Pumpkin vs Sweet Potato

JSngry

What is your preference when it comes to pies?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Apple pie should have been on here. I've never had sweet potato pie, but I don't like sweet potatoes so I probably wouldn't like the pie. Apple pie is far superior to pumpkin pie, whatever the case.

Sweet potato pie uses most of the same spices as pumpkin, so they are similar in taste and consistancy. It's good. Coltrane thought so, too. Had a weakness for the stuff.

Re: your comment about apple pie; no way dude.

:)

Apple pie should have been on here.

The poll is not for your favorite pie, but for your choice between the two. I ask because there are some people who claim to not be able to tell the difference between the two, a claim I find difficult to accept, although there is a great similarity between the two.

My fave might just be mince meat!

I voted "never tried Sweet Potato Pie". In my folk's house, it was always sweet potatos as a side dish, never as pie-but if Mom ever made it with pumpkin instead, I'd damn sure know the difference!

Unfortunately for me, pumpkin won't be in my future very often, since my wife is quite allergic to it. I could live without it, except that one of my favorite cakes is a pumpkin/Chocolate chip cake that dear old Mom used to make.

Give me a good Pecan pie.

Exactly. Why worry about any other choices? While everybody else at our gatherings say "I'll have a little sliver of each", I bide my time and then POUNCE on the pecan!

BTW, I voted for "Don't know- never had sweet potato pie". Love sweet potatoes, just never been offered the pie...

I had to go with both, and you bet I can tell the difference. Hey, my mother's side of the family is from Washington, and my father's side from Georgia, so I got exposed to both, often. If I had to choose, and we're assuming that both are well made pies, I think I'd go with the sweet potato pie, just because the flavor seems more intense and varied.

Yes sweet potato pies. . .they're wonderful. I have a friend who makes a fantastic one, and she's helped me to make a pretty good one, I'm getting better all the time.

I love pumpkin pie too. My great aunt Erma always had a half a dozen or so baking during the holiday season and her meals were awesome, worth the two hour travel to her Canton home from our Burton home back then, but I'd go even if there was just a slice of pie to be had. . . . Hers were special (just as any of her dishes ere special).

• 1 year later...

I had to go with both, and you bet I can tell the difference. Hey, my mother's side of the family is from Washington, and my father's side from Georgia, so I got exposed to both, often. If I had to choose, and we're assuming that both are well made pies, I think I'd go with the sweet potato pie, just because the flavor seems more intense and varied.

We play a tune my Pops wrote called, "My Sweet Potato Pie" :) I actually had sweet potato pie yesterday at T dinner.. :rolleyes:

My fave might just be mince meat!

My Pops was a big fan of the mince meat. Grandma used to make one every year for her boy...

I had never had Sweet Potato Pie until several years ago. After reading about how much Trane loved 'em, I decided to give it a try. Pretty darn good! Next up... a little smack...