Prez and his disciples

medjuck

This is a good question. Having most of Pres' discography, I am inclined to say no with respect to recordings. It does seem a good bet that he shared the Jazz at the Philharmonic stage with some of them at some time. But I don't know of any recordings.

In general, there are very few post-Basie recordings where Pres shares the stage with another tenor. There are several JATP recordings with Pres and Flip Phillips. But Flip hardly qualifies as a "disciple." There are no recordings that I know of with the likes of Getz, Zoot, Perkins, Brew Moore, etc. Does Gerry Mulligan count? He follows Pres on the 1957 "Fine and Mellow." Not an enviable spot to me in!

July 9, 1953 Lester and Warne Marsh sat side by side for a Metronome All Stars date.

Warne is fantastic on this date.

As well as Pres :)

This is good question. While on JATP Pres did the tours with some of them such as Getz and Zoot Sims whom he admired. That was last year of his life.

I saw disc from 1955 JATP concert with George Shearing, Basie, Stan Getz and Pres.

And Pres did recorded altogether with Paul Quinichette on at least one date (live) with Basie band.

More interesting question would be: if they recorded together, were there solos by either of them, one after another.

There's that November 27, 1948 broadcast from the Royal Roost that was preserved for posterity. Lester Young and his band are on stage (Jessie Drakes on trumpet, Ted Kelly on trombone, Freddie Jefferson at the piano, Ted Briscoe on bass and Roy Haynes on drums). Symphony Sid is mcing and he introduces people showing up for a jam and there is Brother Allan Eager among them. Others joining in are Kai Winding, Hank Jones and Ella Fitzgerald.

They go into 'How High the Moon'. Lester is the first to solo and he is brilliant. Obviously enjoying the evening and the jam. Others follow. Then comes a very confident Allan Eager who shows where he is coming from. Ella Fitzgerald closes the performance with some scat singing before all the musicians go into the 'Jumping With Symphony Sid' theme.

I have this in the giant Prez 22LP box that was published in Italy. Know the track has appeared elsewhere.

July 9, 1953 Lester and Warne Marsh sat side by side for a Metronome All Stars date. At one point Prez looked at Warnie and said "you sound just like me!".

This date is available on the Verve Billy Eckstine set.

Chuck, is this the "Verve" set you're talking about?

B0000046QG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Edited by mikeweil

Mmilovan, I think Definitive Records (from Spain/Andorra) have reissued this. Or are about to.

Yes, they did it, already. But I am positive about that date because I have heard the disc about 5 years ago and transferred it to cassette tape. It was probably Charly Le Jazz CD 4 Lon referred to. There were some beautiful takes from another LY early fifties broadcasts with John Lewis and Papa on that disc, to fill the space.