Miles at IOW festival on DVD

Gary

Have given the concert performance quite few airings. That first number of the set is funky beyond belief - they hit the high point from the outset.

'Call it anything' is made up of

Directions

Bitches Brew

Its about time

Spanish Key

The theme.

I've been checking this out today...

A couple of thoughts.... Like, MAN can we see the WHOLE Steve Allen Show footage!!!! Also, some of the other 70's footage I had never seen either. Cut all the boring Joni Mitchell interviews and show us THAT uncut footage.

That ALWAYS bugs me when they show stuff on these docs. that is unreleased and only show a snippet.

• 2 weeks later...

This finally showed up in the mail today. (I don't know why it took 3 weeks.)

I watched much of it tonight including about the first 10 minutes of the concert. I was really hoping to see that entire Steve Allen set, too. Couldn't they put that on the disk somewhere as an "extra"?

Anyway, I'll probably get a fresh start on the concert portion tomorrow. Definitely looks SMOKIN' !!!

• 2 months later...

I finally got this one.

Love the concert portion, but the interviews and other footage are for the most part pretty sorry I think.

They fall into one of several categories:

1) Irrelevant - Perhaps Miles did follow Tiny Tim at the concert but must I be forced to watch Tim footage -even if it is about 15 seconds

2) I have heard these people say these things before

3) these people are talking more about themselves than about Miles

5) some of the meaningless platiitudes were almost laughable

I am the only one that feels this way?

• 4 years later...

Finally got around to watching this.

As far as the performance, it is great, without a doubt. This is not my favorite Miles electric ensemble - I prefer the ones with ONLY Keith or ONLY Chick - but it's MUCH better than the June Fillmore sets, at least partially because Gary Bartz replaces Steve Grossman. Miles's performance is excellent, he was in peak form during this period.

As far as the interviews, I generally enjoyed them. I really detest Carlos Santana's vapid musings and wish they'd gotten a more thoughtful naysayer than Stanley Crouch (though on the opposite tack, this was about these peoples' experiences of Miles and how they came to terms with his electric music, so maybe it is appropriate). But the comments by the musicians that played with Miles are generally very insightful - particularly Dave Liebman and Keith Jarrett. I enjoyed Liebman's comments because they come from a guy who has great appreciation for the music, but for whom it didn't come easy.

Guy

I finally got this one.

Love the concert portion, but the interviews and other footage are for the most part pretty sorry I think.

They fall into one of several categories:

1) Irrelevant - Perhaps Miles did follow Tiny Tim at the concert but must I be forced to watch Tim footage -even if it is about 15 seconds

2) I have heard these people say these things before

3) these people are talking more about themselves than about Miles

5) some of the meaningless platiitudes were almost laughable

I am the only one that feels this way?

I got into Betty Davis because of this video. I like Joni Mitchell comparing the response to Miles plugging in to the response to Dylan doing the same. The guys who were in the band were OK. You can always just watch the interviews once, or skip them if you really don't like them and get right to the concert. But I thought it was cool to see how they've aged, physically.

Has anyone else noticed that Airto is so stoned that he walks into a pole while exiting the stage? It really cracks me up! :tup

Doesn't suprise me. The BBC repeated a radio interview a while ago where he mentioned that on the helicopter flight over to the IOW someone in the cabin mentioned that the pilot had been given LSD. Fortunately for all, a false alarm. :rolleyes:

This DVD is up for a viewing tonight. Followed by Don Eliis 'Electric Heart'. :)

Now that's a nice match.

I think both deserve mention as very good examples of jazz documentaries, with their little faults.

Miles' clearly have had easily superior budget and video quality. The full IOW footage had to be inserted in some worth presentation.

Edited by ArmandoPeraza