Favorite jazz books of 2009

think i read four jazz books in the past year, Ashley Kahn's books on Kind of Blue and A Love Supreme I found cheap; both perfectly ok, the A Love Supreme a bit better, the Kind of Blue a bit worse... then I read John Szwed's Miles bio, which was great, favorite Miles book so far (i.e. compared to Nisenson, Troupe and Kahn); and then i did my best reading San Quentin Jazz Band although it was in French..., it's a weird book, relying mostly on criminal records; it's basically an endless story of jail, stole a piece of meat at the grocery store while out on parole, back to jail, released, driving without a license while out on parole, back to jail... some more interviews with contemporaries, discussion of records... would have made the picture a great deal more complete... but then, getting a collection of new biographical details for artists like Earl Anderza and Dupree Bolton was great....

I will say that the best jazz book I read this year and, in my opinion, one of the best jazz books ever - in spite of itself - was Grange Rutan's Death of a Bebop Wife (about Al Haig).

Bizarre, complex, contradictory, organizationally a mess, but one of the most complicated and compelling books on a jazz musician I have ever read. It is formatted as oral testimony, and it sneaks up on you, but the cumulative effect is devastating. Now, it was a bit more traumatic for me than for the average reader, but I don't think one has to have known the subject to feel the impact of the book.

One starts slowly to realize that these are almost all crazy and bizarre people, yet they see their lives as just average, which is what gives the book its strange aura.

the ranginess and sloppiness of the book's organization actual achieves a poetic quality.

I kid you not

Edited by AllenLowe

I have read 'Bouncin' with Bartok', interesting and rather depressing!

One that I really enjoyed was 'Traveling Blues, The Life and Music of Tommy Ladnier'. An awesome volume!

Hope the authors make back the money they invested on the project so that they can produce another (and more) similar book on other musicians.

Currently reading the Robin D.G. Kelley book on Thelonious Monk. Very impressed with the research that Kelley carried to complete this.

Next on the list are the Herbie Nichols plus the Jazz Loft Project books.

Also looking forward to read Gérard Regnier's 'Jazz et Société sous l'Occupation', a research on the state of he jazz music during the nazi occupation of France and Belgium. Recently published at L'Harmattan.

Among the jazz books published in 2009 that I have explored closer (though I am not quite finished with reading them yet), it is these two I like best:

- Traveling Blues - The Life and Music of Tommy Ladnier (Bo Lindström, Dan Vernhettes). I can only second what Brownie said on this book. And as long as other (larger, U.S.) publishers get away with comparatively shoddy printing quality, this one really is top-notch for its money in this reproduction quality department alone, not to mention its painstakingly researched text)

- Le siècle du jazz - Art, cinéma, musique et photographie de Picasso à Baquiat (published by Flammarion as a catalog to the jazz exhibition shown in Paris and Barcelona in 2009 - Thanks, EKE BBB, for making me aware of this through your blog!)

No doubt the Fats Navarro biography Infatuation (by Petersen & Rehak) would also figure among my favorite 2009 jazz books but I have not had a closer look at it yet since I bought it earlier in 2009 so I cannot really comment.

Among other, earlier-published jazz (or jazz-related) books I've read in 2009 and liked particularly are:

- Bouncin' with Bartok - the Incomplete Works of Richard Twardzik (Jack Chambers)

- How Britain Got The Blues - The Transmission and Reception of American Blues Style in the United Kingdom (Roberta Freund Schwartz)

I won't go into what I liked less here ;) and at any rate, there's still so much to read among the recent music book purchases on my bookshelf, including quite a few excellent (50s) rock'n'roll and "roots music" books..

Also looking forward to read Gérard Regnier's 'Jazz et Société sous l'Occupation', a research on the state of he jazz music during the nazi occupation of France and Belgium. Recently published at L'Harmattan.

Thanks for alerting me to this book, Brownie! It will figure high on my shopping list for my next trip to France!

Edited by Big Beat Steve

No doubt the Fats Navarro biography Infatuation (by Petersen & Rehak) would also figure among my favorite 2009 jazz books but I have not had a closer look at it yet since I bought it earlier in 2009 so I cannot really comment.

Need to get that one! Will look forward to your comments BBS!

I second the Kelley book on Monk - surprised that no one else here has read the Rutan book. Of all books on jazz I've read in the last 15 years, it hits closest to the essence of the music. It's the difference between reading a book that's about something, and a book that IS the very object of its author.

get with it boys.

Edited by AllenLowe

I second the Kelley book on Monk - surprised that no one else here has read the Rutan book. Of all books on jazz I've read in the last 15 years, it hits closest to the essence of the music.n It's the difference between reading a book that's about something, and a book that IS the very object of its author.

get with it boys.

tried to buy a copy a few months ago but it had already become rather pricey....

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Bebop-Wife-Grange-Rutan/dp/1881993426/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263389302&sr=8-2

I second the Kelley book on Monk - surprised that no one else here has read the Rutan book. Of all books on jazz I've read in the last 15 years, it hits closest to the essence of the music.n It's the difference between reading a book that's about something, and a book that IS the very object of its author.

get with it boys.

tried to buy a copy a few months ago but it had already become rather pricey....

http://www.amazon.com/Death-Bebop-Wife-Grange-Rutan/dp/1881993426/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263389302&sr=8-2

Indeed!

Ouch ... 669 bucks .. this is SICK! And even at well beyond 100$ this is where I would really say that (in-)"accessibility" of culture comes into play. ;)

I'd like to read Szwed's Miles bio myself--thanks for reminding me of it.

The most enjoyable Miles book of the several I've read. Szwed's one a hell of a good writer (IMHO).

Have you read his Sun Ra biography? That one was immensely helpful to me when I was putting together the "Second Magic City" show about Sun Ra's Chicago years.

• 6 months later...

I'm going to be purchasing the Chambers / Twardzik book very soon but I'm wondering if anyone who has the book already can tell me if Jack Chambers cited my interview with Herb Pomeroy from AFM Local 9-535's 1998 July-August-September issue [A Many Splendored Life: A Conversation with Herb Pomeroy by Walter Gross]. I had been in contact w/ Chambers while he was working on the book and I sent him over a copy of the article but I never had any follow up with him to see if he actually used any of my interview.

Thanks in advance!

BFB, if nobody else has answered you by tomorrow, I'll take a look at my copy when I get to the office and let you know.

Thanks. I just ordered it anyway. I remember when it was in limbo for such a long time and I didn't actually know it had finally been released until a few days ago. Clearly I've been living in a cave of something.

I'm going to be purchasing the Chambers / Twardzik book very soon but I'm wondering if anyone who has the book already can tell me if Jack Chambers cited my interview with Herb Pomeroy from AFM Local 9-535's 1998 July-August-September issue [A Many Splendored Life: A Conversation with Herb Pomeroy by Walter Gross]. I had been in contact w/ Chambers while he was working on the book and I sent him over a copy of the article but I never had any follow up with him to see if he actually used any of my interview.

Thanks in advance!

Your interview is indexed in the References section of the book :tup

My only jazz reading last year was to go back to A B Spellman's Four Lives in the Bebop Business

If you've got the original UK hardback, check out the credit on the cover art. A young chap called Ian Dury !

1967 hardback, but unfortunately now without dust jacket. :tdown

Thanks in advance!

Your interview is indexed in the References section of the book :tup

Fantastic thanks for checking Brownie!

gotta go direct to Cadence for the Haig book, don't worry about those Bozos on Amazon -

it's $34 plus shipping - their email:

cjb@cadencebuilding.com

or I'll sell you my copy for $665 -

hey, it's the book that sent me into a DEEP depression. So it must be fun -

Thanks for posting thats its still available at Cadence. I saw those Amazon prices and was disappointed that I'd have to wait a while to ever see that book. Cheapest was $132!