Forthcoming ECM releases

Guy Berger

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I read somewhere that the Billy Hart quartet with Mark Turner, Ethan Iverson and I think Ben Street recorded a new release that will be released in ECM sometime in early 2012. Looking forward to that!

"All Our Reasons", due for release March 16, along with an Anders Jormin title.

There'll be a giveaway for All Our Reasons at AAJ later this month or early next month.

Saltash Bells - John Surman

Sounds like Surman in ultra-folksy mode; which suits me.

yes indeed. Suspect it's another in the series of solos. Seems a while since the last, Absalom Dawe? or has there been naother (too lazy to check the ECM site)

He crossed most of Cornwall in 'The Road to St. Ives'. Now he's made his way back up to Saltash. What's next? "By Train to Exeter"? "A Cycle Ride to Glastonbury".

I'll enjoy the views.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Upcoming ECMs:

Year of the Snake - Fly (Mark Turner, Larry Grenadier, Jeff Ballard)

Wisteria - Joey Baron, Steve Swallow, Steve Kuhn

Songs from the Alder Thicket - Gunilla Suessmann, Ketil Bjornstad

I'm excited about all four of these. Two years ago Ketil Bjornstad's album Remembrance was my favorite new album of the year.

Listening to the new Andy Sheppard makes me think of Surman in some ways. There's that pastoral feel to the album. Benita (always enjoyed his contributions to Palatino) and Rochford are superb (isn't Rochford always? seemingly in any musical setting as far as i've witnessed) and this is the only Sheppard I've really got on with since his duet with Tippett (a long time ago). Even now I find is lyricism a touch obvious and in need of some grit.

Just back from the trio's gig which stuck fairly resolutely to the recording as far as i could tell - again I was looking for some bite but I can hardly expect them to play what I want :) . Fine musicianship.

No alder thickets encountered in London tonight.....

• 1 month later...

Billy Hart

All Our Reasons

Mark Turner tenor saxophone

Ben Street double bass

Ethan Iverson piano

Billy Hart drums

I read somewhere that the Billy Hart quartet with Mark Turner, Ethan Iverson and I think Ben Street recorded a new release that will be released in ECM sometime in early 2012. Looking forward to that!

There'll be a giveaway for All Our Reasons at AAJ later this month or early next month.

Billy Hart's All Our Reasons surprises me. I thought that it would be fairly mainstream, or as mainstream as ECM gets. But instead it is quite ECM-ish. I'll need to listen to it more to decide how much I like it.

Billy Hart

All Our Reasons

Mark Turner tenor saxophone

Ben Street double bass

Ethan Iverson piano

Billy Hart drums

Billy Hart's All Our Reasons surprises me. I thought that it would be fairly mainstream, or as mainstream as ECM gets. But instead it is quite ECM-ish. I'll need to listen to it more to decide how much I like it.

I wasn't a fan of the HighNote release; just didn't move me:

514kW6DLPrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Upcoming ECMs:

The last one is a double. I know - 2CDs - how exciting!

As well as this lot, coming thrills include:

John Abercrombie Quartet, Within a Song

Louis Sclavis Atlas Trio, Sources

Arild Andersen, Celebration

If Billy Hart has gone 'ECM-ish' and Andy Sheppard is now in John Surman pastoral mode, what hope for these three ... ;)

Upcoming ECMs:

The last one is a double. I know - 2CDs - how exciting!

As well as this lot, coming thrills include:

John Abercrombie Quartet, Within a Song

Arild Andersen, Celebration

If Billy Hart has gone 'ECM-ish' and Andy Sheppard is now in John Surman pastoral mode, what hope for these three ... ;)

This seems like a case of severe masochism to me. Either that, or just taking yet another opportunity to beat a dead horse!

I always find Sclavis interesting, but I'm unfamiliar with the other musicians.

http://www.inclinaisons.com/artists/index.php?ref=louis-sclavis-2&id=161

I think I've seen him play 5 times: NYC w/ Texier & Romano (Alliance Francaise), NYC 2 nights back to back quintet w/ Matinier on accordeon (Dans La Nuit with film at Alliance Francaise, and music from Affrontement des Pretendants at Tonic), Quartet w/ Dave Douglas (North Sea), and maybe best of all, a quartet with Michel Portal, Henri Texier and Daniel Humair at Montreal Jazz Festival.

I always find Sclavis interesting, but I'm unfamiliar with the other musicians.

http://www.inclinais...clavis-2&id=161

I think I've seen him play 5 times: NYC w/ Texier & Romano (Alliance Francaise), NYC 2 nights back to back quintet w/ Matinier on accordeon (Dans La Nuit with film at Alliance Francaise, and music from Affrontement des Pretendants at Tonic), Quartet w/ Dave Douglas (North Sea), and maybe best of all, a quartet with Michel Portal, Henri Texier and Daniel Humair at Montreal Jazz Festival.

Another Sclavis fan here who's enjoyed many of those line ups live too, except the last one which sounds great indeed. Not been disappointed yet by his ECM output.

• 1 month later...

This one is appearing soon - I like Nude Ants when I'm in the right mood, and I'm looking forward to hearing this. I guess the title will invite cruel and harsh humor from anti-Jarretteers...

31u6Vh6VKaL._SS500_.jpg

Disc: 1

1. Personal Mountains

2. Innocence

3. So Tender

Disc: 2

1. Oasis

2. Chant Of The Soil

3. Prism

4. New Dance

This one is appearing soon - I like Nude Ants when I'm in the right mood, and I'm looking forward to hearing this. I guess the title will invite cruel and harsh humor from anti-Jarretteers...

31u6Vh6VKaL._SS500_.jpg

Disc: 1

1. Personal Mountains

2. Innocence

3. So Tender

Disc: 2

1. Oasis

2. Chant Of The Soil

3. Prism

4. New Dance

I hope there's some archival stuff in the vaults from the American quartet!