Jack Wilson - Ramblin'

marcoliv

got this one last saturday and it´s really good

released by Fresh Sound, the sound is OK but there is one track missing on the booklet and back cover, hopefully is on the disc :)

my only exposure to Wilson´s work was with his Connoisseur release and it´s good to have Roy Ayers playing on a jazz mood. Monk Montgomery is also there and the drummer i can´t remember now.

they play only standards and their rendition of Stolen Moments is great.

Marcus Oliveira

I agree- this is a nice CD. Fresh Sound has long been a great source of otherwise obscure recordings. I remember getting their catalog in the 80's, and I wish I had bought more.

The drummer on RAMBLIN' was Varner (also spelled "Warner" in booklet) Barlow.

The CD contains 9 tracks, but the last one ("pensativa") is not listed on the booklet. Coincidentally, on the original rear cover of the LP, one track was also not listed ("the sidewinder").

Thanks for mentioning this, Marcus- Jack Wilson is a name that tends to be forgotten, unfortunately.

This is a good session and I love Jack Wilson's work. Other favorites are "Easterly Winds" and his contributions on Curtis Amy's "Katanga." (as well as "Something Personal" of course!)

Dusty used to sell this for $10-11 range. Haven't checked if it's still there.

My cd edition has "Sidewinder" listed as track 8 and there is no track listing for #9. Also, "Sidewinder" appears to be cut off. Anyone else notice this?

Edited by connoisseur series500

My cd edition has "Sidewinder" listed as track 8 and there is no track listing for #9.

That's what I meant when I said that "pensativa" (track 9) wasn't listed.

"Sidewinder" appears to be cut off. Anyone else notice this?

Right- it's faded out before they get through the reprise of the theme.

Been replaying "Ramblin" a few times since this thread came up. I've always liked it and I'm liking it even more now. This is beautiful music. All the tracks are good, but "Stolen Moments" is magically beautiful. It's a shame that "Sidewinder" got cropped like it did. It was going really good.

I don't know of any other recorded meetings than Wilson's own debut albums on Atlantic and Blue Note respectively, and one or two of Ayer's late 60s Atlantics. But there may be more hidden on more obscure titles.

One is Wilson's BRAZILIAN MANCINI (Vault) from 1967. Indespensable also for the guitarist on the session, one "Tony Brazil" (aka "Joe Beam"). B)

The only other cd I have with them both is "Something Personal," which I like very much. 

I suppose that just about everyone has that cd.

I happen to like Jack Wilson a lot.Been listening to the Curtis Amy, Katanga, a lot lately(thanks jazzkrow) I have been trying to find Easterly Winds for some time but have not run across that one yet.

I spotted a used copy of Something Personal the other day. If someone would like me to pick it up just send me a pm. Maybe we could work out a trade or something.

Edited by Morganized

I have been trying to find Easterly Winds for some time but have not run across that one yet.

Not an easy one apparently. Jacknife is looking as well.

I've got it in JRVG :g but I've only heard it a few times. I like it but it got pushed back behind a bunch of other purchases. I can only listen to one at a time!

I have been trying to find Easterly Winds for some time but have not run across that one yet.

Not an easy one apparently. Jacknife is looking as well.

I've got it in JRVG :g but I've only heard it a few times. I like it but it got pushed back behind a bunch of other purchases. I can only listen to one at a time!

Probably easiest to get via the vinyl route on the Toshiba pressing. Mr Tanno might possibly be able to help anyone looking for this.

• 1 month later...

I listended to "Two Sides of ..." last night - what a great album. I think Wlson's playing really is distinctive and nice.

Another Ayers/Wilson combo is the first album Ayers ever did - on United Artists and called West Coast Vibes. It is a quintet with Curtis Amy on tenor. What a killer album for Blue Note to re-issue!

Eric

I have probably posted this before, but all the collaborative sessions by Jack Wilson and Roy Ayers under their respective leadership for Atlantic, United Artists, Blue Note, and Vault would make a very nice Mosaic Select - may Mosaic put their efforts into this!

Roy Ayers - West Coast Vibes - United Artists

Roy Ayers - Virgo Vibes - Atlantic (only one session with Wilson)

Jack Wilson - Corcovado or Jack Wilson Quartet feat. Roy Ayers - Atlantic

Jack Wilson - unissued big band and quartet sessions - Atlantic, prob. lost

Jack Wilson - Brazilian Mancini - Vault

Jack Wilson - Ramblin' - Vault

Jack Wilson - Something Personal - Blue Note

plus another only partially issued session (Vault LP 108) with unknown personnel.

• 1 year later...