Most recorded jazz musician of all-time?

televiper

The Lord Discography index lists 1,198 sessions for Milt Hinton, 1,098 for Ron Carter, 988 for Hank Jones.

The others do not qualify (Plas Johnson 267, Bernard Purdie 321...)

In his autobiography he complains that the didn't get to play jazz often enough!

Well, in a fifty-something year career, that's not a lot of sessions; something like one every couple of weeks. The real measure is live gigs.

MG

I think it's either Plas Johnson, Cornell Dupree or Bernard Purdie. Probably Plas. I think Purdie's 7,000 recording sessions may be an exaggeration. Plas claims over 5,000. Idris Muhammad must be up there somewhere, too.

Then there are all those guys like Bernie Glow, Al Klink and Romeo Penque, who seemed to work on every record ever made in Hollywood. 'Course, they may not count as jazz musicians :)

MG

But Al Klink was capable sax solist in his own style, and sure in jazz "idiom".

I think it's either Plas Johnson, Cornell Dupree or Bernard Purdie. Probably Plas. I think Purdie's 7,000 recording sessions may be an exaggeration. Plas claims over 5,000. Idris Muhammad must be up there somewhere, too.

Then there are all those guys like Bernie Glow, Al Klink and Romeo Penque, who seemed to work on every record ever made in Hollywood. 'Course, they may not count as jazz musicians :)

MG

But Al Klink was capable sax solist in his own style, and sure in jazz "idiom".

I'm sure you're right. Never heard him solo.

MG

SONNY STITT................

Yes! The first name that came to my mind when I saw this thread. He must be up there.

Don't think so - Sonny probably made more albums as a leader or co-leader than most anyone else (possible exception Blakey) but comparatively little as a sideman. And it's sideman appearances that put a musician on top.

MG

Yes! The first name that came to my mind when I saw this thread. He must be up there.

Don't think so - Sonny probably made more albums as a leader or co-leader than most anyone else (possible exception Blakey) but comparatively little as a sideman. And it's sideman appearances that put a musician on top.

MG

i could imagine chet baker having more leader albums than stitt?

wonder who the horn player with most jazz sideman sessions is...

I guess someone like Plas Johnson (see MG's post above), or some session player (a few are mentioned there, I'd add Jerome Richardson).

i was thinking of "true jazz sideman gigs with some exposure", something like being the second horn player in a quintet, or as a player in a big band but only if there is a solo here and there... still Plas Johnson?... my first thought was Wayne Shorter but i'm sure others have many more...

That would rule out big band players? Some of them were around for a long time, Benny Bailey for instance... not sure if he actually did record that much, but he was a longtime Clarke-Boland Big Band member and was often a featured soloist (so the true jazz credentials are there, at least).

Used to be, back in the day, but then he died, the international/independent label thing opened way up, Lee Konitz stayed alive, etc...

MG

So in the category of most albums as leader or co-leader, Stitt is right up there. Pretty good in my book. (And sneaky of Lee Konitz to just stay alive like that.)

• 2 weeks later...