A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muggsy Spanier...never heard why he was called Muggsy....

You know, Berigan, I thought it would be a really easy thing to discover the origins of the various nicknames. Some of them make sense, because they describe a visible characteristic or eccentricity.

What has surprised me is how many are not explained, but just accepted as their name. I've tried to find out, but if I can't I just accept it, mention it and go with any info I could find about them. Their nicknames became part of who they were.

By narrowing our discussion to artists who have nicknames, it gives us a random way of learning about big AND obscure artists.

Usually, discussions are predicated on already famous and written about jazzers, but this is a different approach, I think.

All the subject needs, to be profiled is a nickname. :wacko:

So, is that your way of saying you don't know??? ;)

Sidenote on the aforementioned Anita O'Day. My son did a studio session with Ms. O'Day last month, the band with Seamus Blake, James Zoller and other fine Ny players sounded great. Anita didn't. Of course she is a zillion years old and her pipes are gone. 'Nuff said.

Howabout Nappy Lamare? Stuff Smith?

Mangy Spaniel??????????

Napoleon "Nappy" Lamare was a New Orleans banjo player who spent most of the 40's and 50's on the West Coast. He played with the Lu Watters Yerba Buena Band and led his own band with featured the great valve/slide trombone player Brad Gowans.

He had a local weekly tv show in the early 50's in L.A.

His banjo playing wasn't anything special (but whose is?) but he had a outgoing personality and his band played very good Dixieland.

He will probably just make one long post addressed to "ALL DILDIES"!  ;)

:lol::lol:

You're probably right. I think that we of the feminine persuasion are "DILDETTES".

I shudder to think that my humble scribblings will be dissected, bit by bit. Oh well, we do what we can.............. :blink::blink:

Well, it will make you feel better til whatshisface gets back, I can tell you that I have never heard of Louis Venutti, but I have heard of Giuseppi "Joe" Venuti! :P

Man, if there is such a person as Louis Venutti, is my face gonna be red! :winky:

Nappy Lamare was also in the Ben Pollack band, and thru that the Bob Crosby band for a long time...he also also "sang" quite a bit with Crosby.

Of course, we all know was given the birth name Napoleon, for the great Napoleon Lajoie...... :w

Edited by BERIGAN

Well, it will make you feel better til whatshisface gets back, I can tell you that I have never heard of Louis Venutti, but I have heard of Giuseppi "Joe" Venuti! :P

Man, if there is such a person as Louis Venutti, is my face gonna be red! :winky:

I guess I should be glad that you're there, Berigan and your editing is, somehow, kinder and less stinging than my usual editor's is. :rolleyes: It's my face that should be red, not yours. :blink:

There probably IS a Louis Venutti, somewhere, but that's not who I meant.

I was listening to La Vie En Rose, by Armstrong and somehow thought "Louis" and not "Joe". The very nice red wine I was sipping could have had something to do with it too. My apologies. :blink::blink:

Take for instance Ziggy Elman, VS. Ziggy Elmer! Elman played trombone early in his career, before becoming a full time trumpeter, whilst Elmer was always a trombonist (As far as I know) And of course, Ziggy Elmer played in Ziggy Elman's band in the late 40's!!! :wacko:

So.....Why were they called Ziggy? :huh:

Maybe they were fans of (Achtung) Dr. Freud...

Take for instance Ziggy Elman, VS. Ziggy Elmer! Elman played trombone early in his career, before becoming a full time trumpeter, whilst Elmer was always a trombonist (As far as I know) And of course, Ziggy Elmer played in Ziggy Elman's band in the late 40's!!! :wacko:

So.....Why were they called Ziggy?  :huh:

:lol:

:lol: Oh Maren, you're making a funny one on 'ol Sig!! :lol: I love a good ribbing! But vatch yourself and don't let it become a habit, mein little puff pastryette! :rfr

Tell me, I've been examining the title of this thread and wish to know when the author will return to tell us if Herr Christiern has in fact unclenched his keester?? Vat in the world is zis American expression? A holiday greeting of sorts? Oh, you Americans with your living quarters packed full of bought up european culture are just too funny!! :lol:

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

:lol: Oh Maren, you're making a funny one on 'ol Sig!! :lol: I love a good ribbing! But vatch yourself and don't let it become a habit, mein little puff pastryette! :rfr

Tell me, I've been examining the title of this thread and wish to know when the author will return to tell us if Herr Christiern has in fact unclenched his keester?? Vat in the world is zis American expression? A holiday greeting of sorts? Oh, you Americans with your living quarters packed full of bought up european culture are just too funny!! :lol:

DR. FRAUD,

DUNNO. Christiern called the studio during the mix down but didn't show up.

We even went until 9 PM and then all went out to dinner.

Maybe you should address your question directly to Christiern re the UNCLENCHING.

DEEP