Does Any US Auto-Maker Have A Good Commuter Car?

I'm in the market for a new commuter car. My Prius is hitting 125,000 miles so it's time to delegate it for around-town transport duties. I want to support the US auto industry - yeah, stupid me, I know - I may regret it later.

Anyway, I test drove a Ford Fusion, which is about the only car in their line-up that appealed to me, but the seat was extremely uncomfortable. It seems that Ford made a decision that they weren't going to let the owner of the car adjust the headrest to their comfort. Ford has it permanently pointing at the back of your skull. When you settle back into the seat, your head points down and you wind up looking at your crotch. Hey, there are some crotches I enjoy staring at, but I think I'd be better off looking out the window while I'm driving.

So GM... pared down to Chevy, Buick and Cadillac. Obviously, a Caddie is not a "commuter car". Buick doesn't make any small cars at all anymore, although their cars get decent gas mileage as is. Chevy. The Aveo? No way. Tiny little thing. Cobalt? Malibu? A lot of these cars look kinda plastic-y inside, although a lot better than the '09 Pontiacs.

So any opinions out there? Should I say "screw it" and go with my tried & true Toyota again?

BTW, I was in a Nissan dealer to look at the Rogue mini-SUV and I saw this funky-looking little car called Cube. Wow. Weirdest looking car I've ever sat in. But I have to say, it has the most headroom of any car I've ever sat in too. 28 city/30 highway. Hmmmm. Maybe a Cube is in my future? If so, my wife's already said she'll never drive "That ugly car. Ever." :)

Later,

Kevin

Ford will be introducing the Fiesta (30city/40hwy) in summer of 2010.

2011-ford-fiesta-i01.jpg

The Mercury Milan is an upgraded Fusion and may have better seat options.

Personally I think Buick is putting out some very stylish high quality product. The 2011 Regal will hit the road this spring. 2011_buick_regal_actf34_ns_111109_717.jpg

Why not a mid/full size car of the mileage is right? I mean the Chevy Malibu and Buick Lacrosse are supposed to do better than 30mpg hwy.

• 4 weeks later...

Here I am thinking about possibly switching back to an American car after many carefree years in several Toyotas. I go back & forth on this, mainly because in the end, I have to pay for the decision and my last few American cars have cost me A LOT. However, I do want to support American workers.

So as I have looked at the (mostly expensive) American car offerings, I have visited several dealers and gotten on some E-mail lists. The offers come fast & furious. The latest from GM really has me scratching my head. To wit:

It pays to be loyal.

We're giving you Owner Loyalty Cash good toward almost every new 2009 and 2010 GM vehicle. As long as you or someone in your household owns or leases a 1999 or newer model year GM vehicle, you can redeem your Owner Loyalty Cash and use it toward an eligible, new one.

But act quickly — this exclusive offer ends February 1, 2010. To see the list of eligible vehicles, or to get more information, click here.

Your discount pays off. Want even more great savings? It's easy. Combine your Owner Loyalty Cash with your Credit Union Member Discount from GM,² plus most current incentives.

Duh. Why on earth would you limit it to current owners?? Wouldn't it make more sense to try and give people incentive to SWITCH BACK to GM car rather than try and tap current owners? What incentive do I have to switch? None. Screw these guys. I'm going back to Toyota! :) :)

BTW, since I started this thread, I found out that the Ford Fusion is 100% Mexican made. So much for buying an American made Ford.

Later,

Kevin

Um...because it's called "loyalty cash"?

And this will make me want to buy a GM vehicle at full price why??????

Wake up GM. It's people like me that GM NEEDS to gain back, not people who already have their stuff. The last 5 or 6 GM products I've owned had huge maintenance costs. From what I'm hearing at work, Ford isn't any better these days. A friend's F-150 is costing him about $2,500 per year in maintenance costs.

So I'm supposed to switch back to GM why? Ford? Tell me what are my incentives?

Alright the car I want is on the list, the Saturn "Sky."

Of course, it's just the car I want. I can't get it, but I want it. ;)

Sorry Lon, but Saturn's going the way of the Edsel. If you want one, buy it now. In a few years, it'll be a "collectible" and that almost always equates to "big bucks".

Kevin

Wake up GM. It's people like me that GM NEEDS to gain back, not people who already have their stuff. The last 5 or 6 GM products I've owned had huge maintenance costs. From what I'm hearing at work, Ford isn't any better these days. A friend's F-150 is costing him about $2,500 per year in maintenance costs.

So I'm supposed to switch back to GM why? Ford? Tell me what are my incentives?

Personally I've never given three craps about the "buy American" movement (especially in cars) - but Ford's cars get pretty good reviews these days.

Guy

Kevin I can't afford to buy a car nor do I need one; I get by with my motorcycle year round here. But I like that car, if it goes away it's the same as if it stays available because I'll be doing without a car.

Edited by jazzbo

I have a 2009 Ford Fusion. It's Ok; no problems yet. Wish I had got the V6 version, though. I thought I'd save money with the 4, but the gas mileage around town is mediocre at best; the V6 would not be much worse.

Agree with Kevin about the Fusion headrests. I don't notice it when I'm driving, but when my wife's driving and I want to settle back for a rest in the passenger seat it's extremely hard to get comfortable. That headrest is always forcing your head forward. I noticed the same thing in a Cadillac GTS I rode in recently. I guess the thinking is that headrests are there to protect you from whiplash in case of accident, not make you comfortable. So they place them very close to your head.