Jeff Clyne R.I.P.

RogerF

Some very sad news from the UK. Virtuoso bassist Jeff Clyne passed away yesterday (16 November) at the age of 72. Jeff Clyne had been a key figure in British jazz for over 40 years and played on some groundbreaking albums, Stan Tracey's Under Milk Wood, Tubby Hayes' 100% Proof and the first three seminal albums by Ian Carr's Nucleus. He also played and recorded with the likes of the Jazz Couriers with Hayes and Ronnie Scott, Keith Tippett, plus hosts of others. He was prominent for a while in nascent British jazz rock bands such as Isotope, Gilgamesh and his own band, Turning Point. Jeff Clyne also recorded a little known but superb pre-Nucleus album with Ian Carr plus Trevor Watts and John Stevens entitled Springboard , on the Polydor label, which is highly sought after by collectors. Clyne was also a teacher and co-director of the Wavendon jazz course, and taught at the Royal Academy of Music and Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Apart from being a great acoustic and electric bass player, Jeff, who I had the privilege of meeting on more than one occasion, was also a great guy and will be sorely missed. R.I.P. Jeff.

Edited by RogerF

This is very sad news - he always seemed to be in the thick of the action as far as progressive British jazz was concerned and truly bridged the gap between the Tracey/Hayes generation and Stevens/Watts etc. I'll spin that 'Springboard' LP today in recognition of one of the 'Best of British'. RIP :(

First Ian Carr and now, Jeff Clyne passes on. What a truly dreadful couple of years for jazz RIPs from this land.

Edited by sidewinder

Very sorry to hear this. Hadn't heard of him for years until his name appeared on the Wigan Jazz Festival schedule last summer. But, like G A Russell, I still picture him as a young guy, one of "Tubby Hayes' triplets", as a girlfriend of mine dubbed the three slim, sharply-suited, dark-haired young men (Jeff, Terry Shannon and Bill Eyden) who backed the more solidly-built leader at their regular sessions at Club 43 in Manchester around 1961.