gosh dang it sure is cold!!!

Do you still work in F in the States?

I thought it was only Britain that clung on to that sort of thing. I'm not sure how it happened but at some time over the last 10+ years my brain has flipped from F into C. I think it might have been when they started putting temperature readings in the car. They are only in C. As are the weather reports.

brrrr paps - go outside and make a snow angel!

:crazy:

Do you still work in F in the States?

I thought it was only Britain that clung on to that sort of thing. I'm not sure how it happened but at some time over the last 10+ years my brain has flipped from F into C. I think it might have been when they started putting temperature readings in the car. They are only in C. As are the weather reports.

we got inches too!!!!

:excited:

Edited by Bright Moments

we got inches too!!!!

:excited:

Yes - I still think mainly in feet and inches (though I find the 'metre' something I can visualise).

Miles too on the road signs (the measurement, not the trumpet player). I have to pull my rusty maths* out of the back of my brain when driving in Europe - "80 miles to Paris...divide by 8, times by 5...that's 50 miles."

maths* = math to you colonials.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

You're up early again Bev. Hope the heater isn't acting up again.

Mine is running pretty steady. There are certain folks here who take pride in not turning on the heat until it's absolutely frigid. "Got down to 52 in the house last night." That sort of thing.

They invented heaters for a reason, is my thinking.

You're up early again Bev. Hope the heater isn't acting up again.

Mine is running pretty steady. There are certain folks here who take pride in not turning on the heat until it's absolutely frigid. "Got down to 52 in the house last night." That sort of thing.

They invented heaters for a reason, is my thinking.

Not working at all at the moment. Rang up British gas and they can only come out on weekdays in the current situation which is no good to me as I'll be at work. So I've got an old electric fire going.

It seems to have something to do with outlet pipes being frozen.

My parents are devils for not putting the heating up if they can wear jumpers. I like the house toasty so I can just wear a t-shirt. But they are from the Depression and Austerity generation whereas I'm from the indulged, Welfare State, spoilt generation!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I actually went three winters in two different apartments without any heat at all. This might have been understandable south of the Mason-Dixon line, but this was Newark, NJ (old cold water flats that had been grandfathered in, I guess, though I did have hot water in the sinks and tub). I suppose technically the second apartment had a kind of built-in space heater in the kitchen, but since this was a railroad car type layout, and I spend my time in the front, it would have been pointless to run. So indeed I could see my breath inside the apartment much of the time. I tell this to my wife anytime we discuss lowering the thermostat, but she has the advantage over me, since we have small children who can't regulate their body temperature as well, so the heat stays on...

brrrr. 35 degrees atm in miami!

:rsmile:

Wow that's bad for Florida. I hear that even the sea turtles are struggling.

It's around -3c here. Pretty cosy indoors but my problem is that my wife can't seem to grasp the principle of the thermostat!

One small benefit arising from this cold spell is the influx of Redwings in the garden. So it must be pretty cold in Scandanavia.

I actually went three winters in two different apartments without any heat at all. This might have been understandable south of the Mason-Dixon line, but this was Newark, NJ (old cold water flats that had been grandfathered in, I guess, though I did have hot water in the sinks and tub). I suppose technically the second apartment had a kind of built-in space heater in the kitchen, but since this was a railroad car type layout, and I spend my time in the front, it would have been pointless to run. So indeed I could see my breath inside the apartment much of the time. I tell this to my wife anytime we discuss lowering the thermostat, but she has the advantage over me, since we have small children who can't regulate their body temperature as well, so the heat stays on...

I only moved into a fully centrally-heated house in 1991.

I recall waking up at around 2.00 on New Years morning in the late 80s with icy cold water dropping on my head. Pipe burst! Aaaahhhhh!