2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said it's going to be a Texas/SF World Series this year.

Actually, that would be quite enjoyable to see. They're the character/narrative teams this year, while NY and Philadelphia are the behemoths.

Kind of weird that after 100+ years of sucking Philly is now considered a behemoth after only 4 straight years of playoffs, but whatever. I guess from a purely "fan of the game" point of view a Texas/SF match up would be interesting. Although I think the TV ratings will take a huge hit. Dang, I was so looking forward to a rematch w/ the good team from NYC this October.

Alas.

Even during the Pete Rose/Mike Schmidt years?

Philly is just plain stacked and consistently good. Behemoth is how I would describe them, too.

I'll go on record right now. If the Yankees drop tomorrow night's game, they will lose the series. For one, a loss will make Cliff Lee seem even more unbeatable than he already does and New York will need to deal with the prospect of seeing him one more time in the ALCS. Second, A.J. Burnett, a.k.a. the human superfund site, will have so much pressure on him that he'll be baked by the third inning on Tuesday night. That would put the Yanks down 3-1 and it will be all over but the shouting. As I said in an earlier post, they will rue the day they were unable to land Cliff Lee.

One other unrelated thought. The networks must be cringing at the thought of a Texas San Francisco World Series.

Yeah, yeah, "but if you do that, who pitches the ninth?" If they keep a three run lead going into the ninth, chances are anyone could have pitched the ninth for the save. Rick Fucking Aguilera made a career out of doing it.

His middle name is Warren. :lol: It was good to hear his better known middle name again though.

I was listening to the Ranger audio (Game 1) and they were starting to count the outs. We had some video entertainment on tap and right after Gardner slid into 1st I was asked to guess when we'd get to that. I swear I could just sense the danger and so I said "The Rangers are up by 5 in the 8th but the Yanks just got a runner on that they probably shouldn't have. The way the Yankee lineup is that might get them going, so it's whether they just tie this inning or go ahead." But then I threw in that such a comeback seemed cartoonish. But soon enough I relayed the scoring to the back of the house. Man, you just can't give that lineup an extra strike even. Once the bottom of the 9th rolled around I was asked again for an ETA, and all I said was "Mariano." I did add "He's older now, but..." She knew we'd be watching our DVD in no more than 7 minutes.

Great way to let Texas get back up off the mat, NY. The whole narrative changes now... "they survived horrific meltdown and go to NY w/Cliff Lee yada yada yada."

Voila--published right now at Yahoo under the headline, "Turning the Tide: the Rangers Suddenly Are in Good Shape in the ALCS After Rebounding in Game 2. Tim Brown Explains:"

Turning the Tide

I agree, Dave--NY's road to winning this series pretty much runs through beating Cliff Lee at least once. If Texas does win on Monday, I have to wonder if we'll see CC instead of AJ for Game 4.

I agree, Dave--NY's road to winning this series pretty much runs through beating Cliff Lee at least once. If Texas does win on Monday, I have to wonder if we'll see CC instead of AJ for Game 4.

ESPN says the Yanks have decided to stick with Burnett in Game 4. Frankly, I'm not sure how you make that call before you know the results of Game 3, but I guess they know what they're doing.

EDIT: Yankee starters in this series so far--7 IP, 10 ER given up. That's, what, an ERA of 15 or something?

I rather enjoyed today's game, particularly because, out of necessity, I had to listen to most of it on the radio (road gig, 2.5 hour drive), AM radio at that. Talk about a primal experience on all levels....

That's a great way to enjoy a game especially when you're driving by yourself, just the way it used to be. As they like to say now, they're "painting a word picture."

ESPN says the Yanks have decided to stick with Burnett in Game 4. Frankly, I'm not sure how you make that call before you know the results of Game 3, but I guess they know what they're doing.

Girardi made that call before the ALCS started. The fans on WFAN are starting to freak out a little bit with this Lee thing. This was mentioned on Mike Francesa's Mike'd Up show on WNBC that follows the football game last night. The Yankee beat reporter, Sweeney Murtey, and a reporter for the Daily News realize this is the pivotal game. Sweeney was talking to Ron Darling and thought it might be similar to the Mets not wanting to face Mike Scott in game 7 of the Houston Mets 1986 series. If that's the case, they better win 3 of the next 4 games.

Years ago, I heard someone say that in a tied series (e.g., 1-1), the third game is not a pivotal game because someone has to win (e.g., someone will be up or down 2-1) and that the pivotal game is actually the next game. I think that is true. If the Yanks go down 2-1, the fourth game, the Burnett game, will be THE pivotal game.

Anyone else not all that surprised that the Phillies won and got the split? Yeah its tough to lose with your ace on the mound, but the other team's ace was on the mound, too. The Phils have more horses plus the home-field advantage. I fully expect them to come out on top. Would be pretty impressive, the first NL team to go to the World Series three years in a row since WWII.

Well, it'll probably take more than 2 runs to win this game...

But anybody notice the chick in the stands behind the right hand hitters? She got a call on her cell, probably telling her that she could be seen, and now she smiles for the camera and even waved onece. That'll get old quick...

Yankees gutcheck report to date: failing miserably.

Be nice to, uh, at least get a guy on base, y'know?

EDIT: outside of the 2-run shot to Hamilton, Andy is giving them a good start so far, the first they've had all series. OTOH his pitch count is already at 74 after 4 innings...I'll be surprised to see him go more than 6 tonight. Jsngry, two runs is more than enough for the Rangers to win this game with Lee on the mound. I know we came back on him bigtime a couple of months ago, but that was when he was experiencing his back problems and looking mortal to hitters all around the AL.

A walk! :excited::rolleyes:

Boy, this game is really going a long ways towards getting Cliff Lee out of the Yankees' heads. :smirk:

Edited by ghost of miles

Lee's throwing a lot more pitches in this game...doubt he'll go nine or that he'll remain unhittable forever...

I think that's NY's only hope--he's at 65 after 4 IP. Still, he went all the way against the Rays in Game 5, well over 100 pitches, and could end up going quite deep into this game. I'd love to see NY get him up to 100 after 6 innings. Hell, I'd just like to see NY get a HIT. He's about to cross into serious-no-hitter territory.

Pass the smelling salts--the Yankees actually somehow finally managed a hit.

On a happier note, I'm following the game with the sound turned off while listening to some hip, interesting, and obscure sides made by a certain famous singer in the twilight of his career, sans certain elements that were later added to the released mix, recommended to me by a certain poster in this thread. It's great! ;):tup

Well, there's your hit!

Talk about gutcheck time, that'll be when the Rangers bullpen comes in. These Yankee bats have a lot of pent up tension in them...

And as far as what you're listening to, Mr. Ghost, what did I tell ya'?

(and thanks for the O-word, glad somebody noticed! :g )

Yeah, but neither are probably going nine, and whose pen do you like better? (rhetorical question, of course...)... here's hoping for a long top of the 7th.

I'll say yes, Yankees' pen probably has the edge. Lee's at 97 pitches, though, so I figure there's a chance he goes close to a fullblown 8, and then you can bring in Feliz.

If Texas goes to the WS and ends up facing the Phillies, how weird will that be? Cliff Lee facing the very team he pitched for on the same big stage last year.

EDIT: Andy finished the 7th at 110 pitches. Very unlikely we'll see him next inning, I'd think. Classic postseason effort from him for sure, and one this team sorely needed, whatever the outcome of this particular game.

Edited by ghost of miles