Bert Kaempfert Goes All Jungle Band And "Stuff", Sorta

JSngry

The whole thing, melody & all.

Oh well, I haven't heard any Duke Ellington versions of that tune from way back, as far as I can remember - and I think I would.

And I agree that it's "too close for comfort", but...that's not really my point.

My point is that, plagiarized or not, WTF is a Bert Kaempfert record doing sounding like this?

Er... being a B side? A lot of freedom in B sides.

MG

A sho-nuff rip of 'Creole Love Call', probably a one-off to fill the B-side of the 1961 #1 hit, 'Wonderland By Night'.

Maybe Decca wanted to make DAMN SURE the DJs wouldn't flip it and play any 'Stuff'.

Also, radio station Music Directors were known to drag nails across grooves or affix file folder labels over the 'wrong' tracks.

True ... but Kaempfert sure wasn't hip enough to call it "Cretin Love Call".

I don't like Kaempfert's music and could never be bothered enough to get any of his records into my collection at all but following his TV documentary and listening to some of his music afterwards it just has to be said he did have guts in his musical convictions and in what he aspired for in "popular ORCHESTRA music" (note the difference between "Orchestra music" and jazz/r&b/rock etc "orchestra" music). Not my cuppa tea at all but still ...

So there's no more need to put him down than there is to put down contemporary bandleaders (AND jazz sellouts to boot) such as Horst Jankowski and his silly "Black Forest Sleigh Ride" nonsense (that still seems to dim the minds of befuddled U.S. ebay sellers who regularly list his MOR pop platters as "jazz"). Unfathomable over here ...

Not to speak of the even more blatantly commercial U.S. MOR, easy listening, background music orchestras that plagued the music scene of the 50s, 60s etc. that were REALLY, REALLY, REALLY awful stylewise and yet are often being touted as being oh so great in giving hungry jazzmen ample bread to eat when they were called in to put their craft (NOT their inspiration ;)) at the orchestra leaders' disposal there.

Edited by Big Beat Steve