A&M Horizon Label

Head Man

Does anyone know if there are any plans to re-issue the albums that came out on A&M's Horizon label in the 1970s? I know a few of them by Charlie Haden and Don Cherry have already been released but there are still releases like 'The People's Republic, by The Revolutionary Ensemble' and a couple by David Liebman and Richie Beirach that I don't think have ever seen the light of day. It would be nice to have them available again.

I have 10 CDs on the A & M label :

Brubeck & Desmond - 1975 - The Duets

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - 25th Anniversary Reunion

Jim Hall - Commitment

Mel Lewis And Friends

Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Quartet

Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra - New Life

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - One For All

Don Cherry - Art Deco

Gerry Mulligan - Lonesome Boulevard

The Paris All-Stars - Homage To Charlie Parker

I have 10 CDs on the A & M label :

Brubeck & Desmond - 1975 - The Duets

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - 25th Anniversary Reunion

Jim Hall - Commitment

Mel Lewis And Friends

Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Quartet

Thad Jones / Mel Lewis Jazz Orchestra - New Life

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - One For All

Don Cherry - Art Deco

Gerry Mulligan - Lonesome Boulevard

The Paris All-Stars - Homage To Charlie Parker

Did you miss "Paul Desmond Quartet -- Live" at Bourbon St. in Toronto, Peter? Great stuff, with Ed Bickert, Don Thompson and Jerry Fuller. (Verve/A&M 314 543 501-2)

....and "Jim Hall Live!", also at Toronto's Bourbon St., with Don Thompson and Terry Clarke. This one got the actual A&M Horizon label, as A&M SP-705, though there's also a Verve logo on the disc, and another catalog number: 440 065 428-2. Something I like about this duo-pack release is that it includes the original liner notes in almost full LP size, as a 9.5" loose-sheet square inserted in the sleeve.

Jim Hall's Commitment was one of my earliest jazz records and I still love it. No idea why it has never had a reissue where Jim Hall Live has.

A very different album - where the 'Live' is no frills, 'Commitment' deliberately uses different musicians/textures from track to track to create a varied but highly 'produced' tapestry. Maybe it was judged a hodge-podge. But it hooked me. 'Lament for a Fallen Matador' (the Albinoni Adagio) with Art Farmer is gorgeous, very much in the vein of his 'Concerto' version of Rodriguez.

Jim Hall's Commitment was one of my earliest jazz records and I still love it. No idea why it has never had a reissue where Jim Hall Live has.

A very different album - where the 'Live' is no frills, 'Commitment' deliberately uses different musicians/textures from track to track to create a varied but highly 'produced' tapestry. Maybe it was judged a hodge-podge. But it hooked me. 'Lament for a Fallen Matador' (the Albinoni Adagio) with Art Farmer is gorgeous, very much in the vein of his 'Concerto' version of Rodriguez.

Bev, doesn't Peter Friedman's post #2 say that he does have it on CD? And his follow-up says it was on Horizon itself, not another label. Perhaps Peter can give some catalog numbers for that issue...

Bev, doesn't Peter Friedman's post #2 say that he does have it on CD? And his follow-up says it was on Horizon itself, not another label. Perhaps Peter can give some catalog numbers for that issue...

Jim Hall - Commitment - A & M CD 0811

There is also a Billy Hart LP -- ENHANCE -- that was issued on CD. Nice date: Dewey Redman, Marvin “Hannibal” Peterson, Eddie Henderson, Oliver Lake, Don Pullen, Buster Williams, and Dave Holland in various groupings.

Here's the correct spelling and the details:

BillyHartEnchance.jpg

1.Diff Customs (Lake) 5:44

2.Shadow Dance (Holland) 7:43

3.Layla-Joy (Hart) 6:55

4.Corner Culture (Redman) 2:47

5.Rahsaan is Beatiful (Peterson) 4:31

6.Pharoah (Pullen) 9:31

7.Hymn for the Old Year (Lake) 8:48

Billy Hart (dr,perc); Oliver Lake (as,ss,fl); Dewey Redman (ts)(not on 5.); Hannibal Marvin Peterson (tp,koto); Eddie Henderson (tp,flh,el flh)(1,3,5); Don Pullen (p, el p), Buster Williams (b)(1,3.5); Dave Holland(b)(2,4,6,7); Michael Thabo Carvin (perc)(5)

February 24 and March 3, 1977, Generation Sound, NYC

CD: A&M CD-0818

I remember the spelling because he ask me if I knew what it meant when I helped him set up his kit for a concert.

I trick question I guess!

ok. Hope he's a multi-tasker.

:rofl:

I got less enthusiastic about "Enchance" as time went by... it was discussed here a few times (I think first it was in the "funny rat", a search for "enchance" w/results as posts display option might bring it up).

It doesn't keep the promise made by the line up.

The story has it that Quincy Jones played The Revolutionary Ensemble album to Herb Albert a t a dinner party and asked him something like "Is this the type of shit you're putting your money into?"...and that was the end of Horizon. John Snyder would soon thereafter pick up with Artists House, but not for all that long.

There were also two albums on Horizon by some pop-fusion band that Jimmy Owens was in...can't remember the name or the music.

I still enjoy the Billy Hart.