2010 MLB Season

Does any Yankee fan here seriously think that this team is going all the way this year? I don't see how. Aside from CC, starting pitching is practically at the nightmare stage. Pettite is not quite back, Hughes is a 5-6 inning starter at best and by no means a lock to even do that, AJ stands for "absolute joke", Vasquez should only be used in mop-up duty along with that other wonderful reliable, Chad Gaudin, and Ivan Nova is aptly named, i.e., "no go" after the first go-around with an opposing line-up.

I know it's easy to simply pick teams with the best records, but I really think that the Rays and the Phils are the class of their respective leagues so I expect a repeat pairing of the 2008 Series.

I really think the Giants, with their pitching and improved offense, have a great chance of going all the way. Brian Wilson needs to be a little bit more steady, or maybe pitch less five out saves, Bochy might be over pitching Wilson. Still, I've like the Giants from the start, and I don't see any reason to change at this point. Giants in the World Series.

I never like Bochy's strategy of having Wilson pitch the 8th, and it didn't work tonight. Have to give the Braves there due though, they fought back, and Ankel just crushed the game winner into McCovey's Cove. Best of three series now.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have to say about Cox though that I didn't know before(ATL paper has had some nice first person tributes ) is that one reason he gets kicked out so much is to protect players, better than he get kicked out than them. Plus, players and coaches love being backed up by him...there...said something nice about him! ;)

Over the past few months SI has had some excellent articles on Cox, Billy Wagner and Jim Thome. I think the last one made me think it could be a Cinderella story for the Twins, or that's what I wanted after reading the article. Holy cow, quite the gutty 6-4-3 in the 10th by your Braves!

Quincy, no one, NO ONE has wanted Glaus to play 3rd. I sure thought he should still know how to do it, very happy for him, Rich Ankiel, and Alex Gonzalez,guys that haven't done much of late....

An amazing win!!!!!!!!!! I mean, to be down 4-0 to that staff, and somehow come back, amazing!!!!! :)

I say amazing a lot as well!

Does any Yankee fan here seriously think that this team is going all the way this year? I don't see how. Aside from CC, starting pitching is practically at the nightmare stage. Pettite is not quite back, Hughes is a 5-6 inning starter at best and by no means a lock to even do that, AJ stands for "absolute joke", Vasquez should only be used in mop-up duty along with that other wonderful reliable, Chad Gaudin, and Ivan Nova is aptly named, i.e., "no go" after the first go-around with an opposing line-up.

I know it's easy to simply pick teams with the best records, but I really think that the Rays and the Phils are the class of their respective leagues so I expect a repeat pairing of the 2008 Series.

I really think the Giants, with their pitching and improved offense, have a great chance of going all the way. Brian Wilson needs to be a little bit more steady, or maybe pitch less five out saves, Bochy might be over pitching Wilson. Still, I've like the Giants from the start, and I don't see any reason to change at this point. Giants in the World Series.

I never like Bochy's strategy of having Wilson pitch the 8th, and it didn't work tonight. Have to give the Braves there due though, they fought back, and Ankel just crushed the game winner into McCovey's Cove. Best of three series now.

48 saves....except when it matters.

Wilson couldn't save my lunch.

48 saves....except when it matters.

Wilson couldn't save my lunch.

When Posey grounded into the double play to end the 10th, I think everyone just had a feeling it wasn't going to be a Giant win tonight (at least I did). :(

Whoa. What happened in SF last night? :blink:

Brian Wilson couldn't hold on to a three run lead -- game over. I was listening to the radio broadcast, where Duane Kuiper & Mike Krukow were going on and on how this was going to be a "manly save for a manly team," by Wilson; how "Rich Gossage and Bruce Sutter would be proud of this save," blah, blah, blah. HAH! I thought the Giants had it in the bag in the 10th when Buster Posey came up with the bases loaded, one out, but he grounded into a double play, and that was it for the Giants. It must have been very sweet for Ankiel to hit the game winner, he crushed it. The dude's had a tough career, and he's going to remember everything about that one. I have a feeling they will be coming back to San Francisco for game five.

I'm not much of a National League fan, but that Giants Braves game last night was a lot of fun. Great to see Rick Ankiel win the game. Baseball is all about getting up after you've been knocked down and there's no better example of that than Ankiel. I won't soon forget the sound of his bat making contact with the ball. I'm sure that was music to the ears of Braves' fans everywhere.

On another NL note, Cincinnati is literally destroying themselves. Not sure I recall seeing a team melt down like they did last night. That series should have been tied 1-1, no questions asked. It also shows that no matter how much stuff Aroldis Chapman has (and, man, he has plenty) he's still just a rookie and clearly hasn't learned how to handle adversity. When Dusty Baker visited the mound last night it looked more like a father talking to his son than a manager to his player. I really thought when he came in last night, the way he was throwing, it's was lights out for the Phils. Not so. They are really, really good at making you accountable for your mistakes.

Go Yanks!

On another NL note, Cincinnati is literally destroying themselves. Not sure I recall seeing a team melt down like they did last night. That series should have been tied 1-1, no questions asked. It also shows that no matter how much stuff Aroldis Chapman has (and, man, he has plenty) he's still just a rookie and clearly hasn't learned how to handle adversity. When Dusty Baker visited the mound last night it looked more like a father talking to his son than a manager to his player. I really thought when he came in last night, the way he was throwing, it's was lights out for the Phils. Not so. They are really, really good at making you accountable for your mistakes.

Go Yanks!

It seemed like every time I looked up at the TV there were Phillies all over the bases. First and third. First and second. Bases loaded. The Reds gave up 8 hits, but also made four errors, issued six walks -- one of which forced in a run -- and plunked (drilled) two consecutive batters.

Giants-Braves game was great. What an ending! Braves will be tough at home, I guess. Best home record in baseball or something like that?

Troubling news that Tony Gwynn is fighting cancer. I remember watching him as a point guard at San Diego State, he's blaming it on his chewing tobacco.

Tony Gwynn, the prolific-hitting Hall of Fame outfielder who spent his entire 20-year career with the Padres, has been diagnosed with cancer of a salivary gland.

Rest of the story.

Crazy. I turned it off, I think after the 6th, when the Giants were up 4-1. I still think the Giants will win that series.

We will see.

After Friday's bullpen meltdown, the season may be over for my Gigantes. Sandoval's bonehead errors sealed the deal.

But, idiot fan that I am, I'll be there for my guys until the last dog dies. Kinda like a train wreck: Ya gotta watch.

Enduring the Torture since 1965.

May the Baseball Gods have mercy on my pathetic soul.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Took a pitcher to break up Sanchez' bid for a no-hitter today against the Braves.

Papsrus, congrats to the Rays on pulling off two wins at Texas to even the series (boy, homefield has meant next to nothing so far in the ALDS games...the home team is 1-6 so far). I can't imagine a more dramatic match-up than Lee vs. Price for the conclusion; I can hardly wait to watch it! The upside for the Yankees is that whoever wins--Tampa Bay or Texas--will either have to start their ace on short rest for Game 2 of the ALCS, or wait till Game 3 on Monday. Interesting decision. (In the meantime, I imagine that for once you won't mind a constant invocation of the Yankees setting a precedent for the Rays--as the only team to ever come back to win a 5-game series after losing the first two at home. :))

The downside for the Yankees, in terms of their sweep, is that I almost think they'll be getting too much rest, what with a five-day layoff. CC will be starting for the second time in a row on long rest (and he didn't look very sharp against the Twins), and then starting on short rest after that. A weird rhythm for a pitcher, I'd think, and the whole NY team may be a bit rusty come Friday night when they suit up against either the Rays or the Rangers, who will be coming off of two days of rest after a hard-fought series. But at least it gives Teixeira more time to let his thumb and toe heal--although he seemed to be hitting quite well in any event against the Twins. I can't figure out the Twins; they led the majors in RISP BA (.285) and then just could not get the job done with men on base in the ALDS.

Another note for Yankee fans: Phil Hughes looked about as good last night as I've seen him in a long time. Hard for even a pessimist like me not to feel rather heartened by how things went in the ALDS, but (with absolutely no disrespect to the Twins) the road will get much tougher from here on out.

Edited by ghost of miles

Man, the Braves must be bumming that Wagner got hurt. It looked like after that Hinske homer that the momentum, not just for the game but the series, had shifted into their favor. One strike away from winning the ball game and..... it all fell apart.

Oh and it's WAY past time to retire the Chop.

Anyone else think that if Heyward's throw had been on line that he would have got the runner?

Edited by J.H. Deeley

The Giants win in spite of Sergio Romo. Who got the win...after giving the Braves the lead? How is that even possible? Statistics are crap.

What is even more amazing is why would Bochy put him in when he helped lose the game on Friday?

Lowe on three days rest against the MadBum tomorrow. So, we wait and see.

Edited by GoodSpeak

...and the Braves go up 2-1 in the bottom of the 8th...and maybe 2-1 in the series?

Don't be jumping the gun there Ghosty!

Nice jinx! ;)

Wow! My wife and I went out the door to walk downtown for dinner right after Ishikawa walked with one out in the top of the 9th... just got back and read about what happened. I'm pulling for the Giants in this one, but I still feel terrible for Conrad.