2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice to see Phil Hughes pitching down to his normal level of post-season incompetence. Gets ahead of Andrus 1-2 and then gives up double. How many times in this series has he had two srtikes on a batter and then given up a hit? I will never understand why Girardi didn't go with Pettitte in Game 2. All he's done in his career is set the record for most post-season wins ever.

I think the main reason Hughes pitched game 2 was a 3.47 ERA on the road, 4.66 at home.

It's funny seeing a manager called every name in the book....as I learned to realize with Bobby Cox...managers are a lot smarter with a lead. Bottom line is the Yankees have scored only 1 run in 8 off of Colby Lewis. Really hard to win with only 1 run. Hats off to Colby, clearly the game of his career!

Well, that's that.

Yankees looked lifeless in this game.

Oddly enough I saw the last game between the Yankees and the Senators before they moved to Texas. It was a crazy scene, with the fans storming the field in the top of the ninth with the Yanks leading.

Just got home from the Mike Reed's People, Places and Things show and saw the score--congratulations to the Rangers and their fans here. You guys were clearly the better team, and I know this one's been a long time coming. Coming into this series, Phil Hughes had pitched very well on the road against Texas, but yeah, given that it was the postseason, Girardi might have done well to put aside the book for once. Molina's HR in Game 4 was also a huge moment, perhaps comparable in its impact to Damon's double-steal and subsequent run in Game 4 of last year's WS. Basically, though, Texas just outhit and outpitched us in every single game in this series with the exception of Game 5.

Not sure who I'll be pulling for in the WS if it's Texas-San Francisco. Normally I tend to go for the team that beat the Yankees (you want your team to have been knocked out by the best :tophat: ), but the Giants are so damned likable that it's hard not to root for them to take it all. If the Phillies are in, I'll definitely be cheering Texas on--nothing against Philadelphia, just that my AL prejudices will take natural hold. ^_^

Jsngry, I think each round Texas takes makes it that much more likely that Lee signs with them this winter.

Condolences, Dave James and other Yankee fans. Officially a Rangers fan from here on out. Go down, Giants!

Noj,

Thanks. Frankly, I'm already over it. It was apparent when the Yanks began their season ending swoon that they weren't ready for prime time. I resigned myself to their losing long before they ran into Texas. Congrats to the Rangers and their fans. It's been a long time coming. Wish I could find it within myself to root for another team, but I really can't. If you sliced open my arm the second layer of skin would be pinstriped.

Wooooooooooo hoooooooo, congrats Ranger fans! What an amazing past 10 years for fresh franchises in the World Series.

Only 2 teams that haven't been there are the Nats & Mariners. Maybe next year we can take care of both and get them in. ;)

And right after I marry Jessica Beil...you will really know the world is ending! :P

Oddly enough I saw the last game between the Yankees and the Senators before they moved to Texas. It was a crazy scene, with the fans storming the field in the top of the ninth with the Yanks leading.

Brad, I was at that game too! I remember the fans chanting "We Want Short!" I believe that the mob would have killed him if he had shown his face. (He wasn't there.)

Cost of tonight's pizza: $25.00

Texas Rangers' 2010 payroll: $55.168.114 http://espn.go.com/m...x/texas-rangers

Texas Rangers getting to the World Series on a called Strike 3 to A-Rod: Priceless

Most things in life have a price ( http://espn.go.com/m...ew-york-yankees ). For everything else (the really good stuff), there's Cosmic Justice.

Every now and then.

Edited by JSngry

"Cosmic justice" is PRECISELY what that third out was. I was riding back with three other dads from the high-school football game where all of our kids were playing in the marching band. When A-Rod came to the plate, I screamed "OH PLEASE LET A-ROD BE THE THIRD OUT!" A-Rod got rung up and we went apeshit!

It still hasn't sunk in yet!

And as much as I'd love to take credit for not jinxing the Rangers by staying away from this thread all year, the simple fact is: after 50 years, this franchise has finally, FINALLY, got its shit together: someone with his head not only NOT up his ass but also who genuinely KNOWS the game of baseball is running this team. These guys play as a TEAM, no prima donnas or superstars to get in the way. A manager who sticks to his guns (despite me yelling at the radio/TV "What the hell are you doing, Wash?") even after it cost him dearly in a previous game. And finally, something to play for. Not even in what were the last glory days of this team (96-99) were all these pieces in place.

I said it after the Rangers beat Tampa, continued saying it throughout this series, and I'll say it regardless of the outcome of the World Series: this is the best Rangers team, ever. Period. End of story. No, not end of story: I believe there's still so much more to come, even beyond this season! And I've NEVER, in all my years of rooting for the Rangers, NEVER felt this optimistic about their future!

So here's to winning it all and hoping that I didn't just jinx their chance at a championship! :lol:

Yankees just got a gift on the play where the batter was hit, but not a single ump saw it. A-Rod was able to score on the past ball which shouldn'ta been a past ball. Hope that play doesn't determine the outcome.

FWIW, when the umps blew that call, I had a hunch that would actually work out in the Rangers favor because, even though the run scored, Swisher's still batting and he's been in a horrible slump this entire series. Sure enough, Swisher grounded out, but then the next batter doubled. Had that call been reversed, instead of a tie game, it's a 2-1 game and the Yankees would still have been batting.

So, AFAIC, the umps made the right call. ;)

Even if it happens again (and since most things in life have a price, it might well not), it'll never happen again like it did this time. Most of these guys are so fresh (or hard body-checked by life) that their lack of (and lack of interest in) "show biz" (did you see the post-games? These guys have so NOT been coached in Media 101!) and instead just playing the game as a team becuase it's so damn fun has been a true thing of joy to watch. I'll admit it - I didn't watch them much until mid-August (been working lots of late hours). My son (24 now!) called me up and asked me if I had been watching the Rangers much. No, not really, why should I? Because they've got something special going on this year he told me. My son knows sports like some people I know know music - when they use the word "special", I pay attention. Well, I caught the tail end of a few games shortly thereafter and was hooked. I've had enough "professional sports" to last into the next several lifetimes, ya' know? But these guys... it was like Little League all over again, only...very, very much better. I wasn't around in 1950 for the Phillies Whiz Kids, but from what I've read, this might have been a lot like that...

As for the Yankees, hey, I used to be a fan, really I did, and I mean no offense to any of their fans (at least not here...), but really...fuck the Yankees. Not the individuals (other than A-Rod, and for real, Joe Giradi seems to still be as nice of a guy as he seemed to be when he caught for the Cubs), or even the organization per se, but just the notion that one entity can, with no compunction whatsoever, assume that the rest of baseball ultimately exists to serve its own needs. Already "the media" are flocking to Cashman, Jeter, everybody, "what's next?" "Well, we need to look at some things, assess our needs, blah blah blah". "How does it feel to lose?" "Oh it feels horrible, blah blah blah"

Look motherfuckers -

What's next is the World Series. And I for one need to look at it.

If you want to know how it really feels to lose, I can think of a helluva lot of people better qualified - even in sports - to give a helluva lot deeper answer than a fucking New York Yankee.

If this was not a world gone so horribly wrong, the real "Tea Party" would be taking place in the world of professional sports & the New York Yankees would be Target Number One. (Target Number Two might well be the Dallas Cowboys)

Yeah it's "business", it's "the hard reality" and all that, but so is a lot of shit in life that some people just deep down know to be wrong. Life goes on nevertheless.

But sometimes, every once in a while, something in life comes along that you know to be right, and by god, it makes it. It survives long enough to let you know that even though The Powers That Be have ruled and will rule again because it really is their world that it's not necessarily automatic, and that if you fight the good fight with the right people for the right reasons that yeah, sometimes it does pay off, that "the hard reality" is not automatically a forgone conclusion.

I've been a Texas baseball fan (Astros as a kid, the Rangers later on) for 46 years. I never thought I'd see the Texas Rangers in a World Series. Other teams were always - always - better, flashier, richer, just had their shit more together at every level, and it showed. Don't even dare to dream about it, just enjoy the regular season and then...linger on the outer perimeter at somebody else's party.

Even if it happens again (and since most things in life have a price, it might well not), it'll never happen again like it did this time.

Shit. You mean there was a game last night?

Not really. Only one team showed up.

Yeah, no kidding.

As far as Jim's rant about the Yanks go, it's is not about money but because they have national, strike that, international following. It's been that way for years and ain't going to change. I mean you've got Ghost and Dave who love them as an example. Naturally, Cashman is going to be asked what's next. I'm not a Yankee fan but I want to know what's next. I follow them ad much as my own team. Rangers are a nice story but come next season the attention will decrease somewhat even if they win and people will want to know what the Yanks are doing, what the Dodgers are doing, what the Red sox are doing and so forth. It's just the natural order of things. As a Mets fan, I'm used to second place status; just the way it is. When your heritage is the Babe, Gherig, Dickey, DiMaggio, Mickey, Yogi (I could go and on), you've won 27 titles and play in the most famous ballpark in the world (maybe next to Wembley), you've earned that attention.

Edited by Brad

Shit. You mean there was a game last night?

Not really. Only one team showed up.

Yeah, no kidding.

As far as Jim's rant about the Yanks go, it's is not about money but because they have national, strike that, international following. It's been that way for years and ain't going to change. I mean you've got Ghost and Dave who love them as an example. Naturally, Cashman is going to be asked what's next. I'm not a Yankee fan but I want to know what's next. I follow them ad much as my own team. Rangers are a nice story but come next season the attention will decrease somewhat even if they win and people will want to know what the Yanks are doing, what the Dodgers are doing, what the Red sox are doing and so forth. It's just the natural order of things. As a Mets fan, I'm used to second place status; just the way it is. When your heritage is the Babe, Gherig, Dickey, DiMaggio, Mickey, Yogi (I could go and on), you've won 27 titles and play in the most famous ballpark in the world (maybe next to Wembley), you've earned that attention.

Which is fine. But can we please start talking about it after this Yankeeless World Series is over? Right after the game ended last night, I flipped around the channels a bit and saw that ESPN1 (Chris Singleton and another explayer) were already discussing how Cliff Lee was going to sign with NYY next year. Please. Every other team's hot stove machinations don't start until November.

True Yankee problem may have been too many ex-Indians (Sabathia, Wood, Kearns). It wiped out the Dodgers last year. :cool:

It's nice to know I wasn't the only one who noticed a big time Karma pay-back to ARod -- even sweeter: Strike three looking.

Good to see the Yankees go down, but this series showed they have big problems, with age being at the top of the list. There is no hot, young, everyday player, coming up, on is even on the team now. Even if they do sign Lee, that's not going solve a lot of the problems. The have enough money though, to cover a lot of holes in their lineup. It could be this is 1964, where they made it to the WS, but lost to St. Luis, then 1965, the bottom fell out of the franchise (Jim Bouton's Ball Four has the best insight into that situation).