Is Anyone "A Little Into Jazz"?

BeBop

I could have posted this in the Religious subforum, as far as I'm concerned.

Straight off, I've never known anyone who is "a little into jazz". Seems that people are (1) indifferent (but may profess some "like" because it's got cachet), (2) actively dislike (which is cool because being passionate about music is cool) or (3) they're total addicts. They're nuts like me with storerooms full of recordings, books, instruments, souvenirs, junk...and $118 in the bank, 'cuz they're saving up for a $119 Mosaic set. And they've got 5,000 posts on the Organissimo forums or they lurk like crazy.

Oh, they may have other interests. Or they may be passionate about music in general. But I don't know many "dabblers". Rock, Country, Opera, Dance? They've got dabblers aplenty.

I would say the dabblers are the ones who come here telling us about the new Dave Koz or Kenny G or whoever. They think its jazz, they like it, but you can bet they don't collect smooth jazz in the way that we collect the real kind.

I have known many people who are a little into jazz. I have known some who have about 10-20 jazz albums, of mainstream acoustic artists of real merit. I have known some who like a handful of swing era albums which they own. I have known some who like only 1970s fusion with electric guitars because it reminds them of progressive rock. I have known some who like a handful of ECM albums and see no need to go further. These people are not into smooth jazz or Kenny G, and have no interest in becoming jazz fanatics.

I have known many people who are a little into jazz. I have known some who have about 10-20 jazz albums, of mainstream acoustic artists of real merit. I have known some who like a handful of swing era albums which they own. I have known some who like only 1970s fusion with electric guitars because it reminds them of progressive rock. I have known some who like a handful of ECM albums and see no need to go further. These people are not into smooth jazz or Kenny G, and have no interest in becoming jazz fanatics.

this has been my experience as well.

I'm 'a little into African music'. Don't see why others should not be 'a little into jazz'.

British art centres/concert halls increasingly run programmes that broadly mix and match genres in the knowledge that someone who comes for a salsa band might also like a blues or a folk or a jazz band. I suspect there are many people who enjoy music in that way - a dash of this, a dash of that but not caring to commit. I see no problem with that except when you get the occasional loudmouth who pronounces to his companions, claiming expertise where he clearly has a limited experience (it's always a he, immaculately dressed and attached to a designer girlfriend (envious, moi?).

It's those of us who go for total immersion who are a bit odd.

Would those who listen to some Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman or Louis Armstrong All Stars qualify as being "a little into jazz" by your yardstick ? ;)

I used to know a couple of those among the older generation. Actually they did listen to those "name" bands relatively frequently but never ventured beyond that (even Woody Herman etc. was already off their radar).

I can think of only one person, a woman, who fit the OP's description. She did not have a large record collection, and she had a dozen or so (maybe fewer) jazz albums. So I agree with the tenor of the OP.

Maybe my observation is that people who are a little into music (most people) are not into jazz. And people who are into non-jazz music a lot are not into jazz at all, except for those whose favorite music is jazz.

I have known many people who are a little into jazz. I have known some who have about 10-20 jazz albums, of mainstream acoustic artists of real merit. I have known some who like a handful of swing era albums which they own.

Yes, I've known a good few of these. The guy I buy organic nuts and stuff from - who turned me on to New Orleans jazz a few years ago, listens to nothing but that and swing bands; in his shop, which is nice. He has a little untidy pile of CDs and K7s there - perhaps 50-100, I never counted.

I have known some who like only 1970s fusion with electric guitars because it reminds them of progressive rock. I have known some who like a handful of ECM albums and see no need to go further. These people are not into smooth jazz or Kenny G, and have no interest in becoming jazz fanatics.

I have NEVER known anyone like this. And I DON'T need to get out more :)

MG

I have known many people who are a little into jazz. I have known some who have about 10-20 jazz albums, of mainstream acoustic artists of real merit. I have known some who like a handful of swing era albums which they own.

Yes, I've known a good few of these. The guy I buy organic nuts and stuff from - who turned me on to New Orleans jazz a few years ago, listens to nothing but that and swing bands; in his shop, which is nice. He has a little untidy pile of CDs and K7s there - perhaps 50-100, I never counted.

I have known some who like only 1970s fusion with electric guitars because it reminds them of progressive rock. I have known some who like a handful of ECM albums and see no need to go further. These people are not into smooth jazz or Kenny G, and have no interest in becoming jazz fanatics.

MG

Many of the people I knew at college in the mid to late 1970s were like that. They listened to a lot of Yes, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Frank Zappa, Allman Brothers Band, and other popular rock groups of the time. They had hundreds of rock albums, and about 20--30 jazz albums, and that was the way they liked it. They also had about five reggae albums, ten classical albums, maybe 20 blues albums--they didn't mind dabbling just a little bit in other styles, but the rock music of the time was definitely what they were mostly interested in. They enjoyed the 1970s fusion groups like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Larry Coryell and the Eleventh House, Weather Report, because these fusion groups reminded them of the most instrumentally oriented rock groups. They did not want to venture into any acoustic mainstream jazz--except that they also thought that ECM was "all right to admit liking"--they had a few Keith Jarrett, Ralph Towner, Gary Burton and Chick Corea albums on ECM. A lot of it was cultural and generational with them--the fusion and ECM were "young people's music" in their minds. They could not identify with older mainstream jazz artists, and the avant garde did not interest them. To them, buying a Dexter Gordon album would have been like buying a Dean Martin album, just a hopelessly square, old fogey thing to do. They could not bring themselves to do it.

I have made contact with some of them online in recent years, and they seem to have the same musical collections and tastes as they did back then, or else they don't really care anymore about music at all.

MG

Many of the people I knew at college in the mid to late 1970s were like that. They listened to a lot of Yes, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Frank Zappa, Allman Brothers Band, and other popular rock groups of the time. They had hundreds of rock albums, and about 20--30 jazz albums, and that was the way they liked it. They also had about five reggae albums, ten classical albums, maybe 20 blues albums--they didn't mind dabbling just a little bit in other styles, but the rock music of the time was definitely what they were mostly interested in. They enjoyed the 1970s fusion groups like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Larry Coryell and the Eleventh House, Weather Report, because these fusion groups reminded them of the most instrumentally oriented rock groups. They did not want to venture into any acoustic mainstream jazz--except that they also thought that ECM was "all right to admit liking"--they had a few Keith Jarrett, Ralph Towner, Gary Burton and Chick Corea albums on ECM. A lot of it was cultural and generational with them--the fusion and ECM were "young people's music" in their minds. They could not identify with older mainstream jazz artists, and the avant garde did not interest them. To them, buying a Dexter Gordon album would have been like buying a Dean Martin album, just a hopelessly square, old fogey thing to do. They could not bring themselves to do it.

I have made contact with some of them online in recent years, and they seem to have the same musical collections and tastes as they did back then, or else they don't really care anymore about music at all.

Yes, I'm sure you're right - and the same in Britain. But, being a little older than you, I managed to avoid all these geezers. (Mops brow.) Though actually, some of them, like you and Bev, are probably OK :)

MG

MG

You are describing me up to a point there. Except I began to tire of the limitations of the rock format (and above all, the rock rhythmic approach) c. 1975. The appeal of ECM (one of the routes elsewhere; Ogun, curiously was another) was not that it sounded like rock but took you somewhere that did not have the earthbound nature of most rock (Towners 'Solstice' just floated). I never cared for the American version of fusion which seemed to take the worst aspects of rock (rhythmic arthritis) and attach it to the most tedious aspects of jazz (the tendency to go on and on on just a few chords!).

I actually found 'proper' jazz very foreign for quite some time and, having decided that there was something there I thought I could like, had to force-feed myself for a while. Exposure to Westbrook, Tracey, Surman, the Ogun-ites, Weber, Towner et al, and following up with Miles (acoustic rather than electric, I was very down on electric for a time), Coltrane, Rollins etc began to aclimatise me. But we should not underestimate how different jazz sounds (or sounded then) to a rock-trained ear. I had the same problem with classical music a little bit earlier and just had to have faith that it was worth persevering. It was.

Don't oversimplify the rock audience of the 70s. There might have been plenty who were happy with the somewhat flashy and grandiose names you mention; but there were plenty of others who heard a very rich and different world from the standard blues-rock of the time and sought out the stranger corners. It was also a time rich in exploration of other genres, drawing me into classical, jazz and folk simultaneously.

Of course, to old foggies like MG it would have all sounded like greasy kids stuff (I can visualise his disdain selling me a Yes album in the record shop he mentions working in!). But old folks always see it that way.

Before I went hog-wild for jazz and completely shelved my rock-n-roll collection (as a result of some strange mid-life crisis), I was a little into jazz.

Weird thing is, outside of this forum, I know no one, and I mean no one, who really likes jazz. I can't explain it. I find myself a loner with this strange obsession, not to mention bizarre all-things-Mosaic altar in my work cubicle (plastered with spare DHL-damaged box tops).

They enjoyed the 1970s fusion groups like Mahavishnu Orchestra, Larry Coryell and the Eleventh House, Weather Report, because these fusion groups reminded them of the most instrumentally oriented rock groups. They did not want to venture into any acoustic mainstream jazz--

This sounds pathetic, but I recall psyching myself up to face the record store clerk when buying my first acoustic jazz album 'Round About Midnight. I mean, it didn't have John McLaughlin on it or (gasp), any guitar at all! The clerk might laugh at me for buying old person music! Even more hilarious, the clerk was Zoot Horn Rolo (seriously, he was working in record store here in the '80s), though I didn't realize that till later, not being into Beefheart yet. He complimented me on my purchase. :lol: