ornette as sideman

alocispepraluger102

On top of what has been mentioned already:

Ornette actually appeared on both Haden's The Golden Number and Closeness, playing trumpet on the former and alto on the latter...

I believe he appeared on Joe Henry's Scar-

On a Rolf Kuhn album called Affairs-

On an album by French singer Claude Nougaro (a brief and highly-paid guest spot)-

(with the Blackwell/Haden/Izenzon quartet, I believe) on Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band album (the one with John)-

-an Al Macdowell Time Peace album-

-and also on the bewildering Lou Reed The Raven project, on which he essays a finely-hewn solo in the Prime Time mold. Reed spends the remainder of the album bemoaning his decaying testicles.

Edited by ep1str0phy

Boots/tapes of him sitting in with the Dead exist (one of their free tune, isn't that the 'space jam'? -- and one 'conventional' tune), live on stage when Prime Time opened for them. Among the only recordings of the Dead I own, on cassettes I haven't seen nor listened to in 15+ years.

• 10 months later...

Boots/tapes of him sitting in with the Dead exist (one of their free tune, isn't that the 'space jam'? -- and one 'conventional' tune), live on stage when Prime Time opened for them. Among the only recordings of the Dead I own, on cassettes I haven't seen nor listened to in 15+ years.

I was there when Ornette played with The Dead at Oakland Coliseum in Feb. 1993 (Mardi Gras). Ornette opened and then later after intermission played the Space jam with the band leading into Love Light and Stella Blue.

On a new Jamaladeen Tacuma (For the Love of Ornette) release that I ordered three weeks ago from his website and still haven't received.

I have this, though have only heard it once -- some very nice moments but some meandering too. Need to go through it again with full attention paid. There's studio dialogue at one point and Ornette says, "Fellas, forget the notes and get to the ideas." Quintessential.