Dizzy Reece "Soundin' Off"

Soul Stream

Hey, I don't know what the concensus is on Dizzy Reece. But, to me, he's about my favorite trumpeter. That's pretty ridiculous I know, but he GETS me every time. That tone. Man, it's so brassy and full of life. And his lines....always reaching, but in the pocket.

I LOVE "Soundin' Off." This is a great session. Walter Bishop Jr. is very special here. Don't know alot about the guy, but he sounds like Bud, the churchiness of a Bobby Timmons.... with some Monk....and something of his own. The rhythm section is real nice.

Funny, some of the endings are sloppy. Like Walter Bishop Jr. didn't catch when Dizzy was ending the tune sometimes. Even a fade on the last tune. But, it's all academic when the playing level is this high.

Dizzy Reece. Don't know why he hasn't surfaced more. He's not the only guy lost in the shuffle. But his 3 Blue Notes are a mighty legacy. "Soundin' Off" being the crowning achievement IMHO. If you don't have it, I highly recommend it. Just trumpet and a rhythm section. Beautiful playing by Reece. "I don't stand a ghost of a chance" is wonderful for starters.

Anybody else REALLY DIG this session. I can't be alone....

Edited by Soul Stream

I like that session. Dizzy Reece was turning out one beautiful album after another at that time. I have this on a Japanese LP issue from vinyl days.

However I wish they had added one more voice to provide a wider scope of sounds. Stanley Turrentine did a couple of interesting dates with Reece then (Duke Jordan's 'Flight to Jordan' and Reece's 'Comin' On'). Reece and Stanley Turrentine were a perfect matc.

By the way, some time ago I emailed Mosaic about a Reece Select and MC answered something like they think about doing it... not very specific, but there's still some hope!

ubu

I would think that we've got more than a little hope; it seems as though Reece's BNs are perfect for the Select concept-too few for a full scale box but too obscure for a regular box set or really many regular reissues.

By the way, some time ago I emailed Mosaic about a Reece Select and MC answered something like they think about doing it... not very specific, but there's still some hope!

ubu

I would think that we've got more than a little hope; it seems as though Reece's BNs are perfect for the Select concept-too few for a full scale box but too obscure for a regular box set or really many regular reissues.

Why not drop them a couple of requests?

It's been some time since I did (that was right after the concept of the Selects came public, I think)

I guess without the Duke Jordan album, it would perfectly fit on three discs. With the Jordan added, it might be a 4CD select.

ubu

Stanley Turrentine did a couple of interesting dates with Reece then (Duke Jordan's 'Flight to Jordan' and Reece's 'Comin' On'). Reece and Stanley Turrentine were a perfect matc.

I really don't have a lot of Reece but I have both Flight to Jordan and Comin On. I think both of these are great. In fact, Flight to Jordan is one of my favorites. It is a very sophisticated piece of work to me. You begin to get hints of where the music was going. These players were extending the traditional in very unique,adventurous but subtle way.

If you can't tell, I really like this one. Put up an extra copy of this one for trade not long ago and was surprised when no one jumped all over it. I guess everyone on this board either has it or doesn't know what they are missing. It is a very enjoyable piece. This is another instance where I wish BN would keep stuff available a little longer.

If you want to hear some primo Dizz, check out his OJC release, "Asia Minor". How can you lose when you hook him up with the likes of Joe Farrell, Cecil Payne, Hank Jones, Ron Carter and Charlie Persip? Answer: you can't. At the risk of having my Blue Note credentials revoked, this is my favorite Dizzy Reece on record.

Up over and out.

What do you guys think of Reece's Tempo stuff, reissued by Jasmine? I haven't yet tried a single Jasmine reissue, but there are certainly some tempting titles, and not just by Reece.

(Inspired by this thread, I'm now listening to Reece's Comin' On. I have Soundin' Off on deck.)

I like the Tempo reissues from Jasmine; the Reece appearances are surely among the best.

It's to my ears not quite the music that is on Blue Note as far as quality of writing and performance BUT quite good, rawer in a way, definitely worth hearing. Sound quality is decent. . . great for this material, which was not optimally recorded. Notes are okay, about the way that Blue Note notes are okay. . . I don't buy Blue Notes for the LINERS. -_-

The Dizzy Reece date I would like to see reissued is the 'From In to Out' date on the French label Futura where he played with John Gilmore and Art Taylor. Missed that one when it came out. Futura has reissued a number of sessions in the past few years but not that Reece album.

The Dizzy Reece date I would like to see reissued is the 'From In to Out' date on the French label Futura where he played with John Gilmore and Art Taylor. Missed that one when it came out. Futura has reissued a number of sessions in the past few years but not that Reece album.

This one sounds very interesting!

The point Morganized made that musicians as Reece were "extending the traditional in very unique,adventurous but subtle way" seems to be truer in regard of other than his Blue Note discs, Comin' On maybe an exception.

ubu

It's also one of the rare trumpet plus rhythm section that was recorded by Lion and Wolff. The only similar lineup I could think of were the 1954 Miles Davis Quartet date with Horace Silver, Percy Heath and Art Blakey, the Lee Morgan 'Candy' album and the Herbie Hancock 'Empyrean Isles' album with Freddie Hubbard.

Dizzy Reece's playing on 'Yesterdays' from the 'Soundin' Off' date is masterful!

So what are my options for getting "Soundin' Off" on CD???

I don't follow what's what with Japanese imports all that closely. Is the TOCJ my only option??

Or has this been released as a JRVG (though I hate those mini-LP format releases). [Just checked Dusty Groove, and it does appear to have been a JRVG.]

Any possibility this will come out as a RVG here in the U.S.?? (Where's that most recent list??)

Was it ever released as a McMaster here in the U.S.?? I don't remember it being a Collector's Choice. I'm pretty sure it wasn't ever a Conn.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Rooster, I don't know if it was on a McMaster CD. It was no Conn, and I guess it will rather come out as a Conn than an RVG.

I still hope for a Select, and I wouldn't mind the Jordan disc being included or not. That one would probably let the trio track off and be incomplete anyway, so we'd have to wait for a Conn (or RVG) as well.

ubu