Ayler... if they had been around longer and had had more time to record their music!

I guess Stitt and Ammons are also sort of over-represented, but I'll still get Stitt's Mosaic box, as I just like him a lot

The Stitt box is very nice but 9 discs is way to many , I can never tell which disc I'm listening to as most have pretty much the same formula. I won't be selling it though :rolleyes:

I think the problem is if you like music, any type of music, it's very easy to go from enjoying a particular artist to almost OCD levels of having to get everything they were ever on. It's probably easiest to slip into it with Jazz though. I have started to realise this recently myself and come to the conclusion I have too much of everything!!! As much as I love listening to music if I went at it 8 hours a day for the rest of my life i'm still going to be neglecting some of the stuff I have. But in general I would say 1950's Hard Bop, a lot of it.

MG, sorry, I think I got my wires crossed. Your list appears complete. You really have every sideman appearance also? That's dedication... I have a lot of them, but never kept the ones I didn't care as much for.

I can't offhand think of any of his sideman appearances that I don't like a lot. Well, perhaps "Search for the new land"...

MG

Oh, and "I'm tryin' to get home" - the arrangements are quite a turn off - much more so than "A new perspective".

MG

MG, sorry, I think I got my wires crossed. Your list appears complete. You really have every sideman appearance also? That's dedication... I have a lot of them, but never kept the ones I didn't care as much for.

I can't offhand think of any of his sideman appearances that I don't like a lot. Well, perhaps "Search for the new land"...

MG

Oh, and "I'm tryin' to get home" - the arrangements are quite a turn off - much more so than "A new perspective".

MG

I like "Search For The New Land", but I pretty much agree about "I'm Tryin' To Get Home".

I was never attracted to the playing of Don Wilkerson, George Braith, and probably one or two others I'm forgetting right now, so I dumped those even if Grant's playing was appealing to me. Also, I never could never really stomach much boogaloo, so there are a few of those discs I got rid of some years ago. Then there are a few of Grant's later dates as a leader ("Easy", for example), which I knew I was never going to listen to again once I heard them. So, being a GG completeist was never in the cards for me.

I've got WAYYYYYY too much of some other artists, though (Dexter, Chet, Kenny Burrell...). When you get up to 80, 90, 100 recordings, it's pretty easy to realize at some point that you never really needed every one of them.

Edited by Jim R

At one time, I was picking up virtually everything by Art Blakey, including live boots, and somehow ended up with 77 albums. I like Blakey a lot, but seriously doubt that I will ever get around to listening to all of these albums again in this lifetime. :)

I keep thinking of ways to increase my income to maintain the same % of music expense. I've gone through similar periods where I buy more than I can consume but I've been good about spreading the artists around. That said, I have way to much:

Wynton Marsalis

Same here. I've got his first.

wot? Search for the New Land would be among the few Mogie discs I'd never throw out! It's wonderful, one of his finest!

Of the more hard boppish ones I guess I'd pick Procrastinator over all or most of the others... even over The Sidewinder, possibly, though that one is wonderful too, of course!

wot? Search for the New Land would be among the few Mogie discs I'd never throw out! It's wonderful, one of his finest!

Agreed, Lee's masterpiece in my opinion!

No doubt. And I'm not going to chuck it out, of course. I just like it less than I like most other stuff with GG. Good to play when you need something like that. Modern jazz is not terribly important in my collection, though.

MG