Upcoming Dave Douglas CD... A Single Sky

tranemonk

I tend to zero in on his quintet records...

I didn't know what to expect on this one... but really like it....

I, too, tend to gravitate toward the smaller-group stuff that he was doing in the mid- to late '90s and earlier this decade.

I listened to and watched the youtube clip of 'The Presidents' from this new release and enjoyed it. Interested enough to probably check out the whole album at some point. I think of big band music as dynamic, dramatic, emphatic, with a lot of horsepower and someone able to harness it. I didn't really get that sense listening to 'Presidents.' And in all likelihood that wasn't his intent -- just my own bias when it comes to listening to larger bands.

Loved the tuba though!

funny, as I was thinking about posting, as I never really liked him much, but was hesitant as I met him once and did not like the guy (very full of himself, a bit of an "artiste") and was worried as I was uncertain whether I was confusing my personal feelings with my critical judgment - but then I read Chuck's comment, which gave me courage - as I have always been completely unmoved by Douglas' music and playing -

Edited by AllenLowe

funny, as I was thinking about posting, as I never really liked him much, but was hesitant as I met him once and did not like the guy (very full of himself, a bit of an "artiste") and was worried as I was uncertain whether I was confusing my personal feelings with my critical judgment - but then I read Chuck's comment, which gave me courage - as I have always been completely unmoved by Douglas' music and playing -

Your opinion doesn't count as you probably think "One album a week" David Murray is a genius.

I've always found his music intriguing and frequently very exciting. On the four occasions I've seen him, three have been thrilling concerts (including the quintet earlier this year).

I love the way he constantly changes contexts.

And I've always been impressed but his down to earth approach in interviews - none of the grand artiste nonsense. There was a marvellous one a few years back after he'd come in for some flack for straying from the 'true path' of the tradition where he had a real go at those critics who imposed their own 'fantasies' on music and then passed them off as critical evaluation.

Look forward to hearing this.

My one disappointment - I know he had an Indian influenced band operating about ten years back. That never seems to have made it onto disc.

it's him with HDR Bigband... Outstanding...!!!! One of his best... I bought it from his website... and although it's not out for a few weeks... they sent me the download version...

Very nice...

check it out...

http://www.greenleafmusic.com/store/productdetail.php?p=147

Thanks much for the tip--I'll check it out, tranemonk.

I would definitely encourage you to check out his quintet stuff... For example I bought the download only 12 set DD Quintet Live at the Jazz Standard.. and it was excellent... I think you might like some of his stuff...

I tend to zero in on his quintet records...

I didn't know what to expect on this one... but really like it....

May not be to your liking, but check out his playing on the Masada records.

Masada is the only context in which I've seen him live, I have a handful of his own sides but they're not left much of an imprint on me. On the other hand i've never heard any thing I dislike.

I would definitely encourage you to check out his quintet stuff... For example I bought the download only 12 set DD Quintet Live at the Jazz Standard.. and it was excellent... I think you might like some of his stuff...

There's also a 2 disc version of this Jazz Standard material that may be a bit more realistic for the non-fanatical fan. All the songs on it had never appeared previously on any studio releases. I really enjoy this one.

I just ordered A Single Sky from the website- I chose the CD w/sheet music option because I might use it as a teaching/study resource. It also came with an immediate download, so I already have it on my iPod. Jim McNeeley fronts the Frankfurt Radio Band, and several of the tunes are arranged by him- I'm a big fan of McNeeley's ensemble writing- seeing his participation on the project was really what sold it for me.

I like what I've heard so far! :tup

Good man!

I just ordered A Single Sky from the website- I chose the CD w/sheet music option because I might use it as a teaching/study resource. It also came with an immediate download, so I already have it on my iPod. Jim McNeeley fronts the Frankfurt Radio Band, and several of the tunes are arranged by him- I'm a big fan of McNeeley's ensemble writing- seeing his participation on the project was really what sold it for me.

I like what I've heard so far! :tup